QEI (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

geofflambert -> QEI (12/20/2017 9:12:16 AM)

I'm wanting to make clear, not for the record, because nobody cares what gorns think, but Britain's new CV is named for Queen Elizabeth the First, not the current one. There seems to be a lot of confusion about that. For myself, I don't know why the moniker "the Great" is not applied to her. We have Catherine the Great. Why not Elizabeth? Anyways, I just noticed she's commanded by a Commodore. I like that. I know, how do you abbreviate Commodore to distinguish it from Commander? I just hate that Rear Admiral Lower Half crap. Anyone else?

geofflambert -> RE: QEI (12/20/2017 9:24:14 AM)

Just saying, achieving the rank of Captain in any respectable navy is a big effing deal. A step above that should have a respectable name. What is this REAR admiral LOWER HALF crap? Well, I suppose crap comes from the rear, or lower half of an admiral, I'm not sure, never having met one.

warspite1 -> RE: QEI (12/20/2017 9:41:09 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

I'm wanting to make clear, not for the record, because nobody cares what gorns think, but Britain's new CV is named for Queen Elizabeth the First, not the current one. There seems to be a lot of confusion about that. For myself, I don't know why the moniker "the Great" is not applied to her. We have Catherine the Great. Why not Elizabeth?

Maybe this is just another example of typical British understatement at play. We know she was a great queen, but there's no need for one to brag like some other, more boorish types, are want to do, what?

If one goes back in time one finds William the Conqueror (although he was a ghastly Norman) and later there's Edward I - Hammer of the Scots, which is rather vulgar (the less said about that the better), but generally we are more likely to favour less ostentatious nicknames, names that, so to speak do what they state on the tin e.g Elizabeth I - the Virgin Queen (yeah right) or Queen Victoria - the Grandmother of Europe (and didn't she have some unruly grandchildren!).

So anyway, here's to Great British Queens down the ages - all of them incredibly good looking as one expects of all those born in this sceptred isle.

[image]local://upfiles/28156/38C6A987F1C949A5AFB4D2707E1B50F8.jpg[/image]

geofflambert -> RE: QEI (12/20/2017 9:59:01 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

I'm wanting to make clear, not for the record, because nobody cares what gorns think, but Britain's new CV is named for Queen Elizabeth the First, not the current one. There seems to be a lot of confusion about that. For myself, I don't know why the moniker "the Great" is not applied to her. We have Catherine the Great. Why not Elizabeth?

Maybe this is just another example of typical British understatement at play. We know she was a great queen, but there's no need for one to brag like some other, more boorish types, are want to do, what?

If one goes back in time one finds William the Conqueror (although he was a ghastly Norman) and later there's Edward I - Hammer of the Scots, which is rather naughty (the less said about that the better), but generally we are more likely to favour less ostentatious nicknames, names that, so to speak do what they state on the tin e.g Elizabeth I - the Virgin Queen (yeah right) or Queen Victoria - the Grandmother of Europe (and didn't she have some unruly grandchildren!).

So anyway, here's to Great British Queens down the ages - all of them incredibly good looking as one expects of all those born in this sceptred isle.

That's "are wont to do." It's so sad that we Americans have to teach English to the English. So sad.

warspite1 -> RE: QEI (12/20/2017 10:12:57 AM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

If one goes back in time one finds William the Conqueror (although he was a ghastly Norman) and later there's Edward I - Hammer of the Scots, which is rather naughty (the less said about that the better), but generally we are more likely to favour less ostentatious nicknames, names that, so to speak do what they state on the tin e.g Elizabeth I - the Virgin Queen (yeah right) or Queen Victoria - the Grandmother of Europe (and didn't she have some unruly grandchildren!).

That's "are wont to do." It's so sad that we Americans have to teach English to the English. So sad.

warspite1

Well quite, because of course that type of language is used all the time in Englandsville nowadays, so I really should have known..... But well done for looking the correct spelling up on the interwebs thingy.

geofflambert -> RE: QEI (12/20/2017 10:18:32 AM)

I've read Shakespeare, no need to look that up on the internet thingy. In any case, your reputation, sir, is in tatters. This coming from the greatest gorn ever making Gorn great again.

warspite1 -> RE: QEI (12/20/2017 10:25:00 AM)

quote:

I've read Shakespeare, no need to look that up on the internet thingy. In any case, your reputation, sir, is in tatters. This coming from the greatest gorn ever making Gorn great again.
warspite1

Sure you have [:D]

Anyway I've no time to waste conversing with a vulgar Gorn, I'm being annihilated in the Western Desert, hanging on for dear life in France (as the French), struggling to beat France (as the Germans) and am being trashed as the Soviets in the Soviet Onion. I've got more battles to lose - so toodle pip.

warspite1 the flatulent (and rubbish wargamer) [:)].

wolfclan -> RE: QEI (12/20/2017 11:44:09 AM)

According to their website, Commodore Kyd will wear the rank of Captain while performing his duties as Commanding Officer of QUEEN ELIZABETH.
The abbreviation for Commodore is CDRE, for Commander is CDR

Ian R -> RE: QEI (12/20/2017 2:39:51 PM)

It leaks.

quote:

Britain's new £3.1bn aircraft carrier, HMS Queen Elizabeth, is leaking and needs repairs....letting in 200 litres of water each hour and the fix would cost millions of pounds (allegedly).

BBfanboy -> RE: QEI (12/20/2017 2:42:03 PM)

quote:

Just saying, achieving the rank of Captain in any respectable navy is a big effing deal. A step above that should have a respectable name. What is this REAR admiral LOWER HALF crap? Well, I suppose crap comes from the rear, or lower half of an admiral, I'm not sure, never having met one.

Well, RA Lower Half does evoke Commodore - one who tends to commodes ...[:'(]

BBfanboy -> RE: QEI (12/20/2017 2:46:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian R

It leaks.

quote:

Britain's new £3.1bn aircraft carrier, HMS Queen Elizabeth, is leaking and needs repairs....letting in 200 litres of water each hour and the fix would cost millions of pounds (allegedly).

Its OK. The RN can afford to buy a case of Depends every day to stop the Queen's leaks - but that's about all. Repairs will have to wait on the insurance paying off first, or a recall by the manufacturer.

witpqs -> RE: QEI (12/20/2017 2:48:54 PM)

quote:

But well done for looking the correct spelling up on the interwebs thingy.

It's the "innertubes". Sheesh.

BBfanboy -> RE: QEI (12/20/2017 2:49:48 PM)

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Sure you have [:D]

Anyway I've no time to waste conversing with a vulgar Gorn, I'm being annihilated in the Western Desert, hanging on for dear life in France (as the French), struggling to beat France (as the Germans) and am being trashed as the Soviets in the Soviet Onion. I've got more battles to lose - so toodle pip.

So you're having a dry spell in your first game, being sautéed in your second, having your Kraut pickled in your third and losing layers of your Onion!?
Seems like you are not drinking enough to be a good chef! [:)]

warspite1 -> RE: QEI (12/20/2017 2:51:17 PM)

quote:

It leaks.

warspite1

Sorry are we talking about the aircraft carrier or the Virgin Queen?

BBfanboy -> RE: QEI (12/20/2017 3:00:50 PM)

quote:

quote:

It leaks.

warspite1

Sorry are we talking about the aircraft carrier or the Virgin Queen?

Yes! [;)]

Lecivius -> RE: QEI (12/20/2017 3:28:39 PM)

'Scuse my ignorance, but wasn't 'the lower half" to do with the admirals list? There were only so many slots available, the list denoted seniority.

"Sorry are we talking about the aircraft carrier or the Virgin Queen? "

Both, I believe I dear say [X(]

witpqs -> RE: QEI (12/20/2017 3:33:35 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

'Scuse my ignorance, but wasn't 'the lower half" to do with the admirals list? There were only so many slots available, the list denoted seniority.

Whether it meant that at one time I don't know, but in the current discussion no, it means a 1-star admiral. 2-star admiral is 'upper half' (Rear Admiral, Upper-Half), 3-star is vice admiral, 4-star is admiral, 5-star is fleet admiral, and 6-star is Mandrake.

AW1Steve -> RE: QEI (12/20/2017 8:49:32 PM)

Until 1862 the highest rank in the USN was Commodore. After that period , a Commodore became a rank used only on war time. The advancement went straight from Captain to two star Rear Admiral. As I said Commodore was used only in war time and was generally given to a recalled Captain placed in charge of a convoy. Is was used informally as courtesy title to a Captain commanding certain units. Commander of a PATWING was referred to as a "Commodore" , even though he was a Captain. But in the 1980's there began a squabbling between the services. Every service except the Navy and USCG had a Brigadier general (one star). The other services were unwilling to allow the Navy to have more two stars to make up for one stars , and as a result of this kerfuffle a committee came up with the horse (designed by committee resembling a camel) that we now call "Rear Admiral lower half". Frankly I would not be a "rear half" of anything , no matter how much money they paid. Why they did not borrow from Lt. SR/JR grade and call him "Rear Admiral , junior grade " is beyond me. Frankly I think all "flags" are more than a little crazy. [:D]

AW1Steve -> RE: QEI (12/20/2017 8:51:52 PM)

Frankly I feel that the Queen Elizabeth class should be called the "Push-me-pull-you" class. It looks like it could go just as fast in either direction. [:D]

AW1Steve -> RE: QEI (12/20/2017 8:56:25 PM)

quote:

I'm wanting to make clear, not for the record, because nobody cares what gorns think, but Britain's new CV is named for Queen Elizabeth the First, not the current one. There seems to be a lot of confusion about that. For myself, I don't know why the moniker "the Great" is not applied to her. We have Catherine the Great. Why not Elizabeth? Anyways, I just noticed she's commanded by a Commodore. I like that. I know, how do you abbreviate Commodore to distinguish it from Commander? I just hate that Rear Admiral Lower Half crap. Anyone else?

The Brit's were never that big on calling anyone "great". (After Alfred). But they had "John soft sword , or Jock "lack land". Ethelred the unready (modern scholars are now saying "The ill advised". They've had "Virgin queens" and "Sailor Kings", which are nice things to say (But nobody ever called the current queen "the Mechanic queen" or the "Chauffeur queen" (which they could from her ATS days). [:D]

Zorch -> RE: QEI (12/20/2017 11:22:40 PM)

Wasn't Henry VIII called 'Henry the Great' in his youth?

geofflambert -> RE: QEI (12/21/2017 12:43:44 AM)

Steve, you're supposed to know airplane stuff. Where'd this other stuff come from? And where's my flippin' turn?

Chris21wen -> RE: QEI (12/21/2017 5:04:14 AM)

quote:

It leaks.

quote:

That's what sea trails are for, to find and fix stuff.

Chris21wen -> RE: QEI (12/21/2017 5:16:44 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wolfclan

According to their website, Commodore Kyd will wear the rank of Captain while performing his duties as Commanding Officer of QUEEN ELIZABETH.

Strange custom really. Anybody in charge of a Royal Navy ship is entitled to be called captain but only those of Captain and above are allowed to were the rank. Even I as a mere Petty Officer was once left in charge of a patrol boat and therefore captain. At the time it had a crew of one and was very much attached to land.

Ian R -> RE: QEI (12/21/2017 7:25:19 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris21wen

quote:

It leaks.

quote:

That's what sea trails are for, to find and fix stuff.

Yeah, Nah Skipper.

After 150 years or so of building screw driven ships, British yards should be able to get the shaft seals right first time, every time.

Given that it was a modular build and bolt job, which contractor installed the propulsion machinery? I'm guessing their retention fund just got frozen.

adarbrauner -> RE: QEI (12/21/2017 7:33:41 AM)

quote:

You mean sayin' you're playing World in Flames Solo?

AW1Steve -> RE: QEI (12/21/2017 7:46:34 AM)

quote:

Steve, you're supposed to know airplane stuff. Where'd this other stuff come from? And where's my flippin' turn?

1) have you looked in your inbox? It was sent shortly after you sent it to me.
2) I know airplane AND ships. I RHODE in airplanes. I HUNTED SHIPS (and submarines). (And taught others to.... it helps to know a little about what you are trying to kill , before you kill it).

AW1Steve -> RE: QEI (12/21/2017 7:48:21 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris21wen

quote:

ORIGINAL: wolfclan

Strange custom really. Anybody in charge of a Royal Navy ship is entitled to be called captain but only those of Captain and above are allowed to were the rank. Even I as a mere Petty Officer was once left in charge of a patrol boat and therefore captain. At the time it had a crew of one and was very much attached to land.

What do you mean MERE petty officer? [:(][:D]

warspite1 -> RE: QEI (12/21/2017 8:58:46 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: adarbrauner

quote:

You mean sayin' you're playing World in Flames Solo?
warspite1

No. I'm playing 4 Matrix World In Flames games - all multiplayer - the AI games are TOAW IV and DC: WtP

I'm playing the Commonwealth forces in TOAW IV - Campaign for North Africa (hence being annihilated in the Western Desert)

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4380161&mpage=1&key=

I'm playing the Germans in one of four World In Flames games (and Case Yellow is not going well)

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4207255

I'm playing the Western Allies in Decisive Campaigns: Warsaw to Paris (or at least I was but, 10 turns from the end it looks like the file is corrupted or something) hence hanging on for dear life [btw, if anyone has seen this before and has any bright ideas about what may be wrong I'd be grateful if they could let me know!]

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4321521

and am being trashed as the Soviet Union in the 2nd of 4 World In Flames games

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4061938

and I forgot to mention, I am also being trashed as the Communist Chinese in a third game

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4333723

and not got off to a great start in the fourth (as the Japanese)

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4333300

If anyone knows a more useless wargamer please let me know [;)]

Sundowners -> RE: QEI (12/21/2017 2:27:22 PM)

Steve,

Commodore was used for the CO of PATWING 11 ? (IIRC) when I was stationed at Moffett Field AIMD back in 85-88, But he was an O-6. Also, Commodore is still used in the SUBFORCE. Interestingly enough during my last re-enlistment in '97 I had requested the the most junior Ensign on-board (I had rate-converted to STS from AT in '88) to be the Re-enlisting Officer. Now, 20 years later, that same Ensign is now an O-6 and the Commodore of Submarine Squadron 16. I actually bumped into him on base the other day. And even more interestingly my last shore duty station was at Submarine Group 10 Training and Readiness which became a re-commissioned Submarine Squadron 16. Truly a small world!

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI