The difference between the different types of supply symbols (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV

Fred98 -> The difference between the different types of supply symbols (12/4/2017 9:01:54 AM)

See attached screen shot. Note that I have highlighted:

A pair of sixes
A pair of sevens
A pair of eights
A pair of twelves.

Why is it that some numbers are one colour and some are two colours?

[image]http://users.tpg.com.au/sueyoo/Supplydot.jpg[/image]

Oberst_Klink -> RE: The difference between the different types of supply symbols (12/4/2017 10:14:15 AM)

Fred

found an old thread but it should answer your question(s):

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1740537&mpage=1&key=�

Klink, Oberst

shapelord -> RE: The difference between the different types of supply symbols (12/4/2017 10:16:29 AM)

From the manual:

"The colors of the markers tell which side can trace to the location: Red markers mean only the Red Side can trace; Blue markers mean only the Blue Side can trace; And Gold markers mean both sides can trace. The number in the marker is the location supply for that hex for the current side."

Oberst_Klink -> RE: The difference between the different types of supply symbols (12/4/2017 10:38:37 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: shapelord

From the manual:

"The colors of the markers tell which side can trace to the location: Red markers mean only the Red Side can trace; Blue markers mean only the Blue Side can trace; And Gold markers mean both sides can trace. The number in the marker is the location supply for that hex for the current side."

Plain and simple; I must have missed this one out in the manual. Anyway, Fred - there you go. ;)

Klink, Oberst

Fred98 -> RE: The difference between the different types of supply symbols (12/4/2017 6:43:36 PM)

quote:

From the manual:

I too read that. The markers are not gold.

Note if you change sides the other side cannot get supply from any of those hexes.

Oberst_Klink -> RE: The difference between the different types of supply symbols (12/4/2017 6:48:20 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fred98

quote:

From the manual:

I too read that. The markers are not gold.

Note if you change sides the other side cannot get supply from any of those hexes.

Depends on the graphics mod, Fred. In my case it's yellow'ish...

Klink, Oberst

Meyer1 -> RE: The difference between the different types of supply symbols (12/4/2017 8:08:32 PM)

They were gold in TOAW III [:)]

Lobster -> RE: The difference between the different types of supply symbols (12/4/2017 10:14:55 PM)

If it isn't red. And if it isn't blue. It must be...

Fred98 -> RE: The difference between the different types of supply symbols (12/5/2017 4:59:10 AM)

I suspect what is means is: "If I don't move any units and the enemy advances and moves to just the right places the enemy could theoretically trace supply through those hexes".

My the player's perspective I think we can ignore that gold (beige) colour and just look at the numbers.

Spectre195 -> RE: The difference between the different types of supply symbols (12/5/2017 2:27:35 PM)

Can anyone explain to me the purpose of the half gold half blue markers? Isn't that redundantly confusing? If the hex can be used by both sides why make it half and half instead of just white-ish yellow (ITS NOT GOLD!!!)? If it is a "blue" hex why make half of it the white-ish gold and just make the whole hex blue? New to the series and the explanation in the book is poor in my opinion.

Lobster -> RE: The difference between the different types of supply symbols (12/5/2017 2:38:33 PM)

It isn't confusing if you have been playing war games for very long. A circle with half of it filled has been accepted as a supply unit or supply source designation for as long as I can remember. It's not confusing at all.

Spectre195 -> RE: The difference between the different types of supply symbols (12/5/2017 3:17:44 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lobster

It isn't confusing if you have been playing war games for very long. A circle with half of it filled has been accepted as a supply unit or supply source designation for as long as I can remember. It's not confusing at all.

You logic is flawed though. Your argument is it isn't confusing if you have been playing war games for a long time. Which is an assumption that isn't true of everyone, such as myself. Just because you get used to something that's been that way for a long time doesn't mean it isn't confusing. Because you can get used to just about anything.

For instance the manual calls the half-blue half-gold hexes 'blue hexes'...which to someone who hasn't played a game like this makes no sense, because the hex is unarguably not blue, its half and half. There are plenty of ways that could have been written better. For instance...hexes that are shaded half blue. It is much clearer to someone with no prior experience than 'blue hexes' when those do not exist.

Nothing you stated explain why there is any reason for the other half of the hex remains yellow other than because that's how it has always been. Which is a piss poor reason actually. It's a trap any genre fan falls into. They are so used to something that they don't question if there is any reason for it to be that way. Which is actually a pit fall of design, typically the only people testing and designing are burdened with this curse of knowledge. It is why it is a good design practice to get people who have no experience with the game or anything like it to test out rules, and other design choices to see how a fresh set of eyes handle it.

Lobster -> RE: The difference between the different types of supply symbols (12/5/2017 7:42:51 PM)

You understand that one color applies to one side. Another color applies to another side. And yet another applies to both sides. You also understand this is a standard that has been used for a long time and is recognized as such. Seems to me my work is done here. Anything else is just your subjective opinion and yours alone to live with. Good luck with modifying the files so they meet your specifications.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI