RE: I've got a little list, fcharton (J) vs zuluhour (A) (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports

fcharton -> RE: I've got a little list, fcharton (J) vs zuluhour (A) (12/17/2017 2:04:59 PM)

December 8th 1941

Malaysia

Landings continue unscathed. Enemy air forces seem to have retired southwards. In Pattani, two armored units rush west, to try and cut the road from Alor Star. Infantry is following. If this can be done, there will be two Indian brigades less in Singapore next month.

In Kota Baru, a first deliberate attack did not take the place. This is the first time I see this. The damage done is high, though.

Ground combat at Kota Bharu (51,75)
Japanese Deliberate attack
Attacking force 5005 troops, 41 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 175
Defending force 3774 troops, 40 guns, 3 vehicles, Assault Value = 133
Japanese assault odds: 2 to 1 (fort level 1)
Japanese ground losses:
136 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 10 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Allied ground losses:
626 casualties reported
Squads: 12 destroyed, 57 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 3 disabled
Guns lost 9 (3 destroyed, 6 disabled)

Allied Deliberate attack
Attacking force 2879 troops, 34 guns, 1 vehicles, Assault Value = 63
Defending force 5010 troops, 41 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 164
Allied assault odds: 1 to 4
Japanese ground losses:
238 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 16 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 3 disabled
Allied ground losses:
147 casualties reported
Squads: 9 destroyed, 12 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Luzon

The Asiatic fleet is sailing south. Mines off Manila Bay damaged a few PT-boats, and a tanker (Mindanao) was sunk by a submarine. Sweeps over Manila and Clark Field shot down about 30 enemy fighters. I will try to bomb Manila tomorrow.

Off the northern coast, I made my first mistake of the war. After invading Batan Island yesterday, I had moved Zeroes to protect my invasion, but forgot to order them to CAP the transports… Enemy Catalinas had a field day.

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Laoag at 81,70
Allied aircraft
PBY-4 Catalina x 8
Japanese Ships
xAK Bunzan Maru, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
xAK Takao Maru, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
Japanese ground losses:
430 casualties reported
Squads: 6 destroyed, 2 disabled
Non Combat: 21 destroyed, 10 disabled

In other news, Makin was captured. This is my only early invasion in the Gilberts, as enemy carriers tend to hunt here.

fcharton -> RE: I've got a little list, fcharton (J) vs zuluhour (A) (12/17/2017 2:39:34 PM)

December 9th 1941

More tankers

Tankers seem to be leaving Palembang. Today, TK Harpa hit mines, and TK Manvantara, Stryx and Iris were torpedoed. Some of them will sink, I am sure.

Enemy submarines sortying from Manila had less success, SS Swordfish was hit as she targetted attack the Laoag invasion, SS Permit and Salmon was unsuccessful.

Off Luzon, a night naval battle took place, opposing CL Naka and seven destroyers to CA Houston and two destroyers. DD Peary was sunk, for little damage in exchange.

Moluccas first

Sorong and Ternate were invaded today. Ambon should be tomorrow, Manado in two or three days. Instead of going for the Celebes, I am following a Moluccas first strategy. This idea is to cut the link between Australia and Java, in preparation of the invasion of New Guinea, which should happen as soon as Kido Butai is back from Hawaii.

Invasions everywhere

Adak was invaded today, by the seventh Base Force that begins the game in Ominato. It will be reinforced with the 90th Infantry regiment from Korea in a few weeks. I want to take the Aleutians, I am not sure how far I will go, but I see it as an interesting spoiling target: any effort the Allies devote in 1942 to take the Aleutians back divert resources from the South Pacific.

Miri is also about to be invaded. I am not going for Kuching and Singkawang at once. I want the Moluccas first, and mini KB reconstituted. Then I will go for northern Borneo and Palembang.

On Luzon, landings in Appari and Laoag took place, and were not opposed. I am concentrating most of my forces in Appari, to move south to Manila and bottle the Allies in Bataan.

The fall of Kota Bharu

As expected, the second attack took the city. The interesting part was the very high casualties on the other side: two units out of three surrendered. I am not sure I want to pursue the retreating brigade: the track to Temuloh is very slow, so I will probably catch them there anyway.

Attacking force 4735 troops, 41 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 151
Defending force 3148 troops, 37 guns, 3 vehicles, Assault Value = 54
Japanese assault odds: 22 to 1 (fort level 0)
Japanese forces CAPTURE Kota Bharu !!!
Japanese ground losses:
23 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Allied ground losses:
2735 casualties reported
Squads: 117 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 246 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 31 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 40 (40 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Vehicles lost 3 (3 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units retreated 1
Units destroyed 2

fcharton -> RE: I've got a little list, fcharton (J) vs zuluhour (A) (12/17/2017 10:41:37 PM)

December 10th 1941

New York, the Oyster Bar
- … and I will crush resistance in northern China just like I break the leg of this lobster, hahahaha!
- Quiet, chief, quiet, people are listening. And we are French businessmen, remember?
- Get me more of their local sake, how do you call it?
- Lager, chief, lager, but you had three already, and we have an appointment at the Yale Club in a short while, to discuss engine production.

You get the idea, reader. With such operetta emperors micro-managing the early stage of the war, something ungodly was bound to happen. And happen it did, no later than today. Read on.

Ambushed in Makin

It is a lesson I learned during my very first game. Amphibious landings seldom get attacked while unloading troops. They sometimes do before they hit the beach (very bad), and often do while happily unloading supplies, the day after.

In my second game, I was prudent to limit the unloading time, and let the cargoes and transport leave as soon as possible. But the Imperial visit to New York was a time of general carelessness in the Evil Imperial Head Quarters, and some things got overlooked, and then the Lexington struck.

Morning Air attack on TF, near Makin at 136,125
Allied aircraft
SB2U-3 Vindicator x 17
SBD-2 Dauntless x 17
SBD-3 Dauntless x 17
Japanese Ships
xAK Tenyo Maru, Bomb hits 8, and is sunk
xAK Kamikaze Maru, Bomb hits 9, and is sunk
PB Nagata Maru, Bomb hits 1, on fire
CM Okinoshima, Bomb hits 7, heavy fires, heavy damage
CM Tokiwa, Bomb hits 3, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Asanagi, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Yunagi

All heavily damaged ships sank later that day, or had to be scuttled. Kido Butai is not very far north, if my opponent is a little too greedy, I might just…

Hard times in Luzon

Off Luzon, the Legaspi landings met the dreaded Catalinas on their way to Atimonian. A transport, a cargo, and half of the Miura detachment was lost.

Morning Air attack on TF, near Catanduanes at 84,80
Allied aircraft
PBY-4 Catalina x 11
Allied aircraft losses
PBY-4 Catalina: 2 damaged
Japanese Ships
xAK Shinryu Maru
xAP Haruna Maru, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
xAK Yamafuku Maru, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
Japanese ground losses:
1401 casualties reported
Squads: 68 destroyed, 39 disabled
Non Combat: 34 destroyed, 5 disabled
Guns lost 39 (38 destroyed, 1 disabled)

Lesson learned. I am landing in Legaspi.

North of Luzon, in a series of night engagements, CL Natori was sunk by CA Houston. The Houston is probably damaged, as is one destroyer. However, these naval battles protected the landing beaches, and both Laoag and Appari were captured.

Revenge in Kuching

My opponent probably expected an early landing in Kuching, and had Dutch cruisers waiting. Kuching was visited this morning by Japanese cruisers, and we exacted revenge for the Luzon affair.

Day Time Surface Combat, near Kuching at 58,88, Range 16,000 Yards
Japanese Ships
CA Mogami, Shell hits 3
CA Mikuma, Shell hits 1
CA Suzuya, Shell hits 2
CA Kumano
DD Maikaze
DD Nowaki
DD Arashi, Shell hits 1, on fire
DD Hagikaze, Shell hits 2
Allied Ships
CL Java, Shell hits 43, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
DD Van Nes, Shell hits 3, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
DD Evertsen

Near Palembang, yet another tanker was torpedoes (TK Francol). This is our fourth 5000-ton tanker sunk since the beginning of the war.

More invasions

The landings in Ambon went fine, the 41st infantry regiment will attack tomorrow.

In Wake, a first shock attack reduced the forts, but failed to capture the base. I am resting tomorrow, and attacking the day after.

Ternate was captured.

On the road to Yenan

In China, two divisions and an armored unit crossed the river northwest of Taiyuan, on the road to Yenan, and routed a Chinese corps. I am focusing on one theater at a time. Right now, it is the area from Yenan to Loyang. My objective is to take bases, and damage as many Chinese units as I can, before they have the time to rest their disablements.

Ground combat at 89,39 (near Taiyuan)
Japanese Shock attack
Attacking force 22612 troops, 214 guns, 133 vehicles, Assault Value = 769
Defending force 4897 troops, 43 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 129
Japanese assault odds: 12 to 1
Japanese ground losses:
225 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 25 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Allied ground losses:
3507 casualties reported
Squads: 118 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 123 destroyed, 2 disabled
Engineers: 3 destroyed, 1 disabled
Guns lost 17 (17 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units retreated 2

fcharton -> RE: I've got a little list, fcharton (J) vs zuluhour (A) (12/23/2017 1:34:38 PM)

December 11th 1941

Insult and injury

Around Laoag, DD Pope and Pillsbury, may they burn in hell, attacked the retiring transports, and sank a cargo and two sub chasers. Later DD Thanet, Thracian and Scout tried to pull the same trick, but found the screen instead, and got slightly damaged. Not the Royal Navy’s finest hour.

In return, two task forces sank four cargoes fleeing Hong Kong, and a pair of marauding destroyers found a Philippine light cargo

In the air, sweeps continued. We shot down 22 enemy planes, for 9 ours.

The Japanese they are coming

Today was a landing day. We hit the beach on Guam, Sorong, Legaspi, Hollandia, Ataipe and Vanimo. Miri was captured, with a little additional damage to the oil and refinery (from 150 to172 damage).

In Hong Kong, a first deliberate attack managed to reduce the forts to level 2, but failed to achieve 1:1 odds. I need a few days to rest the troops.

In Ambon, a shock attack failed to capture the base, but did damage the garrison.

December 12th 1941

A tanker a day

Two tankers were sunk today, the British Sailor, torpedoed off south Borneo, and the Manatawny, to a long lance attack near Balikpapan. So far, seven tankers were disposed of, six of them large one (around 5000 tons).

Between the Jolo sea and Balikpapan, more merchant ships were attacked and sunk, six Philippine light cargoes, and a larger US one (Governor Wright). I do not think my opponent evacuate all of the Asiatic fleet, so I probably have a few opportunities left.

Atoll captures

Guam and Wake fell today, the former easily, the latter with heavy losses from the Maizuru detachment. The Wake invasion will now reimbark for Tarawa. As for Guam, the 144th is sailing to the south seas.

Luzon

Legaspi was captured today. In Appari, reinforcements are landing tomorrow, and Tuguegarao and Vigan should fall tomorrow. Enemy intentions are still unclear : most units seem to concentrate in Clark Field, but Manila still has a sizeable garrison.

In the air, we are still sweeping, lost nine planes today, for 23 enemies, the loss ratio is now getting close to 2:1, which is good.

New Guinea

Hollandia, Aitape and Vanimo were captured. Wewak should be invaded tomorrow. Invasion forces for Manus, Kavieng and Rabaul are still waiting in Truk, waiting for Kido Butai to get closer.

There is little to say about the opening days of war. We are firmly ashore on Luzon. Mindanao was bypassed, but we advanced in the Moluccas: Ternate and Sorong are ours, and Manado should fall tomorrow. Ambon is a few days away. The northern coast of New Guinea is captured. As for Malaysia, a pincer attack on Alor Star is underway, and my armored vanguards are pushing towards Georgetown. Nothing too spectacular, I am afraid, but a decent rate of advance.

Aurorus -> RE: I've got a little list, fcharton (J) vs zuluhour (A) (12/23/2017 5:15:33 PM)

Often, you can cut off those two brigades in Alor Star with Recon or Armor landed at Patani. However, it is possible for those units to escape if they are able to transition into strat mode in 2 days and are set to strat move on Dec. 7th. This is a very good plan, and the same as I used in my opening against 821Bobo, because it is unlikely that both units, with poor leadership, will be able to enter strat mode in 2 days (it is a leadership check to determine how much time a unit needs to enter strat mode). You will want to bomb those ground units at Alor Star turn every to flip them to combat mode to interdict their movement if they are in move mode. If they are changing over to Strat mode, your bomber raids will not slow them but will be more effective.

If you also invade at Kuantan with 2 brigades, this should shatter the allied units there and accomplish much of what can be accomplished by the Mersing Gambit. There will only be 400 or so AV available to create fortress Singapore. Kuantan also gives you a size 4 airfield in range of Singapore from which to bomb the airfield, destroy British air asset, and prevent the construction of fortifications.

fcharton -> RE: I've got a little list, fcharton (J) vs zuluhour (A) (12/23/2017 6:41:05 PM)

December 13th 1941

Cruisers on the prowl

Mini-KB, which has been hunting in the Celebes since the beginning of the war, is out of sorties, and will repair to Babeldaob, in order to join with the two light carriers that just arrive from the Home Islands. As the trip through the Celebes sea should not be too dangerous, I detached a cruiser and two destroyers from her screen, and send them raiding Balikpapan, where a number of ships have been detected.

First, they found PG Isabel

Japanese Ships
CA Haguro
DD Hatsukaze
DD Natsushio
Allied Ships
PG Isabel, Shell hits 7, and is sunk

Then another gunboat, a much stouter one

Japanese Ships
CA Haguro
DD Hatsukaze
DD Natsushio
Allied Ships
PG Soerabaja, Shell hits 37, and is sunk

Then a minelayer

Japanese Ships
CA Haguro
DD Hatsukaze
DD Natsushio
Allied Ships
CM Prins van Oranje, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk

And finally a batch of light cargoes, some of which might survive

Japanese Ships
CA Haguro
DD Hatsukaze
DD Natsushio
Allied Ships
xAKL Paz, Shell hits 3, on fire
xAKL Anakan, Shell hits 6, heavy fires
xAKL Compagnia Filipinas, Shell hits 3
xAKL Corregidor, Shell hits 6, heavy fires

Nothing huge, I know, but my little raid was a successful one.

Thunder at the crossroads

In China, the crossroad hex between Tsiaotso and Kaifeng was attacked today, a Chinese corps was sent reeling to Loyang. My early offensives are focusing on the area between Kaifeng and Taiyuan. A column is marching on Yenan and on the road from Taiyuan to Sian. I am concentrating infantry and tanks in Kaoping for action against Tsiatso, and as it seems Chengchow is lightly defended and Loyang is being evacuated, I want to capture those two targets of opportunity.

In doing this, I pursue several objectives. First, several of those bases have light industry, which will help with the supply. In scenario 1, I believe China has to supply itself, and this can only be done if industry producing bases are captured early. Second, I am clearing roads and railroads. Given the size of China, holding the means of transportation is very important. Third, the units defending these areas begin the game with quite a few disablements, if you damage them at once, they will not have the opportunity to restore their strength, and be used in defense of Sian or Lanchow.

Ground combat at 88,43 (near Kaifeng)
Attacking force 16439 troops, 132 guns, 32 vehicles, Assault Value = 560
Defending force 4635 troops, 43 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 178
Japanese assault odds: 11 to 1
Japanese ground losses:
504 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 36 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled
Allied ground losses:
1878 casualties reported
Squads: 69 destroyed, 40 disabled
Non Combat: 49 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 6 destroyed, 1 disabled
Guns lost 5 (1 destroyed, 4 disabled)
Units retreated 1
Defeated Allied Units Retreating!
Assaulting units:
35th Division
3rd Ind.Mixed Brigade
Defending units:
98th Chinese Corps

Alor Star

@aurorus, I sent two armored units that landed in Patani on the seventh. My opponent managed to sneak a base force in, and keep the hexside open, but deliberate attack took care of it. Right now, the hex was reinforced by two infantry regiments and assorted artillery and engineers, and another infantry column from Singora is marching on Alor Star by the northern road.

As my tanks are now free, I sent them to Georgetown, which I will attack tomorrow. Two tank regiments operating together on a road tend to advance very fast : attack with one, pursue with the other, then attack with the other while the first one moves in. You clear two hexes in three days.

I have been considering landing in Kuantan, and am still undecided about it. As you say, this provides an air base close to Singapore, but with most of the enemy warships still afloat, I run a risk, and have, with Georgetown, Kota and Taiping, decent bases not too far from Singers.

Aurorus -> RE: I've got a little list, fcharton (J) vs zuluhour (A) (12/23/2017 7:02:08 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: fcharton

I have been considering landing in Kuantan, and am still undecided about it. As you say, this provides an air base close to Singapore, but with most of the enemy warships still afloat, I run a risk, and have, with Georgetown, Kota and Taiping, decent bases not too far from Singers.

Very similar to my plan for Malaysia against 821Bobo... cutting off Alor Star and then advancing down the road with 2 armored units. If you do not land at Kuantan, I would bomb those allied troops there daily to flip them to combat mode and interdict their movement. You may be able to cut the rail-line to Singapore with your armor before they reach the railhead.

fcharton -> RE: I've got a little list, fcharton (J) vs zuluhour (A) (1/6/2018 12:15:58 PM)

The war has been raging, we just played the 23rd of December, so here is a longish catch-up post.
December 14th 1941

Naughty Aussies

I had planned to coordinate all invasions of New Guinea north coast. Everything went as planned for the three landings in Hollandia, Aitape and Vanimo, but the Wewak force was delayed, and only landed yesterday. This gave the enemy enough time to react, and CL Adelaide attacked Wewak, and sank three cargoes.

Japanese Ships
xAKL Tomozono Maru #3, Shell hits 4, and is sunk
xAK Shinwa Maru, Shell hits 22, and is sunk
xAKL Taiyu Maru, Shell hits 17, heavy fires, heavy damage

Allied Ships
CL Adelaide

This didn’t prevent Wewak from being captured today.
Kido Butai is on its way, the next series of invasion will be under air cover.

Invasions in the making

Georgetown fell to my first deliberate attack. The two indian brigades from Alor Star are cut off.
In Ambon and Hong Kong, deliberate attacks reduced the forts (to levels 0 and 1) and achieved 1:1 odds. In Hong Kong, attacks will continue tomorrow. In Ambon, the troops need a day rest.

December 15th 1941

In Hong Kong, another deliberate attack destroyed the forts and achieved 2:1 odds. The city should fall tomorrow. In China, we captured Kweiteh and the hex south of Yenan. I am concentrating two divisions and a brigade to cross the river, but before that, I want the clear the road from Taiyuan to Sian, to protect my supply lines.

December 16th 1941

Slow-mo in Borneo

On the north coast of Borneo, Miri was captured early, and Kudat fell today. The invasion force for Kuching is now off Miri, waiting. My opponent seems to want to make a stand, and keeps sending light naval forces at the escort. Today, we found , and damaged CL Mauritius. She doesn’t show up as sunk, but she should be in a sore state.

Japanese Ships
CA Mogami, Shell hits 1
CA Mikuma, Shell hits 5
CA Suzuya, Shell hits 1
CA Kumano, Shell hits 7, on fire
DD Maikaze, Shell hits 5, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Nowaki
DD Hagikaze, Shell hits 4, heavy fires

Allied Ships
CL Mauritius, Shell hits 17, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Stronghold, Shell hits 1
DD Encounter, Shell hits 1
DD Isis, Shell hits 3

My Nells in Saigon have found another task force, around the Marblehead, sent our way. Bring them on, we have ammo left!

Chinese take away

Chengchow fell today, the chinese corps garrisoning it was mauled and retreated to Loyang, which seems to have been evacuated. It should fall in a few days. If my troops from Kaoping (two divisions and two tank regiments) manage to take Tsiaotso, I will hold all the Loyang area before Christmas.

I am experimenting with a new strategy, in China. In my previous games, I tended to scatter my units, and attack in many places, to catch a lot of Chinese units in their starting positions. In late December, I would be on the offensive pretty much everywhere in China. In this game, I am trying to concentrate my units in stacks 500-1000 AV strong, reinforced with tanks when possible, and target larger stacks and bases, at better odds. The rationale is that whereas “small victories” tend to disable enemy squads, those larger battles tend to destroy them, and a destroyed squad is much more costly to replace for the supply-strapped KMT.

So far, this seems to be working, here are a couple of recent results :

Chengchow today :
Allied ground losses:
1824 casualties reported
Squads: 56 destroyed, 11 disabled
Non Combat: 69 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 10 destroyed, 1 disabled
Guns lost 18 (7 destroyed, 11 disabled)
Units retreated 1

Hwainan today
Allied ground losses:
284 casualties reported
Squads: 33 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 23 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 2 (1 destroyed, 1 disabled)
Units retreated 1

Yenan yesterday
Allied ground losses:
863 casualties reported
Squads: 70 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 35 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 4 destroyed, 1 disabled
Guns lost 11 (8 destroyed, 3 disabled)
Units retreated 1

On the other side of China, Hong Kong fell today. The installations are damaged, I am repairing the shipyards and the heavy industry.

Ambon falls

This is the good news for today. An Air HQ and a base force are on their way, together with transports to take the 41st regiment to his next destination (either Koepang or Horn Island). Namlea should be invaded soon.

As I mentioned previously, I am interested in taking the Moluccas and New Guinea and maybe a few Australian bases around the Torres Straits as early as possible. My idea is to isolate the Celebes the south coast of Borneo and Java. Like Mindanao, they can wait. I alos want to build a strong presence in the area between Ambon and Milne Bay.

December 17th 1941

Between Kuching and Miri, the allies keep coming at our invasion forces. But the screening forces do their job. There is no moon today, so all combat takes place at close quarters, which, I believe, favors my heavier cruisers.

The night begin with an inconclusive engagement between the screen and CA Houston.

Japanese Ships
CA Mogami
CA Mikuma
CA Suzuya
CA Kumano, Shell hits 4
DD Nowaki

Allied Ships
CA Houston, Shell hits 1
DD John D. Ford, Shell hits 2

Then CL Marblehead pops in, and gets surprised, and sunk

Japanese Ships
CA Mogami
CA Mikuma, Shell hits 1
CA Suzuya
CA Kumano, Shell hits 1, Torpedo hits 1, heavy damage
DD Nowaki, Shell hits 1

Allied Ships
CL Marblehead, Shell hits 27, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
DD Barker
DD Bulmer, Shell hits 1
DD Paul Jones
DD Parrott
DD Stewart

And another Japanese cruiser division hunts the Marblehead screen

Japanese Ships
CA Takao
CA Atago
DD Asashio
DD Oshio
DD Michishio
DD Arashio

Allied Ships
DD Barker, Shell hits 1
DD Bulmer
DD Paul Jones
DD Parrott
DD Stewart

Japanese Ships
CA Takao
CA Atago
DD Asashio
DD Oshio, Shell hits 1
DD Michishio
DD Arashio

Allied Ships
DD Barker
DD Bulmer
DD Paul Jones
DD Parrott
DD Stewart, Shell hits 7, heavy fires, heavy damage

Into the day

Japanese Ships
CA Takao
CA Atago
DD Asashio
DD Oshio, Shell hits 1
DD Michishio
DD Arashio

Allied Ships
DD Barker, Shell hits 3, on fire
DD Bulmer
DD Paul Jones, Shell hits 5, on fire

December 18th 1941

A quiet day. In Hong Kong, the minefield is being cleared, and fleeing cargoes are sunk by Betties from Formosa. We land in Namlea, Taytay and Manus, all should fall tomorrow. KB is now in position off Kavieng. Invasions in this area are about to begin.

Around Kuching, no more enemy task forces are detected, and the screen is low on ammunition. I am taking my chances and sending the transports in.

December 19th 1941

Today was invasion day. Namlea and Taytay, invaded yesterday, are captured. Kavieng, Brunei, Kuching and Tarawa are invaded, Tarawa is captured.

The enemy doesn’t seem to contest the landings in Kuching (I have battleships around, too).

In China, on the road from Taiyuan to Sian, a Chinese corps is defeated. This protects my advance on Yenan, which should resume in a few days.

December 20th 1941

Manus and Kavieng are captured. Fischhafen, Malang, Rabaul and Shortlands are next on my little list.

In Borneo, Kuching falls to my first attack. The base will be reinforced. Mini-KB is on its way, to prepare for the invasion of Singkawang.

On Luzon, Bayombong and San Fernando are captured. This will be my defensive line until the 4th division, now landing in Appari arrives. Then, I will try to capture Manila and put siege on Clark Field. In the meantime, spoiling raids on Lingayen and Iba will take place.

December 21st 1941

The fall of Tsiaotso

My troops from Kaoping, a division, a mixed brigade and two tank regiments, arrived yesterday, attacked today, and disposed of the two enemy corps in short order.

Ground combat at Tsiaotso (88,42)
Attacking force 18366 troops, 140 guns, 194 vehicles, Assault Value = 694
Defending force 9198 troops, 38 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 281
Japanese adjusted assault: 466
Allied adjusted defense: 142
Japanese assault odds: 3 to 1 (fort level 1)
Japanese forces CAPTURE Tsiaotso !!!

Japanese ground losses:
507 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 25 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 6 disabled

Allied ground losses:
4758 casualties reported
Squads: 101 destroyed, 20 disabled
Non Combat: 101 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 30 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 6 (5 destroyed, 1 disabled)
Units retreated 2

East of Tsiaotso, an empty Loyang is captured.
North of Tsiaotso, on the road to Sian, another Chinese corps is defeated.

With the Loyang area under Japanese control, and the supply line to Yenan open, operations will now concentrate on Yenan and the north (the Paotow Kweisui area), and clearing the plains between Loyang and Nanyang in the south of the Yellow River. I am not rushing on Sian, as my supply lines are not secure enough (lots of units still roaming in the plains).

I am quite satisfied with my early advance in China. Without reinforcements from the Kwantung Army (since we are PP for borders), I am moving faster than in my previous game against Spence.

Aurorus -> RE: I've got a little list, fcharton (J) vs zuluhour (A) (1/6/2018 1:51:30 PM)

Have you been able to prevent the forces at Kuantan from withdrawing and reinforcing the Singapore garrison?

fcharton -> RE: I've got a little list, fcharton (J) vs zuluhour (A) (1/13/2018 3:27:00 PM)

No, but the Alor Star garrison was bottled, and is in the process of being eliminated.

December 22nd 1941

Silent, and discreet, service

Except for the tankers sunk on the first days of the war, my submarines never managed to hit anything so far. Today, off Lahaina, I-3 hunted her hunter, and sank DD Ward.

I need a submarine strategy. I want to use them in three roles: recon and attacks on “deep” bases, forward defense of my bases, and as a concentrated strike force.

The northern blockade

In the Aleutians, I hold Adak, with a base force, and have autocaptured Atka, Great Sitkin and Ulak. Reinforcements are on their way, a regiment and an engineer unit, both bought from Korea, together with fuel and supplies. In a few weeks, I will probably send a small unit or two to invade empty bases in the area. I do not intend to reinforce too much, but the more enemy resources I can divert north, the better.

A squadron of Mavises (Maves? Mavii?) has been providing, and has been detecting enemy warships around Cold Harbor. Since a few days, a couple of destroyers and one cruiser seem to be blockading Adak. I lack the airfield and the CD guns to oust them, so my reinforcements are waiting for a light cruiser SAG to arrive, and open the way.

North China

Two columns, each about two divisions in size, are progressing, one on the road to Yenan, the other on the road from Taiyuan to Sian. A third column left Kweisui a few days ago, and has been marching north, to clear the KMT units in the area. Today, they routed the 11th Chinese corps. I am going to pursue, rout them again, and then turn to the units south of Kweisui. Their goal, just as in the Yellow river plain, is to destroy as many squads as possible, while the main offensive, towards Sian, rolls on.

Mindanao on the cheap

Today, we landed in Zamboanga. I am sending small units to Mindanao, in the hope of capturing small bases and concentrating the enemy over one or two (central) bases. This leaves me vulnerable to a counter offensive, but so far, in Burma, Malaysia and on Luzon the enemy has been obliging.

In other news, we have been invading Tabiteua, Ocean and Nauru in the Pacific, and landing in Puerto Princessa and Jolo, around the Sulu sea.

obvert -> RE: I've got a little list, fcharton (J) vs zuluhour (A) (1/14/2018 9:30:49 AM)

I like subs as a concentrated force. It's good to have a few out to recon deeply, possibly pick off a ship or two occasionally and to keep the Allied transport/cargo TFs honest, but grouping 15-20 subs around major targets has always been more productive for me.

fcharton -> RE: I've got a little list, fcharton (J) vs zuluhour (A) (1/20/2018 3:34:42 PM)

We are playing five turns a week, and this AAR has been lagging behind, so here is a situation report, as 1942 begins.
January 2nd 1942

Aleutians – blocade runners and reinforcements

The Allied blockade of Adak was broken around Christmas, as a small cruiser force, around CL Kiso, managed to surprise two enemy destroyers, sink one (DD Worden) and damage the other (DD Hull). The allies had a cruiser in the area, but chose to retreat, which was a good thing as my forces were very limited.

This allowed reinforcements to land. Adak now sports a base force, an infantry regiment, an engineer unit and decent supplies. So far, my presence in the Aleutians is limited to Adak. The decision to expand will be taken once I have a few more units to spare in this theater.

Burma – on our way to Rangoon

I have sent almost two divisions in Burma. My opponent had gone for a forward defense, but Moulmein fell on my first attempt (for lack of forts, I believe). We have now crossed the Salween, our troops are resting before attacking again and marching on Pegu. Further south, a tank Regiment took Tavoy and Mergui.

Many ships were detected around Rangoon, including transports. I do not know whether they reinforcing, evacuating, or just trying to feed China. At the current rate of advance, te Burma road should be closed in about a week, and Rangoon should be ours by the 20th of January.

Malaya

In the north, the Alor Star pocket surrendered on the first of January. In the South, we are closing on Malacca. Kuala and Temuloh are ours, and Kuantan was taken by paradrop. Another paradrop attempt to cut enemy retreat was ill fated. I lost half of the third Yokosuka.

Once Malacca is ours, we will control the railroad lines from Thailand. Altogether, I have three divisions in Malaya, two more in Bangkok, and a third on its way. With the Alor Star garrison already captured, I am hoping this is enough.

Singapore has been swept, and is bombed daily to slow fort construction. If everything goes right, we should be able to invest the Lion city by the middle of the month, and hopefully to capture it by late January or early February.

Philippines

Three divisions (the 4th, 16th and 48th), reinforced by armor and artillery are converging on Manila. Both the northern and southern parts of the island have been captured. So far the enemy seems to be concentrating in Clark.

My goal is to capture Manila and bottle the Allies in Clark and Bataan. Once this is done, I intend to keep two divisions for the siege, and free the third.

Mindanao is being taken on the cheap. Three SNLF units took all the bases on the west coast of the island. The 65th Brigade in now reinforcing them. With a little luck it should be enough.

Borneo and the Celebes

The North coast of Borneo, from Jesselton to Singkawang, is ours. In the Celebes, I hold Manado and Kendari. These are all my first phase objectives. Macassar, Balikpapan and Tarakan will be attacked later, at the same time as Java.

On the other hand, Ternate, Ambon, and Timor have been captured.

New Guinea

This was the fastest moving theater. Three infantry regiments and a handful of Naval Guard units were committed there. After the northern coast was invaded, we went for Manus, Finschafen, and then Rabaul.

Port Moresby was invaded and captured last week, and Buna should be ours soon, trapping the units retreated from PM. Further south, we captured Milne Bay and Woodlark Island.

Further south, we landed in Tulagi and Ndeni in the south and in the Gilbert Islands.

Altogether, the December invasions were easy. The allies did manage a few counter attacks, sinking transports in the Solomons, defeating my paras in Malacca, but most of the landings went fine, and progress was better than in my previous game.

Supplywise, base captures in China are beginning to pay off, and my supply and resource reserves are slowly moving up.

My goals for January are to take Singapore and Rangoon, put siege on Luzon, and land in Sumatra. If this can be achieved, I will have two months for Java and second phase objectives (which have yet to be decided).

fcharton -> RE: I've got a little list, fcharton (J) vs zuluhour (A) (1/21/2018 5:10:35 PM)

January 3rd 1942

Night raid on Singkawang

I have a clever enemy, who will make me pay of every careless moment.
For the last couple of days, I have been unloading troops and supplies in Singkawang, while my surface forces were on their way to their base. Zulu obviously noticed it, and sent a cruiser force. It was not nice.

Night Time Surface Combat, near Singkawang at 56,88, Range 11,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
PB Busho Maru, Shell hits 21, and is sunk
PB Keiko Maru, Shell hits 2
xAK Sanko Maru, Shell hits 7
xAK Maebasi Maru, Shell hits 3, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
xAK Mito Maru, Shell hits 23, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAK Tarayasu Maru

Allied Ships
CL Dragon
CL Durban, Shell hits 3
DD Evertsen

Night Time Surface Combat, near Singkawang at 56,88, Range 8,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
DD Yamagumo
DD Tachikaze, Shell hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
xAP Kongo Maru, Shell hits 13, and is sunk

Allied Ships
CL Dragon
CL Durban, Shell hits 1
DD Evertsen

The Maebashi and Mito Maru sank a few hours later. I did not scuttle the Tachikaze, but I doubt she makes it to Kuching.

Fortunately, the Royal Navy did not retreat fast enough. Was it engine damage, or an aggressive captain rushing back, or some other order ? Anyway, Mini-KB was around, and punishment was delivered in the afternoon.

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Pontianak at 55,89

Weather in hex: Clear sky

Raid detected at 75 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 32 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 13
B5N1 Kate x 16

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N1 Kate: 1 destroyed by flak

Allied Ships
CL Durban, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk
CL Dragon, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk
DD Evertsen, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk

Eight hits out of sixteen Kates, I am proud of my flyboys. If Tracker is to be believed, I have sunk six cruisers (for one mine), and nine destroyers (to three), so far.

Although sinking Royal Navy outfits has a distinct charm for a French leaning emperor, I count this engagement as a draw.

China

With scenario one supplies, no reinforcements from Kwantung and stacking limits, China is a bit more involved than in my previous game. So far, I have been focusing on the north, clearing the mountains around Kweisui and Paotow, taking the bases around Loyang, clearing the Yellow river plains.

I am going for a two pronged attack on Sian. A northern move through Yenan, and a southern thrust over the primary road west of Nanyang. At present, my advance is stalled south of Yenan, reinforcements are on their way. On the road to Nanyang, I am waiting for the central plains to be cleared to have enough troops to rotate in and out of the front.

In the south, a general retreat seems under way. Kukong is being evacuated, and we have captured and empty Wuchow yesterday.

One division has been besieging Chuhsien for a while, reinforcements are on their way. I would like to clear the coast by the time Singapore falls.

Imperial travels

I should be back in America at the end of February, with my family. This will be our third trip since 2015. The first one was in New England (from New York to Pemaquid, Maine along the coast, and then through the White Mountains, to Burlington (meeting my AE opponent there), and then south to New York. We had loved the road trip aspect, renting a car and improvising from day to day, so we tried again last April, in the south. We found a flight in to Charleston, a flight out from Miami two weeks later, rented a car, booked our first night, and improvised, from Charleston, to Beaufort, Savannah, the Okefenokee, St Augustine, Ocala, Crystal river, and then down the west coast to Miami.

Another trip was planned in October, in Utah, since Delta has a direct flight from Paris to Salt Lake City (last time, we found the 24 hours from Paris to Charleston, via Dallas, a bit taxing). But the sale of my company happened at that precise moment, and the trip was cancelled, and I owed the family one… The next school holiday, Christmas, was out of the question, and so February it had to be, and since we had already bought travel guides for the south west…

So, we are landing in Albuquerque in mid-February, have a hotel night booked, a car reserved, and leave from Las Vegas in the beginning of March. The rest will be improvised on the spot, depending on the mood, weather, travel guide and road atlas advice, and who shouts loudest. Any advice is welcome.

PaxMondo -> RE: I've got a little list, fcharton (J) vs zuluhour (A) (1/22/2018 2:53:12 AM)

quote:

So, we are landing in Albuquerque in mid-February, have a hotel night booked, a car reserved, and leave from Las Vegas in the beginning of March. The rest will be improvised on the spot, depending on the mood, weather, travel guide and road atlas advice, and who shouts loudest. Any advice is welcome.

Well:
Santa Fe is a no brainer. Have brunch at Pasquales, be patient there is always a fairly long queue. Get your name on it and then walk around the plaza. Be sure someone gets a bowl of the seasonal cobbler.
Los Alamos. The museum is a must see. There is a picture, blown up to life size on one wall with a technician holding the uranium core for Fat Boy I believe, and the entire Manhattan Project team around him in a semi-circle. One of the most compelling photos I have ever seen.
Grand Canyon. Well, you simply must. Try to book a room at Bright Angel lodge NOW. It is right on the rim. Not much more than the lousy rooms outside the park and worth the fact you can walk the rim at dawn. You could try for one of the Bright Angel cabins, but you would only get one if there is last minute cancellation.

Then some other possibilities:
White Sands: Gypsum dune and lake. On many Friday evening, they have a night hike to the lake and the night sky reflected in the lake is stunning. Not water, but gypsum lake. The surface tension is different than water so the effect is really amazing.
Carlsbad Caverns: if you go, book the Kings Room tour in advance and then be sure you are there the whole day as the tour in the morning. The bats will be hibernating, so you will not see the evening flight.
The above two would normally be a together trip as they are about 3 hours apart south of ABQ.

Petrified Forest. You need to check the dates, it may not be open.
Painted Desert. ditto. Not sure it is open.
Again, you would likely stay in Holbrook, AZ and see both of these. You can also stay in Windlsow, AZ (famous Eagles song )

Send me a note if any of these are appealing. Depending upon which ones, I can then suggest other places. EX: if you would go to Calsbad, then I would suggest coming into AZ from the south and stopping as Bisbee, AZ. Things like that.

spence -> RE: I've got a little list, fcharton (J) vs zuluhour (A) (2/11/2018 4:29:02 AM)

From what Zuluhour is posting you seem to be doing OK in the game. So where are you and the famille these days? If you haven't been already the list from PaxMondo seems pretty good: a whole bunch of places that Deb and I were going to visit if we ever made that trip to the SW (we opted for Europe instead). I imagine we'll be headed that way eventually though. Anyways good luck - as a darkside player you'll need it.

obvert -> RE: I've got a little list, fcharton (J) vs zuluhour (A) (2/11/2018 1:48:59 PM)

quote:

Imperial travels

I should be back in America at the end of February, with my family. This will be our third trip since 2015. The first one was in New England (from New York to Pemaquid, Maine along the coast, and then through the White Mountains, to Burlington (meeting my AE opponent there), and then south to New York. We had loved the road trip aspect, renting a car and improvising from day to day, so we tried again last April, in the south. We found a flight in to Charleston, a flight out from Miami two weeks later, rented a car, booked our first night, and improvised, from Charleston, to Beaufort, Savannah, the Okefenokee, St Augustine, Ocala, Crystal river, and then down the west coast to Miami.

Another trip was planned in October, in Utah, since Delta has a direct flight from Paris to Salt Lake City (last time, we found the 24 hours from Paris to Charleston, via Dallas, a bit taxing). But the sale of my company happened at that precise moment, and the trip was cancelled, and I owed the family one… The next school holiday, Christmas, was out of the question, and so February it had to be, and since we had already bought travel guides for the south west…

Great plan Francois. I've done similar, coming rom Chicago to Oregon through the SW and up along the Rockies.

This article has some of my favourites in Arizona. I loved the cliff ruins and Pueblos everywhere. Canyon de Chelley is a must visit. I'll also add a plus 1 for Carlsbad Caverns, although that's a bit of a detour for you. I went aged 5 and still remember it.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2013/oct/17/top-10-national-parks-in-arizona

Mesa Verde in Southern Colorado is great too, as are the Canyonlands and Arches National Parks. I remember some great family camping spots with lots of facilities, like pools, showers and other amenities, and loads of stars out at night.

Have fun and post some pics of the highlights!

fcharton -> RE: I've got a little list, fcharton (J) vs zuluhour (A) (2/11/2018 7:32:41 PM)

First half of January 1942, 4th to 17th

Although we are now steadily playing five turns a week, I found little time to update this AAR. I will try to do better now.

From a Japanese standpoint, the war is going fine. Rangoon fell today, Manilla ten days ago. Four divisions are in Johore Baru and will march on Singapore tomorrow (a fifth and assorted small units, for a grand total of six divisions plus supporting artillery and engineers, will join a few days later). The Palembang invasion is sailing. Life is good in the evil empire.

More precisely, here is a theater by theater round up.

Aleutians

Adak was invaded in the first week of the war, and two nearby bases auto-captured. An Allied attempt at blockading it, around mid-December, was broken by a pair of cruiser task forces. This provided enough respite to land an infantry regiment, an engineer regiment, and heaps of supplies. Forts have been built to level three, we are now working on the airfield.

A few days ago, an infantry battalion has landed on Attu, just as enemy carriers (the Yorktown, for sure, maybe another one) appeared in the area. The island was captured, but supplies will have to wait.

The enemy carriers did not cause damage. One of my submarines have the Yorktown in her sights, but missed.

My goal, right now, is to take the island chain up to Cold Harbor, and maybe the northernmost bases on the Alaskan coast (just for the fun of it). I do not really want to make this an important theater, but if it can cost the Allies a bit…

Northern China

Several offensives are on the way. A tank column is marching on Ningsia and Lanchow, from Paotow. An infantry division is following the major road to Turkestan.

South of Yenan, a long and protracted battle is taking place, enemy numbers are slowly dwindling, I hope to take Yenan by the end of January.

The central plains have been captured, and we are slowly progressing on the major road to Sian. This enemy has tried to defend this area by overstacking troops. I try not to exceed stacking limits, and resort to bombardments, which, I believe, cause large supply usage from the defenders.

Several divisions are concentrated around Nanyang, ready to replace the forward elements as the get worn out by deliberate attacks.

So far, Sian and Yenan are my main targets in China, most of my large units are committed there. A few weeks ago, I was afraid this would take a long time, but it seems the enemy is obligingly retreating, I am not sure why. Taking Sian in March seems likely.

Central and Southern China

With most of my heavy units committed in the North, I cannot afford large scale operations in this theater. My main objective, right now, is to clear the coast. The 104th Division is marching on Pakhoi and Nanning. Several divisions have taken Chuhsien, and are now clearing the area before marching on Wenchow. Pucheng and Kanhsien are next.

I do not have enough resources to commit around Changsha. The only move there is a diversionary attack from Ichang to Changteh, to force my opponent to reinforce this area. When I am blocked, those troops will march north to join the Sian invasion.

Burma

One of the fast moving parts. I committed almost two divisions there: the Imperial Guards, and assorted regiments and tanks. Moulmein fell easily, while tanks took the coastal bases. The march on Rangoon was slow, but we managed to reduce enemy numbers, and Rangoon feel today, after a three day battle. The only bad aspect was that the city installations were trashed, the refineries are 85% damaged, as is the industry, and the port and airfield are in sore shape.

So far, I was not very lucky with capturing installations. In China, most of the resources and light industry were captured half damaged. Rangoon seems to follow the pattern. I hope the same does not happen in Sumatra and Java…

Malaysia

Another easy campaign. We managed to eliminate the Alor Star garrison. All other units ran to Singapore. We captured Johore a few days ago, and have now four divisions ready to march on Singapore (2nd, 5th, 18th, and 38th). The 21st, assorted elements of the 56th and various independent infantry, engineer, artillery and armored units, will join them.

I did not manage to bomb Singapore, as the flak seems very effective, but scores of Buffaloes were shot down by my sweeps. So far, about 325 enemy fighters were shot down (over Rangoon, Singapore and Clark Field), for about 120 Japanese.

South of Malaysia, the norther coast of Borneo is all ours, Pontianak is about to be captured. From Singkawang, we took Singkep to try and isolate Palembang. A division and a brigade are assembling in Japan, and will land in Palembang in a couple of weeks.

Philippines

On Luzon, the enemy is now bottled in Clark Field and Bataan. Manilla fell easily on the sixth of January. I am planning to keep three divisions and artillery on the island, and send the rest of the troops south, to capture the Philippine islands.

On Mindanao, Malaybalay is the last enemy base. The 65th brigade is there, together with a few SNLF units.

Celebes

A “corridor”, which includes Ternate, Sorong, Manado, Kendari Ambon, Dili, Lautem Taberfane and Koepang, was captured early in December, to isolate New Guinea. This then, this theater has been calm. I should be moving soon on Kendari and Bali, as a prelude to operations in Java and on the southern coast of Borneo.

My strategy, here, was to cut communications between Australia and the Philippines. The blockade of Borneo and Java comes next.

New Guinea

One of the brightest spots. Port Moresby, Terapo, Buna, and Milne bay are ours. Small Australian units are withering in the jungle. Horn Island is next, together with small bases in the Gulf of Carpentaria. My objective here is to close the Torres Straits for as long as I can. In my previous game against Spence, not controlling the straits helped the Allies to conquer the Moluccas in 1943, and I have come to consider this area (Timor, Babar, Taberfane, Ambon), as the soft underbelly of Japan.

Solomons and Central pacific

Not much to say. We landed in Munda, Tulagi, Ndeni, and occupy most of the Gilberts. The enemy has been raiding this area, playing hide and seek with KB. So far, my carriers did not manage to cause much damage, which is sad. On the other hand, the enemy navy has been very prudent, which makes my invasions easier.

Imperial travels

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. We are one week from the big day, and as usual very little has been decided… We do know we will first visit Santa Fe, the Bandelier monument and Los Alamos, and then drive west toward Caldera Valley, Jemez Springs and the Chaco Culture Historical Park. After that, it is either north towards Mesa Verde or southwest to Canyon de Chelley…

As Pax said, the Grand Canyon is mandatory, as is Monument Valley (and the parks around, Gooseneck, Valley of the Gods…). I would love to visit the Arches, Bryce and Zion parks, and there is something about Meteor Crater and Hoover Dam, and then, February might be one of the rare moments in the year when the climate in Death Valley is palatable. Choices will have to be made, and it is a good thing, because it will provide us with a reason to come back…

I will try to keep a blog of our trip (http://lescenamerique.blogspot.com). It is in French, but there are pictures (right now, Florida and New England, our previous destinations).

fcharton -> RE: I've got a little list, fcharton (J) vs zuluhour (A) (5/6/2018 9:41:43 AM)

February 23rd 1942

Sorry for the lack of reporting, I know Zulu posts regularly on his AAR. I did not have much time to update mine. We are nicely progressing, over a five turns per week pace.

Invasionwise, Singapore fell last week. In the historical perimeter, only Java, Balikpapan, northern Sumatra and Port Blair remain to be addressed. A few pockets are left here and there, notably in Malaybalay and Clark Field, and we have landed in northern Australia, hold the Solomons and Gilberts, and Adak in the north. With about six weeks to go in the amphibious bonus (and considering we are scenario 1), I believe we are on schedule.

In China, Yenan fell, and we are closing on Sian. In the south, apart from a pocket in Wenchow, we hold pretty much everything east of the Changsha basin, Kukong, and Nanning.

Considering my global inaptitude, there were relatively few setbacks. Zulu pulled a nice carrier attack on my Palembang landing forces, which fortunately happened after the troops had unloaded. I lot a couple of transports in the process. And I did something very silly with my cruisers just today (more about that later). The enemy is not overly aggressive, I am not overly bold, we are both warring peacefully.

The VP ratio now stands at 1.7:1. So far, I lost about 600 planes, for 700 enemies, and LCU point losses are 278 to 4 650. A pretty calm opening, as I said.

Silly Goto

My strategy in the south pacific is minimal. I am using a few marine units as invasion forces, and send them, month after month, in wavelike simultaneous pushes. We did Shortlands, Milne bay, Tulagi, Kirakira, the southern Gilbert and Baker this way.

With the Solomons, Gilberts and all of New Guinea proudly (and coprosperously) flying the Imperial flag, I had decided to launch a new series, over a line going from Vaitupu to Luganville, including the Santa Cruz islands.

The southernmost thrust, against Luganville was a small landing force followed by a much larger cruiser force, under admiral Goto. I was expecting warships in Luganville, and hoped to surprise them with my oversized escorts.

Well, it did not happen… Yesterday, an enemy task force, around CL Honolulu, managed to sink my landing force, without the escort intervening. I can afford an SNLF company two cargoes and a destroyer, but the loss of face does hurt.

With Goto idle and undetected, I decided to order him to attack whatever was left in Luganville today. With a little luck, they would find the cruiser force low on ammo, and with six cruisers to his one light…

Well, we found them, and we lost a light cruiser and a destroyer to CL Honolulu, and then, three more cruisers to CA Pensacola and Minneapolis. The loss of seven SOC-Seagull on the ground makes me suspect we got something return, but still…

Japanese Ships
CA Aoba
CA Kinugasa, Shell hits 6, on fire
CA Furutaka, Shell hits 4, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
CA Kako, Shell hits 6, heavy fires
CL Kashima, Shell hits 24, and is sunk
DD Uzuki, Shell hits 3, heavy fires, heavy damage

Allied Ships
CA Pensacola, Shell hits 5
CA Minneapolis, Shell hits 5, on fire
DD Patterson
DD Jarvis
DD Cummings
DD Case
DD Conyngham, Shell hits 1
DD Shaw

And so, two cruisers are now proudly limping towards Rabaul, out of harm’s way, I am sure. But four cruisers and two destroyers are lost, and I would not care to be in admiral Goto’s boots, next week (I heard the Emperor ask about fluvial patrols in Manchuria at breakfast this morning).

Still, we took Duff and Reef islands today, and Vaitupu should be invaded tomorrow. I think my opponent is pretty methodical, so I try to push the line as far south as I can in the south pacific, every island invaded is a couple more weeks for Japan.

Growing the Empire

So far, invasions went fine. According to Tracker, we now hold 554 base (for 600 to the Allies). In my game against Spence (scenario 2), the number was 473 at the same point in the game. In this game, I have been more systematic, using small units to clear all enemy bases in rear areas, and then emptying those areas to move the front further.

With the exception of Java, northern Sumatra and southern Borneo, the SRA is pretty much done. I have a division worth of troops in northern Australia, holding the coast from Exmouth to Windham, and the small bases on the gulf of Carpentaria. And the fall of Singapore is freeing about six divisions for operations elsewhere.

With six weeks left of amphibious bonus, I need to spend March establishing beachheads which I can reinforce later. I want to land in Northern Sumatra, the Andamans, and between Akyab or Chittagong. I am split as to the opportunity of going for central India or Ceylon. As for Australia, I was thinking of going for Perth at the end of March, but I am tempted to land on the northeastern coast, and break things north of Brisbane. The goal is always the same: force the allies to spend time recovering all those forward areas, giving me time to develop the interior.

I am currently toying with the idea of establishing beachheads everywhere, while the bonus lasts, and deciding to reinforce them later.

Quartermaster in the Pacific

This is scenario one, PDU off, and I have been embarking on a policy of serious aircraft R&D, and whereas I am not accelerating naval builds, I have not cut most of the programs (like I did in my previous game). I am expecting low supply levels early in the war. At present, overall supply levels are stable around 2.9 million tons, as are fuel reserves, around 5.4 million (bunker fuel included). I hope to be able to increase my supply reserves by summer, when the fighting gets less intense and I hold a few more supply producing bases in China and Java. I do not know if this can be achieved in scenario one.

Convoys between Hokkaido and Honshu have been set up, the Sakhalin convoys need a little more port development to be operational, and whereas Japan is still using more resources than it gets every day, we are getting closer. Overall, resource reserves are up, which will allow to save on fuel by not bringing everything back to the home islands.

Bif1961 -> RE: I've got a little list, fcharton (J) vs zuluhour (A) (5/9/2018 12:41:33 AM)

CL Kashima, Shell hits 24, and is sunk. Including this 18 knot light cruiser put you at a maneuver disadvantage and with only one DD in your TF probably account for your performance against his cruiser TF.

fcharton -> RE: I've got a little list, fcharton (J) vs zuluhour (A) (5/10/2018 7:36:31 AM)

February 24th 1942

End of an era

Singapore is now clear of mines, transports will arrive there and in Palembang to fetch the large combat units I need for the March invasion. Java and Port Blair are the next order of business, but I am also considering Assam and perhaps bits of Australia.

I have five divisions in Singapore and another division worth of small units (two infantry regiments and a mixed brigade). Four divisions are at full strength and can be used right now, the others will need a few weeks. I also have a division and a brigade in Sumatra, and yet another division on Mindanao, all at full strength. And of course, artillery and various support units are in Singapore as well.

I have the impression that two divisions, with tanks, guns and engineers, should be sufficient for Java, which leaves four or five for use elsewhere. Right now, I am split between a strong push in Australia, either Perth or the east coast (I am not landing in Darwin, it is full of troops, I want a siege there) or Assam and Ceylon. All these are intended as raids, I do not want to defend a large perimeter, as I will have neither the units nor the supplies for it. But the further the reconquest begins, the slower it gets.

At present, my preference goes to Australia. I think that if I can get Port Blair and the coastal bases between Calcutta and Rangoon, I will have enough buffer space to slow the allied move into Burma. And this can probably be done with just a few units, maybe two divisions and a few small units. Which would leave three divisions or more for Australia.

Prepping Java

A Naval Guard unit landed in Denpasar today, or would have if I had not forgotten to toggle its “do not unload” switch. KB provided air cover, and managed to shoot down fifteen Dutch bombers, but one of my cargoes was hit, and is now burning. Denpasar is empty, and will fall soon. Then I will try to conquer a small beachhead in the south of Java, before the larger invasions arrive in the North.

KB is now moving closer to attack Surabaya. It should stay around while the Java landings proceed, and then move towards Singapore for the next phase.

Expanding the empire

In the Pacific, Vaitupu fell, this is probably the furthest I will go, together with Baker, which I took a few weeks ago. In the Celebes and Flores, the last enemy bases are being captured. In Burma we took Mandalay, and are marching towards Lashio and northern Burma.

In China, Nanning fell. I had invaded it earlier this month, and the Chinese had evacuated after a long series of inconclusive battles. A general retreat seems in order. Pingsiang seems to have been evacuated, and there seem to be movement in the Hunan basin, around Changsha. I am poised to take the abandoned bases. I would of course prefer to defeat the KMT in the field, but retreating cost them supplies, and central China has a lot of good production bases.

We now hold 561 bases, and have been capturing on average four a day since January. Most of them are empty, though, and the process of sending small units to hold and develop the ground should begin soon.

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI