SSK Signatures (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series

Talisman -> SSK Signatures (5/15/2018 9:28:40 PM)

Hi, recently I was intrigued to note that I seemed to be detecting enemy SSKs at pretty consistent ranges irrespective of whether they were snorting or running on batteries.

This struck me as improbable given my layman's understanding of diesel-electric submarine operations. I'd love to hear an expert on the subject, but I have always understood a snorting diesel to be SIGNIFICANTLY loader than one running on batteries, particularly in the LF spectrum. Ergo, you should hear him a lot further away.

I have since run a crude test with two identical SSKs running in on a stationary listening platform (fitted with LF flank array). One on batteries and one snorting, almost identical depths (70' and 66') both at 5kts. It wasn't high science but I observed the following:

The snorting boat crossed the listening platforms CZ detection zone, undetected.

I detected the snorting boat at approx. 7.5nm. I detected the boat running on batteries at 6.2nm. Assuming the subtle differences in depth and aspect to sensor didn't significantly skew the sound model, I deduce that this particular SSK (Kilo) is only around 17% loader when snorting.

Does that sound right...? I would have guessed a snorting SSK to be twice or three times loader than one on batteries.

If anyone has some solid knowledge on this subject, please enlighten me. Perhaps we might also ask the Dev's to check that the sound models for snorting vs battery signatures are looking good.

Happy hunting!

[:)]

Eggstor -> RE: SSK Signatures (5/15/2018 11:51:08 PM)

Could you upload your test scenario (save a a zip file so it can be uploaded)?

One thing with build 998.8 - subs at -66 feet don't run their diesels. That particular bug has been fixed with build 998.9 (or you could run the sub at -65 feet).

Talisman -> RE: SSK Signatures (5/16/2018 5:58:51 AM)

Here you go.

Regarding the possible diesel vs. depth bug, I believe I am running latest and the batteries on the 'snorting' Kilo were charging.

:)

Eggstor -> RE: SSK Signatures (5/16/2018 3:43:31 PM)

I added a couple of variations to your test scenario, and put it in the tech support forum. There definitely is an issue here.

taffthomas -> RE: SSK Signatures (5/17/2018 9:34:47 AM)

I was a sonar chief in the RN boats many moons ago We found that SSKs (O boats) were virtually undetectable on batteries by passive means

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI