What Dos games do you still play today? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

aaatoysandmore -> What Dos games do you still play today? (2/28/2018 12:37:13 AM)

Now that we know your first an original dos game; what one or ones do you still play today?

MrsWargamer -> RE: What Dos games do you still play today? (2/28/2018 1:17:52 AM)

Hard to say which games are truly dos designs sometimes.

Once something runs on Windows, is it still a dos game?

I think the oldest games I will 'try' to play, are Steel Panthers, V4Victory, Construction Set 2 Tanks, Steel Panthers 3 (if the download cooperates), original Civilization and original Heroes of Might and Magic (often just for the nostagia hit). I have a few titles on the site mentioned in another thread that might interest me if they cooperate.

I think I am likely among many when I say, often older titles from a long way back, run better than a lot of supposedly 'better' programs of today.
I've seen the comments, the AI was better, the simulation superior, all while having seemingly dreadful graphics when compared to today's fare.

In a lot of cases, older software is amazingly similar to older board games. Not as complex, complicated and glitzy, and yet, better at providing the fun.

Agathosdaimon -> RE: What Dos games do you still play today? (2/28/2018 2:08:29 AM)

1944 Across the Rhine, Battles of Napoleon, Carriers at War 1/construction kit/II, Action Stations, Task Force 1942, Great Naval Battle Series, Wolfpack, Sub Battle Simulator and Command Aces of the Deep - the dos game era really was best when it came to naval strategy i think

Rosseau -> RE: What Dos games do you still play today? (2/28/2018 2:17:09 AM)

Not to be repetitive, but after a long hiatus, started playing the SSG games starting with Battles in Italy. I couldn't believe the moves the AI was pulling off. Pretty disappointed in the "progress" of the AI in the latest wargames. Not sure if SSG were DOS games though.

Capt. Harlock -> RE: What Dos games do you still play today? (2/28/2018 2:52:42 AM)

quote:

Once something runs on Windows, is it still a dos game?

Depends on the version of Windows. Before Windows 2K, it was largely an overlay on DOS.

Rising-Sun -> RE: What Dos games do you still play today? (2/28/2018 6:52:48 AM)

Great Naval Battles Vol. III Fury in the Pacific.

RFalvo69 -> RE: What Dos games do you still play today? (2/28/2018 8:16:50 AM)

Carriers at War 1 & 2 + Construction Kit, Action Stations!, Panthers in the Shadows, Tigers on the Prowl II, F-14 Fleet Defender Gold, Gunship 2000, Falcon 3 Gold.

Edit: I forgot "Master of Magic"; basically Civilization + Magic: the Gathering. The strategy guide was as thick as a phone directory; I still wonder where (or when) I lost it :(

zakblood -> RE: What Dos games do you still play today? (2/28/2018 9:11:43 AM)

most of mine, through out the year, but mainly Arnhem

Greybriar -> RE: What Dos games do you still play today? (2/28/2018 12:22:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rosseau
....Not sure if SSG were DOS games though.

SSG (Strategic Studies Group) made many DOS games. Check out the list of SSG games on Moby Games (games released before 1996 were either DOS games or for some other system).

I still play Master of Magic, but mostly the GOG version on my Windows 10 computer. The only DOS games I remember playing under DOS recently have been Sid Meier's Railroad Tycoon and Ascendancy.

Red2112 -> RE: What Dos games do you still play today? (2/28/2018 1:21:07 PM)

AEGIS: Guardian of the Fleet, cool game! [;)]
https://classicreload.com/aegis-guardian-of-the-fleet.html

sanch -> RE: What Dos games do you still play today? (2/28/2018 5:08:33 PM)

Sid Maier's Railroad Tycoon (original version - 1989) - challenging game!

Kuokkanen -> RE: What Dos games do you still play today? (2/28/2018 5:52:14 PM)

Heroes of Might and Magic II

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanch

Is it in some way better than Railroad Tycoon Deluxe? Or don't you have the Deluxe game?

TulliusDetritus -> RE: What Dos games do you still play today? (2/28/2018 6:41:33 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

Now that we know your first an original dos game; what one or ones do you still play today?

Lords of the Realm
. And every x years I reinstall and play episodes of the Monkey Island™ and / or Maniac Mansion™ series. Lechuck is indeed my archenemy.

[image]local://upfiles/11562/FFA57E1BD9E54E22B9D13A2D569B67FB.jpg[/image]

sanch -> RE: What Dos games do you still play today? (2/28/2018 8:18:28 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kuokkanen

quote:

Is it in some way better than Railroad Tycoon Deluxe? Or don't you have the Deluxe game?

Deluxe was an embellished version of the original. I have a suspicion (but don't know for certain) that the Deluxe was dumbed down a little bit. It does seem easier to win on Deluxe, but that's just one opinion. I will happily play either.

redcoat -> RE: What Dos games do you still play today? (3/1/2018 12:08:18 AM)

The only DOS game that I have played recently is Age of Rifles.

[image]local://upfiles/17963/0DA1D2415B374E5EBF580ED970CC4772.jpg[/image]

aaatoysandmore -> RE: What Dos games do you still play today? (3/1/2018 2:53:34 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: RFalvo69

Carriers at War 1 & 2 + Construction Kit, Action Stations!, Panthers in the Shadows, Tigers on the Prowl II, F-14 Fleet Defender Gold, Gunship 2000, Falcon 3 Gold.

Edit: I forgot "Master of Magic"; basically Civilization + Magic: the Gathering. The strategy guide was as thick as a phone directory; I still wonder where (or when) I lost it :(

I'm looking at my Masters of Magic guide now. Amazing I still have it after all these years It is thick; man what happened to guides and manuals like that?

Rising-Sun -> RE: What Dos games do you still play today? (3/1/2018 8:14:26 AM)

Oh still love that old Masters of Magic, noticed there a new one on Steam was suppose to be like that, but doesn't feel the same at all. Still like the old fashion much better.

Also like playing that old Daggerfall too.

Greybriar -> RE: What Dos games do you still play today? (3/1/2018 1:20:55 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kuokkanen

quote:

Deluxe was an embellished version of the original. I have a suspicion (but don't know for certain) that the Deluxe was dumbed down a little bit. It does seem easier to win on Deluxe, but that's just one opinion. I will happily play either.

Railroad Tycoon Deluxe is available as a FREE download from 2K Games. It is the download on the right under the heading Railroad Tycoon - Full Game. The name shown is a misnomer as it is NOT the original Sid Meier's Railroad Tycoon. (Edit: I can run RRTDX on my Windows 7 PC; I haven't tried it on my Windows 10 PC.)

aaatoysandmore -> RE: What Dos games do you still play today? (3/2/2018 12:24:57 AM)

Yeah, Sid Meier's railroad tycoon and 1830 railroads and robber barons (dos) are the greatest.

Gilmer -> RE: What Dos games do you still play today? (3/3/2018 4:59:49 PM)

Every now and then War in Russia and Pacwar.

Zecke -> RE: What Dos games do you still play today? (3/3/2018 5:24:20 PM)

i still have the diskketes of Patton strikes back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDdgufHcXJk

and the Kingmaker too (the diskettes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7tCCLR7858

Zecke -> RE: What Dos games do you still play today? (3/3/2018 6:23:12 PM)

But the game that i still playing at ms-dos and also the game that i started playing with Monkey island too are CIV-1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrRGfHArMNA

Thats probably the reason of playing PC_GAMES with tower

Forgot to say that also became a PC_GAMER with this game at 1989

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv20j8ChtRY

The bestˇ..(why) advance to Palmyra screen and Medusa screen.

josant -> RE: What Dos games do you still play today? (3/4/2018 6:29:42 AM)

Currently I only play two DOS games; Wargame Construction Set 2:Tanks, and Age of Rifles

ezzler -> RE: What Dos games do you still play today? (3/4/2018 7:42:47 PM)

Master of Orion 2.
Just finished a game.

One of those good ones. Where a cold war like balance develops. Two sides fairly evenly matched. A leap in tech needed to get the edge. Before the other side does.

I play with the limited tech choice options to boost the AI.
But got the plasma web and won.

Zorch -> RE: What Dos games do you still play today? (3/4/2018 7:46:35 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ezz

Master of Orion 2.
Just finished a game.

One of those good ones. Where a cold war like balance develops. Two sides fairly evenly matched. A leap in tech needed to get the edge. Before the other side does.

+1
I find it very hard to attack planets at the late stages of MoO2.

Aurelian -> RE: What Dos games do you still play today? (3/4/2018 7:55:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

Master of Orion 2.
Just finished a game.

+1

The AI likes to mass at one planet prior to attack. Take that planet. It throws it off balance. Then do it again.

Zorch -> RE: What Dos games do you still play today? (3/4/2018 8:25:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

Master of Orion 2.
Just finished a game.

+1

The AI likes to mass at one planet prior to attack. Take that planet. It throws it off balance. Then do it again.

Easier said than done. [:D]

aaatoysandmore -> RE: What Dos games do you still play today? (3/5/2018 1:43:04 PM)

I like to turn off tech trading in games that allow it as to be fair to the ai which is all too easy to exploit in every game I've played with tech trading. Especially Distant Worlds now that I've found the exploit. Just think of it as living in a galaxy where no race would ever allow tech trading. Works quite well and makes for a better more challenging game vs ai.

Agathosdaimon -> RE: What Dos games do you still play today? (3/9/2018 11:28:28 AM)

not a strategy game but a truly awesome DOS game - Geoff Crammonds Grand Prix 2 -i played alot of GP3 but had played GP2 until this week when i got an old boxed copy of it - running it through Dosbox of course it plays so well and is so good, - i like the AI in the Geoff Crammond games as it is individual for every car and not like you are playing agains some hive mind opponents all just bolted on to the same singular driving line.
I am not one for motor sports generally but Formula One is the exception, perhaps its the global-ish nature of it.

Orm -> RE: What Dos games do you still play today? (3/11/2018 1:27:29 PM)

I've been playing "Imperialism" lately although that, I think, is a early windows game. So the only true DOS game I can think of that I play from time to time is Master of Magic.

Although there are several DOS games that I plan to return to whenever I find time and energy.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI