Jammer (OECM) effective range (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> The War Room

gilmaor -> Jammer (OECM) effective range (11/7/2017 10:48:21 AM)

Hello All!

What is the effective range of OECM? does the database present this data?

Thanks!

Gil,

DWReese -> RE: Jammer (OECM) effective range (11/7/2017 11:36:07 AM)

Interesting subject.

I recently took a Growler and had it fly toward a group of Chinese and Soviet radar units. The Growler took off and immediately started jamming radar units at 180 miles away. As it climbed, more units, which were a little further away, were jammed. When the Growler reached 36000 feet it began heading toward all of the radar units. As it closed more and more radar units were listed as being jammed, while there were others, still further down the path, that were not. At that point I was able to determine that altitude also plays a role in this. I believe that the type of jammer, and the unit being jammed, are also a component.

In answer to your question, with a Growler and Soviet/Chinese radars etc., I believe that they will be jammed somewhere between 175 and 200 miles, from 36000 feet. The distance is probably closer to the 175 range than the 200.

I hope that this is the info that you were looking for. Again, this is my analysis, and it could differ from others, or anything that the game company might bring forth.

Doug

gilmaor -> RE: Jammer (OECM) effective range (11/7/2017 3:11:16 PM)

Hi Doug, Thanks for a great answer.
The thing is, I believe i'd suggest that the ECM range/envelope will be in the data base so jamming units could be positioned accordingly.

Gil,

SeaQueen -> RE: Jammer (OECM) effective range (11/7/2017 4:55:28 PM)

It depends what you mean by "effective." The closer you get to the thing you want to jam, the more power arrives at its antennae. That makes it harder for it to detect a signal above the jamming noise. The real question is, "How close do I need to put my jammers in order for my aircraft to pass a given distance from their target undetected?" That's a function of the system being jammed, the jammer, and the things you're trying to protect.

quote:

ORIGINAL: gilmaor79@gmail.com

Hello All!

What is the effective range of OECM? does the database present this data?

Thanks!

Gil,

DWReese -> RE: Jammer (OECM) effective range (11/7/2017 5:25:30 PM)

I agree about some kind of "hint" of what to be expected could be included in the database. Wondering the same as you, it was prompted me to run these somewhat-scientific tests to at least provide me with some kind of knowledge. Like I said, I don't know if it is completely valid as far as the ranges are concerned, but at least it will give you some kind of idea.

Doug

gilmaor -> RE: Jammer (OECM) effective range (11/8/2017 8:16:33 AM)

Thanks!

SeaQueen -> RE: Jammer (OECM) effective range (11/9/2017 5:14:28 PM)

Sorry to be the geek who complicates things but...

It's completely possible to have things happen like, the target acquisition radar can locate a target but the guidance radar can't lock on due to jamming. It really just depends on all the jamming parameters. It's really fascinating sometimes how much nuance and detail Command manages to capture.

LMychajluk -> RE: Jammer (OECM) effective range (11/9/2017 6:00:01 PM)

Putting aside the issues around being able to accurately determine the range & capabilities of the jammer iteself from propbably classified sources, and its effectiveness against a given platform, it would also be cool if the jamming could show on the map, kind of like the range rings, except more like a heat map or RF transmission map where there is some darker shading near the jamming unit that fades out as the distance from the transmitter increases. That could at least give an idea if another unit is within range of the jammer and how much it could be affected.

Cik -> RE: Jammer (OECM) effective range (11/9/2017 7:26:40 PM)

I dunno, i've thought about exactly how you could make a UI element (or display or whatever) to represent the predicted effectiveness of a jammer vs. a specific target radar (or battery or whatever) but i don't really know how you'd do it. i assume that's why it's not in the sim already. sounds like a nightmare to even attempt to design, let alone program.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI