RE: Are the games becoming too complicated/Simple? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

zakblood -> RE: Are the games becoming too complicated/Simple? (2/13/2018 6:38:41 PM)

agree

aaatoysandmore -> RE: Are the games becoming too complicated/Simple? (2/13/2018 6:53:02 PM)

Give me the beer (you can keep the salty pretzels) any day. [:'(]

Kuokkanen -> RE: Are the games becoming too complicated/Simple? (4/8/2018 5:21:40 PM)

Today as I was shopping, I flipped through a Finnish video game magazine. One that hit my eye was review of Age of Empires: Definitive Edition. There was a line that said something like: "Age of Empires is not the game you thought you have played."

That is something to think about. And I have to agree: I played the game and its expansion in last year, and it doesn't quite feel the same as I remember of the demo versions of the games in the last millennia. How about you? Are your favourite war games from the last millennia still good, has time left them behind, or do you play them with nostalgia glasses equipped?

MrsWargamer -> RE: Are the games becoming too complicated/Simple? (4/8/2018 9:50:06 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kuokkanen

Today as I was shopping, I flipped through a Finnish video game magazine. One that hit my eye was review of Age of Empires: Definitive Edition. There was a line that said something like: "Age of Empires is not the game you thought you have played."

That is something to think about. And I have to agree: I played the game and its expansion in last year, and it doesn't quite feel the same as I remember of the demo versions of the games in the last millennia. How about you? Are your favourite war games from the last millennia still good, has time left them behind, or do you play them with nostalgia glasses equipped?

To answer this question.

I have seen Heroes of Might and Magic go too far. I still play HoMM 3 and couldn't care less what they did past HoMMIV

The same with Civilization. I liked 2,3,4, and 5. Not sure which I liked more to be honest. But I'm not doing 6.

I tried to like a lot of newer games, but I still consider Steel Panthers WaW via Mega Campaigns to be the pinnacle of the experience. I'm so happy I finally got Steel Panthers 3 Brigade Combat to run.

I have this obsession with taking the 3 Squad Leader modules and backdating them to base Squad Leader complexity. I likely should have kept my ASL collection, I could have used the boards at least. Oh well.

I've downloaded a massive sum of Panzerblitz/Leader downloads of maps and counters.

I still often prefer old school board games.

AH Fortress Europa, AH Russian Front, AH Anzio, AH Advanced Third Reich. My AH The Longest Day.
I love how they play properly regardless of what table I'm using :)

Are OSs and hardware change too darned often.

ringoblood -> RE: Are the games becoming too complicated/Simple? (4/8/2018 10:26:10 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kuokkanen

To answer this question.

I have seen Heroes of Might and Magic go too far. I still play HoMM 3 and couldn't care less what they did past HoMMIV

The same with Civilization. I liked 2,3,4, and 5. Not sure which I liked more to be honest. But I'm not doing 6.

I tried to like a lot of newer games, but I still consider Steel Panthers WaW via Mega Campaigns to be the pinnacle of the experience. I'm so happy I finally got Steel Panthers 3 Brigade Combat to run.

I have this obsession with taking the 3 Squad Leader modules and backdating them to base Squad Leader complexity. I likely should have kept my ASL collection, I could have used the boards at least. Oh well.

I've downloaded a massive sum of Panzerblitz/Leader downloads of maps and counters.

I still often prefer old school board games.

AH Fortress Europa, AH Russian Front, AH Anzio, AH Advanced Third Reich. My AH The Longest Day.
I love how they play properly regardless of what table I'm using :)

Are OSs and hardware change too darned often.

Agree

HunterICX -> RE: Are the games becoming too complicated/Simple? (4/9/2018 11:26:09 AM)

Are the games becoming too complicated/Simple?

I don't think it's a question of becoming as from my own experience there's always the too simple & too compicated when it comes to games.
The games I tend to play are easy to learn, hard to master. What for me is imporant is that it has a good UI which gives me the info I need to know, controls are easy to adapt to and the AI offers me a genuine challenge.

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI