Attack question re: combined (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV

rmp090946 -> Attack question re: combined (12/3/2017 1:18:10 PM)

I'm new to TOAW4...but so far, the game is really enjoyable.

Question for Attack-Defense-Movement ratings: There is one (1) Infantry unit(6-6-13); and,
one (1) Tank Corp unit (10-5-12) in the same hex. When I double click (to combine the units),
I get a total A=17; D=5; M=12.

I've not been able to find (yet) how the A=17 is calculated (compared to individual unit Attack
ratings of 6+10=16.

I'm pretty sure that the D & M lower combined ratings (D=5; M=12) is the result of using the
lower rating as default, am I correct?

I'd appreciate some info (or, reference to manual's documentation) that will clarify the Combined Attack
value of 17 versus 16.

Will appreciate any input.

Thanks,

Bob

Oberst_Klink -> RE: Attack question re: combined (12/3/2017 1:43:05 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rmp090946

I'm new to TOAW4...but so far, the game is really enjoyable.

Question for Attack-Defense-Movement ratings: There is one (1) Infantry unit(6-6-13); and,
one (1) Tank Corp unit (10-5-12) in the same hex. When I double click (to combine the units),
I get a total A=17; D=5; M=12.

I've not been able to find (yet) how the A=17 is calculated (compared to individual unit Attack
ratings of 6+10=16.

I'm pretty sure that the D & M lower combined ratings (D=5; M=12) is the result of using the
lower rating as default, am I correct?

I'd appreciate some info (or, reference to manual's documentation) that will clarify the Combined Attack
value of 17 versus 16.

Will appreciate any input.

Thanks,

Bob

Bob

can you dump a screenshot here by any chance? It could be that you might have mixed up the various attack values (remember AP and AT?!); but we can only judge this by some Mark 1 eyeball ;)

Klink, Oberst

rmp090946 -> RE: Attack question re: combined (12/3/2017 1:56:10 PM)

Klink, Oberst:

I have a screenshot but it's a .png file and this forum is telling me this file is not allowed.

Any other directions?

Thanks,

Bob

rmp090946 -> RE: Attack question re: combined (12/3/2017 2:02:42 PM)

I converted to a jpg file:

[image]local://upfiles/46999/EC3B8B285F974B3EAA04F1639C181162.jpg[/image]

JapLance -> RE: Attack question re: combined (12/3/2017 2:03:53 PM)

Maybe some rounding up or down involved somewhere?

Lobster -> RE: Attack question re: combined (12/3/2017 2:03:55 PM)

Opps.

Oberst_Klink -> RE: Attack question re: combined (12/3/2017 2:16:23 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JapLance

Maybe some rounding up or down involved somewhere?

Yes and No, but...

Unit Strengths and Capabilities

A unit’s Strengths and Capabilities are based on the equipment assigned, Proficiency, Readiness, and Supply Level. Various assigned equipment strengths are scaled and combined into generic Attack and Defense numbers for quick reference purposes. The quick reference numbers are a reasonably good indicator of a unit’s expected performance, but they only tell part of the story.

These Strengths are simply the sums of the total Strengths in each category for all equipment assigned to the unit, multiplied by the unit’s Morale, scaled to fit the game displays. The unit’s actual internal Strengths, used for all game calculations but not displayed, are much larger numbers. At the low end (displayed unit strengths less than three), there can be quite a bit of real difference between units that show similar displayed Strengths. Some units have anti-aircraft fire ranges of up to 50 kilometers against Air units participating in Combat Support or Bombardment Missions in the area.

Klink, Oberst

rmp090946 -> RE: Attack question re: combined (12/3/2017 2:27:41 PM)

Ok, thanks for this information.....I'd read it in the manual; but, didn't relate to how it had an effect upon
my question.

So, my assumption related to the Defense & Movement being a default of the lower was wrong, correct?
These are also an internal calculation based upon the unit situation(s) at that time?

I do appreciate your help.

Bob

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI