too difficult to play... (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support

dogleg97 -> too difficult to play... (10/27/2017 7:05:33 PM)

I should have looked more closely at the complexity level of this game. This game is out of my league...the manual is Huge and impossible to grasp.

Oberst_Klink -> RE: too difficult to play... (10/27/2017 7:11:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: dogleg97

I should have looked more closely at the complexity level of this game. This game is out of my league...the manual is Huge and impossible to grasp.

Easy, easy... small steps; there are plenty of AARs and on YouTube some very helpful tutorials as well. Even us grunts and veterans always discover something new every day we play. Start with the Coal Sea scenario, get used to one aspect of the game after another. If you need a PBEm tutorial, drop me or some of the other lads a note.

Klink, Oberst

Yaab -> RE: too difficult to play... (10/27/2017 7:15:59 PM)

...and the forum is a mess.

jwolf -> RE: too difficult to play... (10/27/2017 7:24:46 PM)

It really is a complex game. But you can learn the basics through smaller scenarios. As mentioned, start with the Coral Sea. Play this several times, trying both sides. Some things will work for you. Others won't. In time you can get through this mission, either side, with a credible effort. But don't try to jump right into the whole campaign immediately.

Lecivius -> RE: too difficult to play... (10/27/2017 7:34:15 PM)

Lord yes! Don't start the Grand Campaign straight off, that is a sure way to get discouraged.

geofflambert -> RE: too difficult to play... (10/27/2017 8:01:43 PM)

If a gorn can play this game, any human can. You're not a brainworm from the Magellanic Cloud are you?

dogleg97 -> RE: too difficult to play... (10/27/2017 8:20:21 PM)

where is this tutorial that is mentioned on page 13 in the manual..cannot find anything that looks like a tutorial ?..where on the hard drive is it...have looked at the hard drive...can't find it..?

Lecivius -> RE: too difficult to play... (10/27/2017 8:38:03 PM)

The tutorial never made it to the actual game.

rustysi -> RE: too difficult to play... (10/27/2017 8:47:23 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: dogleg97

where is this tutorial that is mentioned on page 13 in the manual..cannot find anything that looks like a tutorial ?..where on the hard drive is it...have looked at the hard drive...can't find it..?

The tutorial never make it to the final product. IOW there's none. The game is complex and is know to have 'a learning cliff' as opposed to 'a learning curve'. As said above take 'small bites' and you will get there if you choose. It does have its rewards if its your 'cup of tea'. More often than not you'll end up frustrated though.[:D]

Know this WitP-AE = 'Time Vampire' of a game. The plus side is you can take your time and learn at your own pace.

Lecivius -> RE: too difficult to play... (10/27/2017 8:49:19 PM)

It is also the cheapest game, per hour played, you will ever buy. But it takes time getting used to it.

rustysi -> RE: too difficult to play... (10/27/2017 8:53:57 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

Lord yes! Don't start the Grand Campaign straight off, that is a sure way to get discouraged.

What??? That's where I started, and with Japan no less. Then again I do tend to have masochistic tendencies.[:D]

Oh, did I mention I've been playing these types of game for over half a century.[sm=innocent0009.gif] I did have to take a hiatus while the kids were growing up. Heck in his sophomore year my son was on seven different sports teams. People used to ask me if I had a life. My response, 'Yeah, its his', while pointing to my son.

Edit: You may also get answers to many questions here, as you can see the forum is very active. Just remember it requires an effort on your part as well. You won't be and we can't hand feed you the whole game. So enjoy the ride and welcome to 'The AE Zone'.[:'(]

Oberst_Klink -> RE: too difficult to play... (10/29/2017 3:40:44 PM)

I am still up for a guided tutorial PBEM, John. Trust me, it's a fun game and you'll get hooked on it.

Klink, Oberst

boxof4 -> RE: too difficult to play... (11/20/2017 3:48:44 AM)

It truly is a game with a "learning cliff." If the manual wasn't so poorly written and edited I don't believe the game would have the reputation that it does. The others have given some good advice on getting started. The game is well worth the effort.

trojan58 -> RE: too difficult to play... (11/21/2017 12:24:46 AM)

I actually found the best way to learn was to dive in at the deep end. Start the Grand Campaign as the Japanese and really screw things up. learnt really quickly [:D][:D][:D]

patrickl -> RE: too difficult to play... (11/21/2017 9:28:57 AM)

The game is basically form task forces, load them, sail to target and unload and fight. Easy [8D]

Barb -> RE: too difficult to play... (11/22/2017 6:23:35 AM)

And sometimes (and for some) is to click at the Air unit in the base, pick airfield attack, click target, set all bombers at this base, repeat with fighters, repeat for every base in range and watch the "nuke".
Similar to fill a TF up to max capacity with whatever combat ships (BB/BC/CA/CL/DD) available (USS Iowa next to CL Caledon and DEs) and smash whatever lays in way.
Or load three unprepared divisions and smash them on whatever atoll, pick up, land next, pickup, land next, pickup, land next... :D

I do hate when it comes JUST to the numbers and nothing else.

rustysi -> RE: too difficult to play... (11/22/2017 5:40:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: trojan58

I actually found the best way to learn was to dive in at the deep end. Start the Grand Campaign as the Japanese and really screw things up. learnt really quickly [:D][:D][:D]

[sm=innocent0009.gif]

Yeah, except for the quick part.[:D]

trojan58 -> RE: too difficult to play... (11/22/2017 11:42:49 PM)

Yep - what not to do is learnt very quickly - what to do to get it right takes a lot longer. I've been playing since WITP first came out (AI only) and I still screw things up - sometimes with spectacular results [:D][:D][:D][:D]

Treetop64 -> RE: too difficult to play... (12/5/2017 10:41:26 PM)

Been playing this game since the Uncommon Valor days (many, many years ago...) and I'm still learning parts of it.

The game is very deep and extremely complex. It is a commitment, a marriage of sorts. You're not going to figure it out in a day or a week. None of us did, and all of us were just as lost as you feel now when we first started.

If you're into this sort of thing at all, stick with it. You'll be glad you did.

Skyros -> RE: too difficult to play... (12/6/2017 2:59:57 PM)

The complexity of the game means it is very difficult to master or develop guaranteed strategies. We are not under the same time pressures or responsibilities that the actual leaders worked under. The fact that I may forget to do something, miscount hex distances or totally forget something brings in the unknown, bad luck etc faced by real commanders. Just recently had a CV come out of repair and had its air wing providing ground support in China, guess who forgot to put them on Naval Strike before their next engagement.[:(]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI