Steel Tigers vs Field of Glory 2... (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

aaatoysandmore -> Steel Tigers vs Field of Glory 2... (10/25/2017 2:25:00 AM)

What if Steel Tigers isn't as good as Field of Glory 2. I think Field of Glory 2 has set the standard of what we expect in a wargame now. Good game with good AI. I can hardly play anything else now with a socalled AI.

What's yer thoughts?

stevemk1a -> RE: Steel Tigers vs Field of Glory 2... (10/25/2017 5:42:08 AM)

I loved Steel Panthers. And I have a ton of hope for Steel Tigers, but I suspect there is a few things that will be different. Firstly I doubt the vast scope of time and area that made the original game so appealing will preserved. It simply doesn't make any fiscal sense for the developers to do that. I also know that I myself have changed, along with my expectations ... It's like getting back together with an old girlfriend ;-) . Both of you are older and in totally different places ... but it's still fun to give it a try, will the old magic still be there? Who knows?

I don't have FOG 2 (yet), but I really love Pike and Shot... so I'm sure I will like it too. In the end if Steel Tigers is a good game then it's all gaming Gravy :-) !

rico21 -> RE: Steel Tigers vs Field of Glory 2... (10/25/2017 9:28:38 AM)

It's not just the AI that counts in a game.[:-]
When I play a game, my mind is projected at the time corresponding to the game.[sm=crazy.gif]
It's like a trip back in time.[sm=00000945.gif]
So of course there are times that I love and others do not.[:(]
But if my mind stays in this period the time of the game, is that the game is good![&o]

wodin -> RE: Steel Tigers vs Field of Glory 2... (10/25/2017 10:25:26 AM)

I'm hoping it won't be that 3D used in FOG2 and others like BA as it will look to much like BA and I wouldn't be keen on the abstract scale that would be used.

One thing I hope is that the game offers features not seen in other tac wargames like multi level building's etc. Make it stand out from the others out there.

RodyMetal -> RE: Steel Tigers vs Field of Glory 2... (10/25/2017 10:32:25 AM)

I just hope the steel tiger graphics will be 1:1 and not abstracted.

76mm -> RE: Steel Tigers vs Field of Glory 2... (10/25/2017 12:58:41 PM)

I wouldnt mind FoG 2 style 3D but agree about multi-level buildings snd other “advanced” features. Didnt care much for battle academy.

Erik Rutins -> RE: Steel Tigers vs Field of Glory 2... (10/25/2017 1:19:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore
What if Steel Tigers isn't as good as Field of Glory 2.

Apples and Oranges, IMHO. [:)]

wodin -> RE: Steel Tigers vs Field of Glory 2... (10/25/2017 2:28:55 PM)

I really want to see the visual of style of ST!!:)

zakblood -> RE: Steel Tigers vs Field of Glory 2... (10/25/2017 2:31:01 PM)

if it's anything like Close Combat – The Bloody First screen shots, i'd be more than happy, then again who wouldn't

rico21 -> RE: Steel Tigers vs Field of Glory 2... (10/25/2017 2:46:56 PM)

[:D]

[image]local://upfiles/53841/882987254A6F4073912F5D0F63E315FC.jpg[/image]

ncc1701e -> RE: Steel Tigers vs Field of Glory 2... (10/25/2017 6:50:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: RodyMetal

I just hope the steel tiger graphics will be 1:1 and not abstracted.

Oh yeah, and with correct weapon's range not an abstraction...

ncc1701e -> RE: Steel Tigers vs Field of Glory 2... (10/25/2017 7:40:18 PM)

And, I also hope that Steel Tigers won't be limited to WW2... Would like to see modern conflicts with Kornet, RPGs, IEDs, VIEDs, drones...

Kuokkanen -> RE: Steel Tigers vs Field of Glory 2... (10/25/2017 8:03:43 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ncc1701e

And, I also hope that Steel Tigers won't be limited to WW2... Would like to see modern conflicts with Kornet, RPGs, IEDs, VIEDs, drones...

Would THAT lengthen development cycle. Like pushing Pike and Shot and Sengoku Jidai into one single game. I'd rather have a good small scale game than a mediocre big game.

PipFromSlitherine -> RE: Steel Tigers vs Field of Glory 2... (10/25/2017 8:44:59 PM)

The core systems should be expandable to additional time periods and OOB, but I don't think I am talking out of school when I say that the initial launch will NOT include everything from the last 80 years of mechanized warfare... [;)]

Cheers

Pip

Rosseau -> RE: Steel Tigers vs Field of Glory 2... (10/26/2017 1:09:11 AM)

Well, Erik said FoG2 and SP like "apples and oranges" which may stifle some legitimate fears. At least with 2by3 we know it will be released with an editor, right? I mean...right?

Also, I forgot we have Armored Brigade as a serious contender in the modern era, and his free version was/is quite playable.

rico21 -> RE: Steel Tigers vs Field of Glory 2... (10/26/2017 5:16:19 AM)

Armored Brigade is a real-time tactical wargame, focusing on realism and playability. The game has drawn inspiration from classics such as Steel Panthers, Close Combat and Combat Mission.

Real-time engine
Time period: 1965-1991
Factions: US, USSR, West and East Germany, UK, Finland and Poland
Lowest level unit is a single team/vehicle
Dynamic AI
Huge maps, based on real terrain. The maximum battle size is about 15x15 kilometers
Dynamic campaigns and a battle generator for unlimited replayability
Neutral units
Artillery with several munition types
Close air support, air defences. Air-to-air engagements are possible
Fortifications, obstacles and breaching
Dynamic time of day and variable visibility, wind and ground conditions
Night vision equipment, smoke generators, illumination flares
Unit morale, training level and fatigue, command delay
A database editor for the factions, units, weapons etc.
3D sound engine
And much more...[&o]

Once again France (Pacific Nation) is not represented in cold war.[:(]
No problem, I go to save money ...[:D]

ncc1701e -> RE: Steel Tigers vs Field of Glory 2... (10/26/2017 9:26:33 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: PipFromSlitherine

The core systems should be expandable to additional time periods and OOB, but I don't think I am talking out of school when I say that the initial launch will NOT include everything from the last 80 years of mechanized warfare... [;)]

Cheers

Pip

Well, this is not only a question of OOB. Modern warfare involves system like APS defense against AT missiles. Programming a modern warfare engine must be much more complicated than the old WW2 warfare.

Thinking of it, do you plan the engine to be both real time and turn based with an option to choose?

Thanks

MrsWargamer -> RE: Steel Tigers vs Field of Glory 2... (10/26/2017 11:51:28 AM)

"It's like getting back together with an old girlfriend ;-) . Both of you are older and in totally different places ..."

Smartest comment in the thread :)

Do I want Steel Tigers to be a clone of Steel Panthers? Not really.
I haven't played Steel Panthers in a few years. Not because I no longer like it, but, I changed.

I love Battle Academy, and it's been a year since I played it too.

What do I want in a war game experience now? I'm not even sure.

Frankly, the only game I'm playing these days, of ANY sort on or off of a machine, is Hearthstone.

If you could put Up Front onto a computer, make it online, and vs a person in real time like Hearthstone and free to play, with missions and a collectible option, yeah, I'd consider it the best thing to happen to war gaming.

War gaming isn't always about hexes and turns and obsessions with historical accuracy. It's not always about real time in the RTS use of the term. It's not always about an MMO environment. It would be nice if war gaming tried to actually do something new for a change.

rico21 -> RE: Steel Tigers vs Field of Glory 2... (10/26/2017 3:29:01 PM)

Great but if I play Hearthstone, my mind who is projected at the time corresponding to the game, where?, when?, [&:]
I'm afraid [X(]
and I don't want to change![:(]
I expect Matrix do the same thing better and cheaper![:D]

Kuokkanen -> RE: Steel Tigers vs Field of Glory 2... (10/26/2017 3:29:08 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

It would be nice if war gaming tried to actually do something new for a change.

Do you have any good ideas for that? Hey, look up Burden of Command

aaatoysandmore -> RE: Steel Tigers vs Field of Glory 2... (10/26/2017 6:32:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: PipFromSlitherine

WAAAHT!! Steel Panthers included everything in WWII. Now don't be greedy like Battlefront and put everything that should be in one game into 16000 modules to sell just because you want more money out of us. [:'(]

Post WWII you can keep anyway; I never bought Mechwars or whatever it's called in the Steel Panthers family anyways. For some reasons warfare just doesn't impress me post WWII. There's no challenge to it anymore. Just press a button and blow everyone up. [:'(]

Only modern sorta wargame I have post WWII is called "Nukewars" a funny lil simple wargame of building nuclear weapons and blowing each nation off the map and being declared the winner of a flame out burnt background at the end of the game screen.

MrsWargamer -> RE: Steel Tigers vs Field of Glory 2... (10/27/2017 12:00:50 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

quote:

It would be nice if war gaming tried to actually do something new for a change.

Do you have any good ideas for that? Hey, look up Burden of Command

Actually mentioned an idea in my post.

TDefender -> RE: Steel Tigers vs Field of Glory 2... (10/27/2017 4:33:24 PM)

quote:

What if Steel Tigers isn't as good as Field of Glory 2. I think Field of Glory 2 has set the standard of what we expect in a wargame now. Good game with good AI. I can hardly play anything else now with a socalled AI.

What's yer thoughts?

Field of Glory 2 has probably set a new standard as to graphics and interface, which are amazing indeed, but I cannot say the same as to gameplay (I still consider Field of Glory better ) . I therefore hope for Steel Tigers a good balance between graphics and gameplay. [;)]

wodin -> RE: Steel Tigers vs Field of Glory 2... (10/27/2017 6:09:50 PM)

Hmmm..but I feel ST has to follow SP in the fact of being detailed and as little abstraction as possible. BA is just a totally different type of game. I'm hoping for SP+++ not BA+++.

If it goes more like BA then I see no reason at all why it should have been classed as the sequel to SP. Would make little sense as people will be expecting an updated SP game not a total departure from it.

IU also agree that wargaming is more than turns and hexes..but if your developing a game as the new SP then hexes and turns (maybe go wego) is what you have to do. Otherwise don't mention SP at all.
quote:

"It's like getting back together with an old girlfriend ;-) . Both of you are older and in totally different places ..."

Smartest comment in the thread :)

Do I want Steel Tigers to be a clone of Steel Panthers? Not really.
I haven't played Steel Panthers in a few years. Not because I no longer like it, but, I changed.

I love Battle Academy, and it's been a year since I played it too.

What do I want in a war game experience now? I'm not even sure.

Frankly, the only game I'm playing these days, of ANY sort on or off of a machine, is Hearthstone.

If you could put Up Front onto a computer, make it online, and vs a person in real time like Hearthstone and free to play, with missions and a collectible option, yeah, I'd consider it the best thing to happen to war gaming.

War gaming isn't always about hexes and turns and obsessions with historical accuracy. It's not always about real time in the RTS use of the term. It's not always about an MMO environment. It would be nice if war gaming tried to actually do something new for a change.

MrsWargamer -> RE: Steel Tigers vs Field of Glory 2... (10/27/2017 7:27:34 PM)

I'd like it if Steel Tigers went with WEGO.

sIg3b -> RE: Steel Tigers vs Field of Glory 2... (10/27/2017 9:03:18 PM)

IgoUgo or Wego are both acceptable.

But only with hexes and 2D it´s the spiritual heir of Steel Panthers. I´d lose all interest in that project if they dropped hexes/2D.

aaatoysandmore -> RE: Steel Tigers vs Field of Glory 2... (10/27/2017 9:35:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: TDefender

quote:

What's yer thoughts?

Field of Glory 2 has probably set a new standard as to graphics and interface, which are amazing indeed, but I cannot say the same as to gameplay (I still consider Field of Glory better ) . I therefore hope for Steel Tigers a good balance between graphics and gameplay. [;)]

But, you are in a crowd of the few that prefer FoG1 over FoG2. [:-]

I wouldn't play FoG1 if Matrix/Slitherine paid me and gave me a free copy of "Steel Tigers", well maybe Steel Tigers but, I'd only play it once just to get the free game of Steel Tigers. [:'(]

Rosseau -> RE: Steel Tigers vs Field of Glory 2... (10/27/2017 10:52:07 PM)

I'm with Wodin's comments on this, as are the hardcores who still play SP, SPWW2 and SPMBT. But again, being it's 2by3, I don't think we'll get Battlefield Academy 3. But they do mention that BA "engine" don't they?

aaatoysandmore -> RE: Steel Tigers vs Field of Glory 2... (10/28/2017 4:44:48 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rosseau

I'm with Wodin's comments on this, as are the hardcores who still play SP, SPWW2 and SPMBT. But again, being it's 2by3, I don't think we'll get Battlefield Academy 3. But they do mention that BA "engine" don't they?

I'm an isometric fan, not cartoony look like BA, but 3/4 view of realistic looking tanks and other equipment an infantry. Flat top down games are old and outdated to me. I want something refreshing and interesting to the eye. I would like a minatures feel to it like Field of Glory 2. But, as the saying goes: we don't always get what we want.

Not to say I wouldn't buy it; but, if it's just like the old Steel Panthers it won't be a first day buy and most likely will be a christmas buy.

rico21 -> RE: Steel Tigers vs Field of Glory 2... (10/28/2017 8:21:08 AM)

If Steel Tigers is Battle Academy 3, I'll buy![&o]
If Steel Tigers is SPWWII 2, I'll buy![&o]
If Steel Tigers is Steel Tiger 1, I do not know![&:][:D]

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI