Overlord 44 Scenario (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV

Charles Jehlen -> Overlord 44 Scenario (12/29/2017 11:51:57 AM)

Any advice on how to play this James Burns's designed scenario as the Allies? It starts on June 5 AM, but I think that's a misprint. At first I thought it was intentional to allow pre-invasion bombardment and paradrops on June 5, but the queue of reinforcements stacks up in England.

The problem is the strength of the coastal artillery. The Allied units are decimated during the run to the beaches. I believe I remember playing this scenario in TOAW III and losing an occasional unit. But I don't recall losing entire stacks before they got to attack the beach defense. This happened numerous times the first five times I played.

Letting the computer play as the Allied player gave no clues. The AI sent in the paras in non-historic landing zones and then started moving the fleet units around. Many land units moved to different ports. AI couldn't get the troops ashore either.

At first glance, the scenario appears based on Avalon Hill's board game The Longest Day designed by Randy Reed. I played a TLD campaign game once that took over a year to complete. This looks like a substitute, but I've got to get the troops ashore first...

tverse -> RE: Overlord 44 Scenario (12/29/2017 1:09:07 PM)

When I played this scenario, I used the June 5 turns to bombard coastal defenses with both air and sea units. I also staged my landing units just outside of the coastal guns (make sure you have "place names" on to see where the coastal guns range occur. I did not land my para units until first thing on June 6, figuring it was 12:01 AM. Then June 6 I bombed the coastal defenses again for the first round and proceeded to land troops. Most of the beach landings went well except Omaha beach and one of the British beach landings (I don't remember which one). I also switched as many air units as possible to interdiction prior to the end of day june 6.

sPzAbt653 -> RE: Overlord 44 Scenario (12/29/2017 2:54:49 PM)

Make sure that you have this version:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4381203

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI