Can we add a Small Scenarios folder? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV

JPJ -> Can we add a Small Scenarios folder? (11/21/2017 7:33:25 PM)

There have been multiple questions from new players about beginner's scenarios. I think not only for tutorials but also for first steps after one or more tutorials. I think having something waiting for them is important to welcome and guide new players.

Would novices appreciate it if TOAW gets a new folder called "Small Scenarios"?

"Small" meaning not too overwhelming -- not too many units, not too big map, not too many parties/unit colors, not too many turns. A few (not necessarily all!) qualifying scenarios would be moved to that folder from their current folders. (Arracourt 1944?, Crete 1941?, Kaiserschlacht 1918 Mini?, ...?). Perhaps veterans will also like this selection for the occasional quick battle.

See the modded screenshot for a visual idea. Notice I have also ordered the historical folders in chronological order; I find that more intuitive than the current alphabetical order.

[image]local://upfiles/57283/6D511C9FE56B44EF81A134E65F000348.jpg[/image]

PoorOldSpike -> RE: Can we add a Small Scenarios folder? (11/21/2017 7:37:49 PM)

Yes, listing the small scenarios separately is a great idea, and I'd even suggest going a step further and also having 'Medium' and 'Large' scenario lists too..:)

Moltke71 -> RE: Can we add a Small Scenarios folder? (11/21/2017 8:30:26 PM)

An even neater solution would be to filter or sort by size.

Curtis Lemay -> RE: Can we add a Small Scenarios folder? (11/21/2017 8:47:58 PM)

I think that documents could serve this purpose without mucking up the folders. I generated some spreadsheets that estimated the size of the TOAW III scenarios back in that period. See here:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1961976

Similar could be done now.

gbaby -> RE: Can we add a Small Scenarios folder? (11/21/2017 9:05:58 PM)

You folks do know that you can create your own directories and re-org the scenarios as you wish, such as using Curis Lemay's spreadsheet as a guide? Any new directory will show up in the list.

Shadrach -> RE: Can we add a Small Scenarios folder? (11/21/2017 9:55:19 PM)

If anyone who knows which scenarios would fit, can knock up a package of small to medium scenarios and zip them down, along with necessary folders from Graphics Override, it would be much appreciated [&o]

Having the selection menu chronological with 'special' folders separated is a great idea, however I also really like the fact that anyone can just create a folder, and that would crash with that idea I believe.

JPJ -> RE: Can we add a Small Scenarios folder? (11/21/2017 11:14:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: gbaby

You folks do know that you can create your own directories and re-org the scenarios as you wish, such as using Curis Lemay's spreadsheet as a guide? Any new directory will show up in the list.

Yes. It is great! I actually have a custom folder there.

Changing the order to chronological (as in the screenshot) is only a personal preference, as I wrote there. Perhaps I shouldn't have mixed that up in the same post.

So back to the Small Scenarios -- More than once new users seem overwhelmed and look for a few small beginner scenarios to try. It returns in many threads. Curtis Lemay's spreadsheet is amazing but perhaps more than beginners need out of the box (and it's not in the box).

Given that it's so easy to add a new Open Scenario folder item (no coding required), I wondered if it were not helpful to present TOAW with a Small Scenarios folder with a few small ones out of the box. So that beginners cannot overlook it where they would expect it, and start playing right away. Not all small ones of course, just a few.

Rosseau -> RE: Can we add a Small Scenarios folder? (11/22/2017 12:41:59 AM)

Not very scientific, but I usually open the smaller-size files up to see what we got. And then I remember to check the Reinforcement schedule!

Sorry Jim, regarding balancing, I am a novice so have my hands full, but it is a fun game to learn.

Moltke71 -> RE: Can we add a Small Scenarios folder? (11/22/2017 12:49:57 AM)

Please let us know how the scenario balances work.

larryfulkerson -> RE: Can we add a Small Scenarios folder? (11/22/2017 2:28:39 AM)

To find the smaller scenarios I'm wondering why we can't just sort the scenario's on size.

EDIT: May I suggest the "Road to Moscow" series of scenario's. It's like a campaign when
you string related scenario's together like that. Reccomended.

[image]local://upfiles/16287/119F408CB2124B61A23D433B4571D7F3.jpg[/image]

JPJ -> RE: Can we add a Small Scenarios folder? (11/22/2017 8:53:53 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

To find the smaller scenarios I'm wondering why we can't just sort the scenario's on size.

How about a button in the Select New Game dialog to sort the scenarios there either alphabetically or by file size?

It would enable novices and veterans alike to locate available scenarios of any size, from small to medium to big.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI