Historical Fiction for classical period naval warfare (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Mare Nostrvm

drewgalander -> Historical Fiction for classical period naval warfare (11/6/2017 8:48:55 PM)

If anyone is looking for some historical fiction as inspiration for naval warfare in this period can I suggest the Masters of the Sea Trilogy by John Stack.

1. Ship of Rome
2. Captain of Rome
3. Master of Rome

The series covers the First Punic War between Rome and Carthage. Ship of Rome was Stack's first book, and it shows in places, but the series does build well as the author develops his craft. Tends to be a bit weak on characterisation (and issues over some historical detail for the purists) but good action stories with a lot to inspire the reader for this period of warfare, if you remember that it is historical fiction rather than a text book.

Any other suggestions?

Moltke71 -> RE: Historical Fiction for classical period naval warfare (11/6/2017 9:17:55 PM)

Thanks. D/ling Kindle edition now.[:)]

vaalen -> RE: Historical Fiction for classical period naval warfare (11/17/2017 3:41:33 PM)

Thank you very much for telling us about this. I am on my way to kindle once I finish this.

Triarii -> RE: Historical Fiction for classical period naval warfare (11/19/2017 3:08:47 PM)

Alternatively - classic literature and excellent characterisation - Mary Renault's book 'The Last of the Wine'.

Destraex -> RE: Historical Fiction for classical period naval warfare (11/24/2017 11:09:43 AM)

I have read this series a while back. Very good.
But i decided on trireme commander as a game as it is a simulator where this is just a board game verbatim.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI