Scenarios List: Which have AI or are human only? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV

Monty Patton -> Scenarios List: Which have AI or are human only? (11/17/2017 1:33:17 AM)

I was just about to push the button to purchase this game when I decided to check out the forum for comments on it.
That's when I noticed several purchasers mentioning that many of these scenarios do not have single player capability. [:(]
BUT, there is no listing of which scenarios have AI or are human players only. [&:]

Has anyone posted a listing of which scenarios have AI? If enough of them do, I might go ahead and purchase this game.

Auchinleck -> RE: Scenarios List: Which have AI or are human only? (11/17/2017 1:57:38 AM)

Most of them are 2 Player as it deceptively turns out. The best ones, like the Campaign Scenarios that cover the entire WWII, or Pacific War, have no AI. Would have never purchased if I had known.

BigDuke66 -> RE: Scenarios List: Which have AI or are human only? (11/17/2017 2:13:41 AM)

Not sure where all that nonsense comes from but alone the first scenario folder, which has 9 scenarios, has 7 scenarios with the PO able of taking both sides vs a human opponent.

LOK_32MK -> RE: Scenarios List: Which have AI or are human only? (11/17/2017 2:23:15 AM)

There are many TOAW III scenarios that work in TOAW IV and can be played against the PO (AI) and PBEM.
Here is an older scenario archive: http://www.the-strategist.net/RD/news.php

Already there are several scenarios posted in the Mods and Scenarios sub forum. I am sure there will be more.

spinecruncher -> RE: Scenarios List: Which have AI or are human only? (11/17/2017 2:27:32 AM)

Great I dont suffer buyers remorse anymore.

Deano463 -> RE: Scenarios List: Which have AI or are human only? (11/17/2017 2:28:02 AM)

Almost all the scenarios have AI

Lobster -> RE: Scenarios List: Which have AI or are human only? (11/17/2017 2:38:44 AM)

Just look through the scenarios. Most of them will say whether or not they have a PO (Programmed Opponent). That would make it a single player scenario. The majority of the scenarios are made to be played single player for one side or the other and sometimes both sides.

sPzAbt653 -> RE: Scenarios List: Which have AI or are human only? (11/17/2017 4:07:01 AM)

I'll post this here, it is Steve Hunwick's TOAW III Scenario Catalogue. Note that not all of these scenarios are included in the release version of TOAW IV, but Steve tells us where to get them.

Tamas -> RE: Scenarios List: Which have AI or are human only? (11/17/2017 5:00:47 AM)

Let me copy my reply from the rage thread with the similar concern:

ALL the scenarios can be played in single player without exception. The difference that can be made between the nearly 300 scenarios, is whether specific AI scripts to help and optimise AI planning have been added or not.

Some of the scenarios, and indeed, that usually means the massive ones, do not have such AI scripts and the designers felt that due to this the AI's performance in their scenarios does not live up to the standard set by the other 200+ ones. So they market these "PBEM only".

I'd like to point out that we have almost as many scenarios marked "PO (AI) only", including one of the most impressive and biggest ones, Directive 21, that lets you play the Axis forces through the entire East Front campaign from 1941 to 1945. The designers suggest you play this as the Axis, and your long term victory objective is not to lose Berlin by the end of it!
And also in the case of these scenarios, there is nothing stopping you from playing them PBEM. It is merely that the designers felt that the events scripted etc. give you the most historic result if you play as a specific side in single player.

And then there is the vast majority of the scenarios, where the AI has been properly helped by scripts for both sides AND the designers are not shy about recommending PBEM either.

aperfecturkel -> RE: Scenarios List: Which have AI or are human only? (11/17/2017 6:28:45 AM)

'Ey Monty! Just to give you a qualitative answer:

I just ran though, and of 283 scenarios (based on the number of .sce files in the Scenarios folder), there were only 38 that explicitly suggest "PBEM Only" or "PBEM Preferred" anywhere in the scenario description. But as Tamas said, there's at least some AI running on even those. Anecdotally, I think that general AI does fine on land scenarios but maybe struggles with naval/invasion-heavy situations, or certain scenarios designed with "house rules" in mind or otherwise goofy functionality.

gerardo -> RE: Scenarios List: Which have AI or are human only? (11/17/2017 9:17:36 AM)

So just to be clear, is there a comprehensive list of wich scenarios are AI capable and wich ones are not? I don't want to go through each one by myself to find it

Tamas -> RE: Scenarios List: Which have AI or are human only? (11/17/2017 10:49:49 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: gerardo

So just to be clear, is there a comprehensive list of wich scenarios are AI capable and wich ones are not? I don't want to go through each one by myself to find it

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4378959&mpage=1&key=�

gerardo -> RE: Scenarios List: Which have AI or are human only? (11/17/2017 12:13:17 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tamas

quote:

ORIGINAL: gerardo

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4378959&mpage=1&key=�

Thank you

RFalvo69 -> RE: Scenarios List: Which have AI or are human only? (11/17/2017 1:12:50 PM)

IMHO, the sheer number of scenarios, and the size/length of some of those with PO (just look at the aforementioned Directive 21) make this truly a First World Problem. We are not talking about a game with "almost 300 scenarios of 15-20 minutes length". Some of them could be sold as full games - and we are talking about 300 scenarios in a single package...

Of course you can always ask for a refund and buy World in Flames instead [;)]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI