Screen blacks out during combat resolution (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Tech Support

MrDave -> Screen blacks out during combat resolution (12/15/2017 11:57:21 PM)

1. My screen blacks out sometimes when processing combat resolutions.
2. I am also seeing "not responding" at times. There is no lock up.
3. The screen does come back and the game continues.

Is there a way to resolve this?
Thanks.

JPJ -> RE: Screen blacks out during combat resolution (12/16/2017 12:46:56 AM)

Can you confirm which version of TOAW you are playing?
And for just in case, in which scenario or is it always, etc.?

Some screen and other issues have been resolved or improved in the public betas, currently [4.0.1.22], so that may be worth trying if you haven't it already.
See here for more information:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4385645

Having said that, I'm on [4.0.1.22] and my screen also sometimes blacks out a moment, but for me it's more noticeable for example during airborne movements (when boarded in the aircraft and passing near enemy units) rather than combat resolution as is your case.

r6kunz -> RE: Screen blacks out during combat resolution (12/16/2017 2:54:58 AM)

I was having this problem with earlier beta versions, but as of recent, I have not been experiencing this as a problem.

MrDave -> RE: Screen blacks out during combat resolution (12/16/2017 12:11:44 PM)

I'm playing TOAW4. The Korean tutorial is the I'm playing that this issue pops up. Kasserine had no issues.
Thanks.

MrDave -> RE: Screen blacks out during combat resolution (12/16/2017 1:05:35 PM)

Thanks for the suggestion.
I have tried to unzip the update but WinZip tells me there is missing data. Any suggestions?

Major Shane -> RE: Screen blacks out during combat resolution (12/16/2017 2:19:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JPJ

Can you confirm which version of TOAW you are playing?
And for just in case, in which scenario or is it always, etc.?

Some screen and other issues have been resolved or improved in the public betas, currently [4.0.1.22], so that may be worth trying if you haven't it already.
See here for more information:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4385645

Having said that, I'm on [4.0.1.22] and my screen also sometimes blacks out a moment, but for me it's more noticeable for example during airborne movements (when boarded in the aircraft and passing near enemy units) rather than combat resolution as is your case.

I am also playing the beta version. I also experience the black out, non-response issue during Airborne Movements and during PO's movement and combat. It doesn't crash the game, but it does annoy me. I've had it happen on the WWI scenario and my current Vietnam, Boonie Rat game.

ralphtricky -> RE: Screen blacks out during combat resolution (12/17/2017 10:31:41 PM)

I've added some code that may help to prevent blocking. The problem is that if I add too many checks, it can slow everything down too much.

Ralph

joey -> RE: Screen blacks out during combat resolution (12/19/2017 1:02:17 AM)

Ralph, if it helps, in TOAW's original version, my computer would black out doing movement stages of the game and most functions in the editor.
The two latest patches have significantly improved the troop movement issues. It still blacks out, but for much less time.
The blacking out in the editor is about the same as before the patches.
Keep in mind I have a rather old laptop, so if I am seeing improvement, there must be some improvement. In any event, the black outs are livable. They only last a few seconds in the movement of troops in large formations.
I hope this helps.

rtropp -> RE: Screen blacks out during combat resolution (12/19/2017 5:06:54 PM)

q

rtropp -> RE: Screen blacks out during combat resolution (12/19/2017 5:09:35 PM)

I am playing When the Leaves Turn - WW1. I experience not only blackouts with train moves but also crashes in both game moves and sometimes when moving around the game. I have to back up after almost every set of moves during the same turn. I am using the latest DirectX from Microsoft. I have tried the "check for update" button on the splash screen but it tells me I have the latest version. But, on these posts I see mention of resolution of problems in public betas... not sure how they work or if they would work for my. I am on version 4 00 11. thanks

I changed this, forgot to select "notify me" on the original post.

Oberst_Klink -> RE: Screen blacks out during combat resolution (12/19/2017 5:52:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtropp

I am playing When the Leaves Turn - WW1. I experience not only blackouts with train moves but also crashes in both game moves and sometimes when moving around the game. I have to back up after almost every set of moves during the same turn. I am using the latest DirectX from Microsoft. I have tried the "check for update" button on the splash screen but it tells me I have the latest version. But, on these posts I see mention of resolution of problems in public betas... not sure how they work or if they would work for my. I am on version 4 00 11. thanks

I changed this, forgot to select "notify me" on the original post.

You got to update to the latest beta, 4.0.1.22, Kamerad!

Here: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4385645

Klink, Oberst

rtropp -> RE: Screen blacks out during combat resolution (12/19/2017 10:53:26 PM)

Thanks for the tip.
I installed and it helped a little, but still getting some crashes. This time it occurred right as I had finished setting up orders for the next round and hit "Turn" button. Having to redo these is getting to be a pain. I wish I could figure this out but I am not very skilled in managing computers.

additional note about 45 minutes later: It seems to crash also when I click various buttons on the control panels.

Toby42 -> RE: Screen blacks out during combat resolution (12/19/2017 10:55:21 PM)

I've been getting the blackout issue also. Generally during an airborne movement?

rtropp -> RE: Screen blacks out during combat resolution (12/20/2017 3:04:22 PM)

I don't mind the blackouts so much, moves are still made. I mind the crashes. They require a lot of rework and I dont always remember the moves I made.

Acme1970 -> RE: Screen blacks out during combat resolution (12/24/2017 4:43:14 AM)

I'm doing Bulge44 and i've noticed that the "Not Responding" message comes up alot when i do large group moves, when i move 3 or 4 units in a group move the game will lock up but if i press the left mouse button the game will come back and the units will have moved to where i wanted them to go, if i move a large number of units (say 5 or more) the game will lock up and if press the left mouse button the screen will go white and then completely black then after a few seconds the map will pop back on, this did not happen when i did Cobra44, maybe it only happens on bigger maps?. But it does get a little annoying after a while.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI