Good Starter Scenario? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> The War Room

davanden -> Good Starter Scenario? (3/9/2018 1:39:59 AM)

I am experienced wargamer, and I have watched the tutorial videos, but I'm having trouble getting the hang of what I'm supposed to do while playing this game. Can anyone suggest a scenario with a small number of units and no special quirks that would be a good point to start?

--Dav

sPzAbt653 -> RE: Good Starter Scenario? (3/9/2018 3:54:02 AM)

Remagen - http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4382115

But it does have a special quirk - you have to install it [>:]

MikeJ19 -> RE: Good Starter Scenario? (3/9/2018 9:58:25 AM)

Try some of the desert battles from the second World War. Operation Crusader is a good size and as the Commonwealth player you have a lot of options.

Curtis Lemay -> RE: Good Starter Scenario? (3/9/2018 2:40:01 PM)

Nothing is simpler than my Denmark Strait scenario.

After that, my Waterloo scenario is short and small, with no armor or air to deal with.

gwgardner -> RE: Good Starter Scenario? (3/9/2018 10:06:24 PM)

I just tried Denmark Strait, after reading the article in the War Room on it.

In the article, each bombardment was one round. I tried both one round and three round bombardments. I guess the fire and counter-fire take place simultaneously, so the number of rounds should be fair either way?

Curtis Lemay -> RE: Good Starter Scenario? (3/9/2018 10:26:44 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: gwgardner

I just tried Denmark Strait, after reading the article in the War Room on it.

In the article, each bombardment was one round. I tried both one round and three round bombardments. I guess the fire and counter-fire take place simultaneously, so the number of rounds should be fair either way?

Counterbattery takes place after battery - but on a per round basis. So, number of rounds doesn't affect fairness.

davanden -> RE: Good Starter Scenario? (3/10/2018 11:05:10 PM)

Thank you for your suggestions. I downloaded Remagen, and I will look at the desert scenarios.

I will save Denmark Strait and Waterloo for later. I want to get the hang of the basic World War II core of the game before trying naval scenarios or other eras.

That said, if anyone has a Crimean War scenario, I'm always looking for games on that subject!

--Dav

hingram -> RE: Good Starter Scenario? (3/13/2018 7:03:07 PM)

I tried a different strategy. I went for a largish scenario (Invasion of Italy) and just fumbled around trying different things. I had played the earlier Korea and Middle East games by Koger so I was vaguely familiar with the system. I also had to "unlearn" the V4V system which I am also playing.

davanden -> RE: Good Starter Scenario? (3/13/2018 11:39:42 PM)

That's an approach I've used in games before. This time I felt I wanted something simpler to work with.

--Dav

davanden -> RE: Good Starter Scenario? (3/15/2018 12:39:25 AM)

Mike,

With respect to installing Remagen, Perhaps you could explain where the *.bmp and *.eqp file are supposed to go. The instructions in the text file are not as clear as they might be. There is a reference to a "document type file," which is pretty vague (aren't all files documents?). It also mentions "in addition to the scenario and text files," Does that mean anything that isn't *.txt or *.sce?

--Dav

sPzAbt653 -> RE: Good Starter Scenario? (3/15/2018 10:05:04 AM)

These instructions were created to cover all possibilities, so if anything is unclear feel free to suggest different wording. None of us want to have to explain how to install stuff as frequently as we have to. Not that we aren't helpful, its that nobody got time for that [;)]

File Installation

Note that you MUST work within 'Documents/My Games/The Operational Art of War IV'. If you attempt to work within 'Program Files/...', installation will not function properly.

Place the scenario file [the file with the .sce extension] and any document type file [if one is included] in the Scenario Folder of your choice.

If the zipped file contains a folder with the scenario name, go to 'The Operational Art of War IV' directory and place it in the 'Graphics Override' folder.

If the zipped file contains files in addition to the scenario and text files, go to 'The Operational Art of War IV' directory and open the 'Graphics Override' folder. Create a new folder called 'Name of Scenario' [must read EXACTLY as the Scenario Name]. Place the additional files into the folder you just created. [for example, the *.bmp and *.eqp files]

If the zipped file contains a 'Graphics' folder, go to 'The Operational Art of War IV' directory and open the 'Graphics Override' folder. Create a new folder called 'Name of Scenario' [must read EXACTLY as the Scenario Name]. Place the contents of the 'Graphics' folder into the folder you just created.

Please remember, you MUST work within 'Documents/My Games/The Operational Art of War IV', NOT within 'Program Files/...' in order for these additions/changes to function properly.

jsqdcsq -> RE: Good Starter Scenario? (6/20/2018 3:48:32 AM)

Kaiserrich as Germany.

Small and simple but interesting. Maneuvering would be important in this scenario.

Also, I recommend scenarios with Operation Uranus as its theme (sorry for forget its actual name). As Soviet player, that would be a good training ground for massive depth attack and combined arms.

jacktimes2 -> RE: Good Starter Scenario? (6/20/2018 5:52:36 AM)

I found Arracourt 44 helpful in the beginning.

HvonMoltke -> RE: Good Starter Scenario? (2/25/2019 7:13:02 PM)

Kasserine is a great Starter as well. I can't really tell why they take the Korean War as tutorial.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI