P-38G, B-25C, B-24D not being produced (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

Ftroop6 -> P-38G, B-25C, B-24D not being produced (11/25/2017 4:08:17 AM)

Hope someone can help me with this before I have to restart the game. I'm at the beginning of Nov, 1942 and I've run into a problem. I've got 3 squadrons of P-38Fs I've been upgrading to P-38Gs. In October I had 2 P-38Gs in the pool, so I upgraded one squadron, figuring I'd flesh it out with the new production (I think it listed as 20 per month starting Oct, '42.) Got through October, but no new P-38Gs in the pool (should've been 18 sitting in it.) Same thing has happened to my B-25C and B-24D upgrades. I let the game run through Nov 19,1942 on it's own, but still no new Lightnings, Mitchells, or Libs in the pools. All of the other A/C upgrades seem to be filling out their pools. Any ideas?

BBfanboy -> RE: P-38G, B-25C, B-24D not being produced (11/25/2017 4:30:49 AM)

Do you have any other squadrons that are already using those aircraft? If so, they could have drawn the aircraft that were coming into the pools.

kbfchicago -> RE: P-38G, B-25C, B-24D not being produced (11/25/2017 5:18:04 PM)

the couple P-38G you saw in the pool could have come in with a new unit you upgraded/downgraded...you didn't switch off upgrade of the current models did you? If you did no new models will be produced. You can check this in industry screen or at the city they are produced (maybe San Diego...don't recall off the top of my head).

While the allied player can not guide industry like IJ players you can hold off new models by stopping factory upgrades...

Rafid -> RE: P-38G, B-25C, B-24D not being produced (11/25/2017 6:03:15 PM)

The A/C you mention have the distinction to be produced on map. As Allies you have two different sources of A/C: First replacement rate (abstraction of factories off the map) - these turn up automatically and second factories on the map (LA & San Diego in your case). I recommend to check:

- Are the airframe factories turned off? Either look at the factories in LA and San Diego or better look at industry overview screen (hotkey J).
- Do you have enough heavy industry points (an A/C consumes 18 HI per engine, if you don't have enough it won't be build). I can remember, that somebody ran into a similar problem a long time ago and it turned out he turned all HI in Australia and India off to save fuel. You can check your current HI points in the device/industry pool screen or in tracker if you're using it. If this is the problem then simply turning enough heavy industry on will start production.

Other A/C produced on the map in late 42 are Catalinas and Dauntless - do you have any problems with them?

crsutton -> RE: P-38G, B-25C, B-24D not being produced (11/25/2017 8:48:37 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rafid

The A/C you mention have the distinction to be produced on map. As Allies you have two different sources of A/C: First replacement rate (abstraction of factories off the map) - these turn up automatically and second factories on the map (LA & San Diego in your case). I recommend to check:

- Are the airframe factories turned off? Either look at the factories in LA and San Diego or better look at industry overview screen (hotkey J).
- Do you have enough heavy industry points (an A/C consumes 18 HI per engine, if you don't have enough it won't be build). I can remember, that somebody ran into a similar problem a long time ago and it turned out he turned all HI in Australia and India off to save fuel. You can check your current HI points in the device/industry pool screen or in tracker if you're using it. If this is the problem then simply turning enough heavy industry on will start production.

Other A/C produced on the map in late 42 are Catalinas and Dauntless - do you have any problems with them?

I do not think there is any connection with HI and Allied Aircraft production. You get the aircraft regardless as far as I know.

As a test, turn off all upgrades and replacements for all American fighters. You can do this with two clicks. See if the pool then starts to fill. If that is the case then you have other units that were drawing your aircraft. If the pools are still not filling then-well I dunno...

Ftroop6 -> RE: P-38G, B-25C, B-24D not being produced (11/25/2017 8:50:30 PM)

Here is a screenshot of the San Diego and LA industries. I thought the US production was automated. Why are P-40s updating to K models without me having to turn production on for them?

[image]local://upfiles/14164/F539FEC44CA541EA872C25A7E884281D.jpg[/image]

Ftroop6 -> RE: P-38G, B-25C, B-24D not being produced (11/25/2017 8:52:29 PM)

Also, do I need to stockpile resources in San Diego in order to get HI to run properly? Thanks in advance for the expertise.

alimentary -> RE: P-38G, B-25C, B-24D not being produced (11/25/2017 9:30:43 PM)

If you turn production off at a factory, that factory will not produce any aircraft.

For aircraft factories in the continental United States there is normally no reason to turn off repairs or production. You will have plenty of HI available for production and plenty of supply available for repairs.

No, there is no need to stockpile resources. There is a good rail net and resource availability. The city will automatically attract all the resources it needs to keep its heavy and light industry in operation. Note that aircraft factories do not need resources. They need HI points. HI points are drawn from a global pool. They do not need to come from local industry.

BBfanboy -> RE: P-38G, B-25C, B-24D not being produced (11/25/2017 11:20:56 PM)

I am with CR Sutton on the understanding that the Allied side does not require any HI for the aircraft production - just that the aircraft production is turned on.
Things like Manpower and HI are put in some Allied bases to give the Japanese a benefit if they manage to capture it. The Allies get no benefit from capturing Japanese aircraft/engine plants, armament factories, manpower or vehicle plants as far as I can tell (and I have captured all of these).

crsutton -> RE: P-38G, B-25C, B-24D not being produced (11/26/2017 2:20:21 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ftroop6

Here is a screenshot of the San Diego and LA industries. I thought the US production was automated. Why are P-40s updating to K models without me having to turn production on for them?

[image]local://upfiles/14164/F539FEC44CA541EA872C25A7E884281D.jpg[/image]

Turn production "on" for all aircraft types. There is never any need to ever fool with any Allied production. Except maybe to turn off Australian industry in the early months of the war. Otherwise your economy will run smoothly and you should never have to look at it. You will have everything that you need and then more. There is never any need to turn off any Allied plane upgrades. You want the newer models as they are better.

The only two exception is that you "might" want to leave the B25 D1 in production. The later models have more armament but I find the longer range of the D1 preferable. The second is you may want to leave the P38J in production as it is actually faster in speed than the later P38L. Personally, I leave the D1 in production but allow the lighting to upgrade as the L model is pretty damn good and it simplifies thing. But otherwise leave production and upgrades on for all aircraft and never look at this screen again..[;)]

alimentary -> RE: P-38G, B-25C, B-24D not being produced (11/26/2017 3:18:16 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
I am with CR Sutton on the understanding that the Allied side does not require any HI for the aircraft production - just that the aircraft production is turned on.

I am less certain. But agree that it is not worth worrying about.

If you look at the screen shots provided, you will see that the allies have 3 million HI banked. Barring some pretty extreme circumstances, lack of HI will not be a concern for allied aircraft production regardless of whether it is actually consumed.

Alfred -> RE: P-38G, B-25C, B-24D not being produced (11/26/2017 5:24:25 AM)

Allied on map aircraft factories do consume heavy industry points when producing aircraft.  The consumption rate is a fixed 18 HI points per aircraft irrespective of the number of "engines" powering that aircraft model.

If only North American heavy industry factories are turned on to produce HI points, the Allied player will eventually run out of pooled HI points.  Without a surplus of pooled HI points the number of on map aircraft production will be limited by the current HI turn production.

Alfred  

BBfanboy -> RE: P-38G, B-25C, B-24D not being produced (11/26/2017 7:23:29 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

Allied on map aircraft factories do consume heavy industry points when producing aircraft.  The consumption rate is a fixed 18 HI points per aircraft irrespective of the number of "engines" powering that aircraft model.

If only North American heavy industry factories are turned on to produce HI points, the Allied player will eventually run out of pooled HI points.  Without a surplus of pooled HI points the number of on map aircraft production will be limited by the current HI turn production.

Alfred  

Once again you provide a gem of info that has eluded many of us for ages! Sincere thanks!

Yaab -> RE: P-38G, B-25C, B-24D not being produced (11/26/2017 8:11:51 AM)

Off with them.

P-38 - nah, Warhawks all the way
B-25 - no stinking glass cannons needed
B-24 - there is B-17 for that

Rafid -> RE: P-38G, B-25C, B-24D not being produced (11/26/2017 8:25:56 AM)

quote:

Good news, there is no need to restart your game. Simply turning the factories on (Production "yes") should fix your problem. Also turning "repair" on comes with no penalty. It consumes supply to repair factories if they are damaged (unlikely), but supply is a non-issue on the west coast. The setting "Keep" means the factories will NOT upgrade to a newer model when it becomes available, the alterntive is "Upgd". Some players have argued for intentionally not upgrading some USN bombers (due to decreasing range of newer models), but generally factories should be set to "Upgd" as Allies. So you should check all your A/C factories in the industry screen.

The difference between the P40s and the B-25s is that the P40s are "replacements" (produced off map) while the B-25s are "production" (on map). See the screenshot below with the two seperate columns in the A/C replacement pools.

[image]local://upfiles/50978/B2DD61C5830D424693685E32CB808F82.jpg[/image]

@Alfred: Thanks for backing me up! Are you sure about 18 HI regardless of #engines? I admit to not having any practical experience (I’ll try Japan next). I got my info from the manual, which is pretty clear on it being 18/engine. Then the manual has been known to be outdated sometimes…

Alfred -> RE: P-38G, B-25C, B-24D not being produced (11/26/2017 1:11:47 PM)

quote:

@Alfred: Thanks for backing me up! Are you sure about 18 HI regardless of #engines? I admit to not having any practical experience (I’ll try Japan next). I got my info from the manual, which is pretty clear on it being 18/engine. Then the manual has been known to be outdated sometimes…

Yes.[:)]

Last month I did a reconciliation of my Allied HI points production:expenditure using the data provided in the Industry screen (shortcut "J"). It reconfirmed what I and wdolson had previously posted regarding the consumption of HI points. This time however the reconciliation showed that Allied R&D factories consumed no HI but all active aircraft factories consumed 18 HI points per plane produced irrespective of the number of "engines".

It is true that the manual (s.13.2.2.4) is quite clear that aircraft production consumes 18 HI points per engine (this excludes the HI cost to produce the engines themselves). However, as indicated in the last paragraph of page 232, this only refers to Japanese aircraft production as Allied aircraft do not require an engine for their production. This is why in these two posts I have enclosed the term "engines" within quotation marks. As there is no need for "engines" (reinforced by the absence of any Allied engine production), all Allied on map aircraft production defaults to 18 HI points consumption which is the minimum production cost required by the code.

Alfred

Zorch -> RE: P-38G, B-25C, B-24D not being produced (11/26/2017 2:49:50 PM)

quote:

quote:

Last month I did a reconciliation of my Allied HI points production:expenditure using the data provided in the Industry screen (shortcut "J"). It reconfirmed what I and wdolson had previously posted regarding the consumption of HI points. This time however the reconciliation showed that Allied R&D factories consumed no HI but all active aircraft factories consumed 18 HI points per plane produced irrespective of the number of "engines".

It is true that the manual (s.13.2.2.4) is quite clear that aircraft production consumes 18 HI points per engine (this excludes the HI cost to produce the engines themselves). However, as indicated in the last paragraph of page 232, this only refers to Japanese aircraft production as Allied aircraft do not require an engine for their production. This is why in these two posts I have enclosed the term "engines" within quotation marks. As there is no need for "engines" (reinforced by the absence of any Allied engine production), all Allied on map aircraft production defaults to 18 HI points consumption which is the minimum production cost required by the code.

Alfred

Should this 'engine' thing be addressed in a future patch? Without affecting play balance, of course.

BBfanboy -> RE: P-38G, B-25C, B-24D not being produced (11/26/2017 3:15:04 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

quote:

Alfred

Should this 'engine' thing be addressed in a future patch? Without affecting play balance, of course.

I would think that HI production would have to be boosted by assuming some of the off-map US HI is devoted to supplying WC aircraft factories - IOW a daily addition of HI points without any HI industry on map to support them.

Ftroop6 -> RE: P-38G, B-25C, B-24D not being produced (11/26/2017 4:13:45 PM)

Thanks everyone for the info and explanations. Not sure why the production was turned off; don't remember ever opening the windows, figuring they would all be turned on from the start. Thanks again!

JeffroK -> RE: P-38G, B-25C, B-24D not being produced (11/26/2017 6:28:59 PM)

Something to check as an AFB, I always assume they are turned on, maybe some mods have them turned off.

BBfanboy -> RE: P-38G, B-25C, B-24D not being produced (11/26/2017 7:20:51 PM)

quote:

Thanks everyone for the info and explanations. Not sure why the production was turned off; don't remember ever opening the windows, figuring they would all be turned on from the start. Thanks again!

Sometimes Allied players panic at game start when they see LA not getting enough fuel to fill tankers, so they turn off the HI to keep the fuel for shipment. If they just waited a couple of days LA would get more fuel than they can load in one day and all would be well.

crsutton -> RE: P-38G, B-25C, B-24D not being produced (11/26/2017 8:34:09 PM)

Yep, it is just something you should really never have to look at. Unless the Japanese are in Los Angeles. But then you have bigger problems to worry about...

Thanks for clarifying Alfred.

Alfred -> RE: P-38G, B-25C, B-24D not being produced (11/27/2017 5:58:57 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

Not really.

There is no such thing as altering design parameters without impacting on play balance. Any reputable game designer will tell you that even the smallest change needs extensive testing to avoid unintended consequences. Altering the Allied HI points consumption ratio is far too risky a task for a simple "patch".

Here are some figures to show the potential impact which can result. Actual realised figures depend on the game situation which of course is dependent on how well the Allied player has conducted his operations but most Allied players will have similar figures.

Allied on map aircraft production ramps up considerably during the course of the war. In early 1942 few Allied aircraft are produced on map and the HI production from just a couple of West Coast bases will probably suffice. By January 1944 Allied on map airframe production will have ramped up to about 33% of the eventual total on map airframe production. By that date the adverse consequences of turning off all HI production except for North America should start to be noticed.

By January 1944, if all HI factories are in production (not just the North American factories) the Allied player will be looking at generating about 9,850 HI points daily. This figure can be considerably less if Japan has captured, damaged or managed to prevent the importation of the necessary feedstock for some HI factories. A successful Japanese campaign against Indian, Australian or New Zealand HI factories, all of which are heavily dependent on the substantial importation of fuel feedstock will substantially reduce the daily HI points production.

This daily (best case) 9,850 HI points production comes to about 295k HI points for the entire month of January 1944. In January 1944 Allied monthly on map airframe production will be approximately 276 plus eventually an additional 556 monthly airframes which are still in R&D. At a fixed consumption rate of 18 HI points per airframe, the current HI points consumption would be 4,926 with eventually an additional 10,008 as R&D models enter production.

At first glance this would suggest that there will never be shortage of HI points but there are two significant factors not immediately visible. The first factor is that this is a best case scenario for Allied HI points production. In PBEM games there will be Allied players who will be generating fewer HI points as at this date. The second factor is that the monthly HI consumption is somewhat misleading in that while aircraft factories with a monthly production rate of less than 30 airframes will on average (subject to randoms) not produce daily, the Industry screen shows that all active aircraft factories consume HI points daily even if no airframe was actually produced that day. IOW the real effective daily HI points consumption would be 9,850 (HI points) - 4,926 (airframes @ 18), leaving a daily surplus of 4,924. That daily surplus will not cover the 10,008 R&D when it enters production. Provided the Allied player has been maximising their HI production from day 1, the pooled amount together with any late war capture of enemy HI factories should see him through without any decrease in airframe production.

However the picture is not so positive if the code were changed to require Allied on map airframe production to reflect a consumption rate of 18 per "engine". Using the multiple engine consumption rate sees the January 1944 figures revised to:

• 9,702 for current airframe production (instead of 4926 for the fixed rate)
  • 22,032 which will eventually be required for the R&D as production status is attained (instead of 10,008 for the fixed rate)

At a multiple consumption rate the daily surplus would be only about 150 (9,850 - 9,702) an amount which clearly does not come close to meeting the eventual R&D daily amount of 22k.

AE is chock full of abstractions. If one were to advocate for changing the code to more closely align Allied HI points consumption to the number of "engines" then one could easily advocate that the number of pilots and aircrew should also be altered from the current abstraction of 1 pilot per aircraft to the actual number of pilots plus aircrew which were required to fly the Mavis, Betty, Superfortress and Liberator aircraft. That in turn would require a fundamental reassessment of the current "pilot" replacement rates for each nationality.

Alfred

traskott -> RE: P-38G, B-25C, B-24D not being produced (11/28/2017 9:37:10 AM)

Great post!! Thanks Alfred!!

Humm.. May be the allied player should be able to expand factories?

Alfred -> RE: P-38G, B-25C, B-24D not being produced (11/28/2017 10:23:36 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: traskott

Then you get into an even greater game design divergence as you would be opening up to player control Allied aircraft production. Starting from mid 1942 just how many Allied players do you believe would not then (a) ramp up all their 4E factories and then (b) equip every USA bomber unit only with 4E models. The existing game code cost for factory expansion would be a mere trifle for an Allied player unlike the Japanese player who has to carefully weigh up whether the cost to expand any industrial facility is warranted. A different cost base for the Allied player compared to the Japanese player could not be time justified either in coding terms or in fending off the avalanche of player complaints regarding unequal treatment.

It is a Pandoras Box. It is never an easy task to alter game design parameters and definitely never suitable for a simple patch.

Alfred

Zorch -> RE: P-38G, B-25C, B-24D not being produced (11/28/2017 7:45:35 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: traskott

Then you get into an even greater game design divergence as you would be opening up to player control Allied aircraft production. Starting from mid 1942 just how many Allied players do you believe would not then (a) ramp up all their 4E factories and then (b) equip every USA bomber unit only with 4E models. The existing game code cost for factory expansion would be a mere trifle for an Allied player unlike the Japanese player who has to carefully weigh up whether the cost to expand any industrial facility is warranted. A different cost base for the Allied player compared to the Japanese player could not be time justified either in coding terms or in fending off the avalanche of player complaints regarding unequal treatment.

It is a Pandoras Box. It is never an easy task to alter game design parameters and definitely never suitable for a simple patch.

Alfred

+1
That's kinda what I meant.

traskott -> RE: P-38G, B-25C, B-24D not being produced (11/28/2017 10:30:43 PM)

Thanks for the answer Alfred.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI