Looking for more 3D Modelers for Distant Worlds 2 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series

Erik Rutins -> Looking for more 3D Modelers for Distant Worlds 2 (12/19/2017 3:26:22 PM)

Are you interested in working with us on Distant Worlds 2? Are you a talented 3D modeler and have available time in your schedule to take on a significant amount of work?

We're recruiting more 3D modelers and artists to join us as we move forward on Distant Worlds 2 and as part of that process, we thought we would also reach out to the community. If you are interested and believe you may be qualified, please e-mail me at erikr@matrixgames.com.

We'll be accepting applications through January 8th. After that, we'll be reviewing applications and responding to those that we feel are a good fit.

Regards,

- Erik

SirHoraceHarkness -> RE: Looking for more 3D Modelers for Distant Worlds 2 (12/21/2017 10:15:43 AM)

So 2d pixel graphics replaced with 3d models. Guess the minimum reqs just went up. Hope this still allows for ginourmous galaxies and fights. [8D]

Erik Rutins -> RE: Looking for more 3D Modelers for Distant Worlds 2 (12/21/2017 12:57:49 PM)

Even bigger, we hope. [8D]

BIGtrouble77 -> RE: Looking for more 3D Modelers for Distant Worlds 2 (12/21/2017 8:47:13 PM)

Can you clarify if the artist/modeller would be building assets for a game engine (with poly count & lod optimizations) or just generating pre-rendered sprites?

Erik Rutins -> RE: Looking for more 3D Modelers for Distant Worlds 2 (12/21/2017 9:40:04 PM)

The former.

GHerr -> RE: Looking for more 3D Modelers for Distant Worlds 2 (12/21/2017 11:58:57 PM)

If you can do better graphics and larger galaxy then i guess it is also use multiple cores.[&o]

Cauldyth -> RE: Looking for more 3D Modelers for Distant Worlds 2 (12/22/2017 3:39:28 AM)

I guess this marks the first confirmed feature of DW2. [:D]

RogerBacon -> RE: Looking for more 3D Modelers for Distant Worlds 2 (12/22/2017 4:03:17 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: SirHoraceHarkness

So 2d pixel graphics replaced with 3d models. Guess the minimum reqs just went up. Hope this still allows for ginourmous galaxies and fights. [8D]

Keep in mind the resource load for 2d vs 3d only affects the ships shown on the screen. The other 1000+ ships doing their thing off screen will have the same performance either way so I don't see this as changing much of the minimum requirements like some people seem to fear.
Assuming they switched to a 64-bit engine, which is almost a certainty, the ygame should scale much better. I'm hoping they switched from XNA to MonoGame.

SirHoraceHarkness -> RE: Looking for more 3D Modelers for Distant Worlds 2 (1/17/2018 9:15:50 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: RogerBacon

quote:

Keep in mind the resource load for 2d vs 3d only affects the ships shown on the screen. The other 1000+ ships doing their thing off screen will have the same performance either way so I don't see this as changing much of the minimum requirements like some people seem to fear.
Assuming they switched to a 64-bit engine, which is almost a certainty, the ygame should scale much better. I'm hoping they switched from XNA to MonoGame.

Oh certainly. But many pc with weak gpu that can still do pixel graphics are going to crap out on any type of modern 3d scene. I'd expect the minimum on gpu to go up at the least to something in the 1gb vram range and at least dx9. The good thing is that there are plenty of cheap upgrade paths to do this. As to the 3d engine they would be best served by building up from scratch so they make sure it conforms to their ideas and needs. Off the shelf engines are good for some cost cutting and time savings but they tend to be limited in what they can do and require significant shoehorning to get the game to fit. Ask Wargaming if they would have chosen the bigworld engine to use to get their game off the ground instead of building it their selves if they knew then what they know now.

MatBailie -> RE: Looking for more 3D Modelers for Distant Worlds 2 (1/17/2018 10:03:15 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: RogerBacon

quote:

Oh certainly. But many pc with weak gpu that can still do pixel graphics are going to crap out on any type of modern 3d scene. I'd expect the minimum on gpu to go up at the least to something in the 1gb vram range and at least dx9. The good thing is that there are plenty of cheap upgrade paths to do this. As to the 3d engine they would be best served by building up from scratch so they make sure it conforms to their ideas and needs. Off the shelf engines are good for some cost cutting and time savings but they tend to be limited in what they can do and require significant shoehorning to get the game to fit. Ask Wargaming if they would have chosen the bigworld engine to use to get their game off the ground instead of building it their selves if they knew then what they know now.

I do think you're somewhat overstating the impact here. Intel integrated graphics has had DX9.0c or better since 2006. My ex wife had a cheap and nasty laptop from 2010 that ran Civ5 and Tropico4. The market segment interested in DW2 but unable to make use of DX9 on low settings is a Niche. I'm pretty confident Matrix did due diligence in their business planning, and I'd bet it showed the savings to exceed the losses.

Erik Rutins -> RE: Looking for more 3D Modelers for Distant Worlds 2 (3/12/2018 2:04:58 PM)

Hi everyone,

Thank you for the applications over the holidays. We have two artists working on the game now, but we have room for one or two more. If you are still interested, but missed the first deadline, we are opening another round for applications. Please reply before the end of March, 2018.

Regards,

- Erik

Colwolf77 -> RE: Looking for more 3D Modelers for Distant Worlds 2 (3/13/2018 11:24:24 PM)

Hype drive engaged!

balto -> RE: Looking for more 3D Modelers for Distant Worlds 2 (3/27/2018 12:00:18 PM)

Whoa.., WHAT!!!!!!!!! How did I miss this "sign of life" email from Erik!!!! Holy crap, shouldn't this be in BOLD LETTERS underneath the MAIN FORUM section (or whatever it is called)!!! Wow, go baby!

borealislami -> RE: Looking for more 3D Modelers for Distant Worlds 2 (4/6/2018 12:42:27 PM)

First i love your game, MY thought don t make a 3D game :), i always dream of a distant world mix with stardrive animation and graphics, stardrive has beautiful battle i prefer those to stellaris way more epic i think.
just by keeping your game mechanic and put stardrive graphic style i immediatly buy your game whatever the price.

I hope you the best for your game :)

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI