Multi Monitor (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV

goodwoodrw -> Multi Monitor (11/17/2017 8:51:34 AM)

Does the game support more than one monitor

Shadrach -> RE: Multi Monitor (11/17/2017 9:23:00 AM)

Apparently it does, someone else posted they were able to run it on two screens, although I can't see how it would work in practice.

I also heard you are able to move the informational boxes by dragging them, and possibly to another display, but not had a chance to test it.

JPJ -> RE: Multi Monitor (11/17/2017 11:00:04 AM)

I can run it on two screens (left/right) without changing the screen resolution in the opart .ini file.

My main screen is left. The buttons, air view and unit view panels remain fixed where they are near the right edge of the window, so, on two screens they are on the far right of my second screen.

gbaby -> RE: Multi Monitor (11/17/2017 1:49:55 PM)

The game is windowed, which means you can adjust the window size as you like. If your desktop spans multiple monitors, you can resize the game's window. That is it.

The info panels "float" only in that it allows the map to be drawn behind them, so they float on the map. But they are not seperate windows, they are static in the game. So they cannot be moved in the game window, they are locked in their positions.

JPJ -> RE: Multi Monitor (11/17/2017 2:03:26 PM)

quote:

The info panels "float" only in that it allows the map to be drawn behind them, so they float on the map. But they are not seperate windows, they are static in the game. So they cannot be moved in the game window, they are locked in their positions.

Not all info panels are locked. You can drag the Micro View, Air War and Buttons pannels to other locations if you want.

Micro View panel: drag the thick edge.
Air War panel: hover above it and drag.
Buttons panel: touch the fine right or bottom outer edge and drag. I had to try a couple of times to find where to drag this one.

Shadrach -> RE: Multi Monitor (11/17/2017 3:29:42 PM)

Would be nice if the Unit Info, Status Bar and the View Panel could be moveable as well.
And they really should have some indicator of where to grab to move, a little cross or something.

Would be even nicer if the panels were made so they could be moved onto another display - like CmdOps2 does it. So you can have lots of panels and stats on one display and the map free of clutter on the other.

ralphtricky -> RE: Multi Monitor (11/17/2017 4:22:45 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: stian

Would be nice if the Unit Info, Status Bar and the View Panel could be moveable as well.
And they really should have some indicator of where to grab to move, a little cross or something.

Would be even nicer if the panels were made so they could be moved onto another display - like CmdOps2 does it. So you can have lots of panels and stats on one display and the map free of clutter on the other.

Everything should be movable. Grab bars were planned for, but I ran out of time. The mouse cursor does change when over a drag point, please let me know if the bugs forum if there is any place where it doesn't happen.

Separate multiple windows were the norm for a brief period in the 90s. The Symantec C++ environment used that paradigm. The industry has largely moved away from it to the current way of doing it. I do plan to allow for saving windows states, the code allows it, but again, it didn't make the cut for the initial release, mainly because I wanted to make sure that I got that piece added without adding that level of potential for messing things up.

Sniper31 -> RE: Multi Monitor (11/17/2017 4:32:59 PM)

Moveable windows will be a nice feature when you are able to get it coded in Ralph, thanks for the update. I have only scratched the surface of TOAW IV thus far, but so far I must commend you and the other developers for a job well done, both with the game itself and also your feedback and activity here on the forums.

muzzlehead -> RE: Multi Monitor (11/17/2017 6:13:15 PM)

I would like to be able to shift the screen to the left or right so that the map sits on one monitor then the 'off map' area allowing space for the panels in the black space. Currently when you stretch the window across 2 monitors it centers the map between the 2 monitors.. effectively splitting the map between the monitors when you zoom in.

I have multiple games that allow for the window to bridge 2 monitors and also allows you to align the screen to the left or right.

Perhaps there is a way to align to left or right, if so please let me know I am new to TOAW series.

Shadrach -> RE: Multi Monitor (11/17/2017 6:30:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ralphtrick
Everything should be movable. Grab bars were planned for, but I ran out of time. The mouse cursor does change when over a drag point, please let me know if the bugs forum if there is any place where it doesn't happen.

Separate multiple windows were the norm for a brief period in the 90s. The Symantec C++ environment used that paradigm. The industry has largely moved away from it to the current way of doing it. I do plan to allow for saving windows states, the code allows it, but again, it didn't make the cut for the initial release, mainly because I wanted to make sure that I got that piece added without adding that level of potential for messing things up.

Thanks for that update Ralph, much appreciated.

By "everything" do you include the Unit Info panel and the Status Bar? Because I've been unable to get a grab on those at all. And can't say I've noticed the cursor changing either. A small grab icon to let us know where to grab would be great if you can get it.

Remembering window states would also be *excellent*, I think I'd prefer to have everything on the left side, because that's how I'm used to from CmdOps and stuff like Photoshop [:)]

CmdOps2 uses separate windows to great effect, by allowing the user to move windows to another display, it's a neat feature.

gbaby -> RE: Multi Monitor (11/17/2017 6:35:24 PM)

Alright, I stand corrected. Except for the unit info window and info bar, you can move the other floating windows. Of course, I left them where they are!

alwaysdime -> RE: Multi Monitor (11/17/2017 6:46:57 PM)

I really want that unit info window to be moveable. I have a large screen and tend to lean to my left so its easier moving everything over there. That's just personal preference of course.

JPJ -> RE: Multi Monitor (11/18/2017 12:06:50 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ralphtrick

The mouse cursor does change when over a drag point, please let me know if the bugs forum if there is any place where it doesn't happen.

It does not change over a drag point for the Micro View, Air War and Buttons panels.
I put this in a new thread in the Tech forum (assuming that is where you meant with the bug forum).

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI