RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

Jorge_Stanbury -> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 (6/25/2018 7:36:12 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anachro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58
I didn't really know what was happening, but yes, it was a great sporting event. Regretting the USA isn't in this one.

Don't worry, we're approaching the point by which the USA is out anyways. Elimination rounds. Watching US soccer can be painful. I tried watching the MLS once and it was just bad compared to the skill of the premier league. I sometimes wonder how good the US would be if Soccer was far and away our #1 sport like it is elsewhere.

Still, I don't really mind our mediocrity that much if it means we get to watch awesome sports like Real Football (tm), basketball, and hockey.

Well the world cup is coming to USA (and Canada, Mexico); we just need to wait 8 year. It will be a different format though; with 48 teams, shorter group phase (only 3 teams per group) and most likely diluted soccer quality as more teams will mean more minnows getting in

Anachro -> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 (7/1/2018 8:51:31 PM)

A lot of fun, exciting soccer matches today. I just love penalty shootouts. Didn't really care who won (well, okay, I do have a soft spot for Denmark), but a good showing for soccer nonetheless. Not really sure who to root for out of the surviving teams. Part of me wants England to go all the way.

RangerJoe -> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 (7/2/2018 2:23:36 PM)

For the person who commented on the old wealthy families controlling the sports teams, the Green Bay Packers is a corporation with many citizens owning shares.

https://www.packers.com/community/shareholders

Orm -> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 (7/2/2018 5:46:39 PM)

I am not sure what your point is. Is it that many teams in USA is community-owned. Or that few, or one, team is. Or that few teams are owned by "old wealthy families". Or perhaps that owner situation doesn't matter. Could you, please, expand or explain your thinking to a dumba** like me?

[:)]

tomamars -> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 (7/2/2018 7:20:20 PM)

Japan is leading against favorite Belgium 2:0! Banzai!!!

GetAssista -> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 (7/2/2018 7:23:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: tomamars

JFBs here are well acquainted with the situation where Japan seizes initial lead [:D] Would the time run out fast enough though

Chickenboy -> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 (7/2/2018 7:41:03 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: GetAssista

quote:

JFBs here are well acquainted with the situation where Japan seizes initial lead [:D] Would the time run out fast enough though

C'mon autovictory in the third period!

Zorch -> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 (7/2/2018 7:42:37 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

C'mon autovictory in the third period!

And Banzai! turns to Bonsai.

tomamars -> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 (7/2/2018 7:43:32 PM)

quote:

quote:

Belgium might just equalised, but Japan will neva surhenda!!! We'll fight to the last man!!!

Zorch -> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 (7/2/2018 7:50:34 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Belgium might just equalised, but Japan will neva surhenda!!! We'll fight to the last man!!!

Or penalty kick.

tomamars -> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 (7/2/2018 7:57:12 PM)

3:2 Japan loses. Time for harakiri...

DOCUP -> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 (7/2/2018 8:06:10 PM)

I don't know much about soccer but I do like watching the World Cup. My former PBEM opponent(Konin) got me to watch it.

Miller -> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 (7/3/2018 10:05:44 PM)

quote:

3:2 Japan loses. Time for harakiri...

Kamikaze defending.

Meanwhile England march on until they meet a team that can actually play football.

Encircled -> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 (7/4/2018 10:51:03 AM)

Its coming home. [;)]

tomamars -> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 (7/4/2018 11:30:50 AM)

I'm from Croatia and I'm looking forward to semifinal match against England...

GetAssista -> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 (7/4/2018 1:03:22 PM)

quote:

I'm from Croatia and I'm looking forward to semifinal match against England...

I'm sure Spain was looking forward to the quarterfinals [:D]

wegman58 -> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 (7/4/2018 1:45:39 PM)

quote:

A lot of fun, exciting soccer matches today. I just love penalty shootouts. Didn't really care who won (well, okay, I do have a soft spot for Denmark), but a good showing for soccer nonetheless. Not really sure who to root for out of the surviving teams. Part of me wants England to go all the way.

Why penalty kicks? Why not play until you drop?

Sort of like ending basketball on free throws or baseball on a home run derby.

GetAssista -> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 (7/4/2018 1:52:40 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wegman58

Players' safety + TV. Also, significant distances are involved compared to hockey or basketball, and nobody wants to watch footballers lying around with cramps instead of making nice dynamic plays.

Orm -> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 (7/4/2018 4:51:46 PM)

quote:

quote:

Players' safety + TV. Also, significant distances are involved compared to hockey or basketball, and nobody wants to watch footballers lying around with cramps instead of making nice dynamic plays.

There is also the risk that when to many players are tired the teams stop taking risks and do not really attack. All just stay in defence until they recovered enough. It wouldn't be fun watching that.

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 (7/4/2018 7:32:53 PM)

quote:

quote:

The NFL can end on a tie.

RangerJoe -> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 (7/4/2018 8:46:10 PM)

But these are win and go on games, lose and go home, If there were no more penalty kicks then this would never happen again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-A1-Rz_pks

Jorge_Stanbury -> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 (7/4/2018 9:20:52 PM)

Normal, long championships can end in tie, even the group stage of World cup can end in ties, but knockout stages are win-or-lose

It looks like we will have a Brazil-England final.. that said, I have lost money so far, all my favorite teams are gone, so I might be very wrong

warspite1 -> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 (7/4/2018 9:31:33 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury

Normal, long championships can end in tie, even the group stage of World cup can end in ties, but knockout stages are win-or-lose

It looks like we will have a Brazil-England final.. that said, I have lost money so far, all my favorite teams are gone, so I might be very wrong
warspite1

Yes, you are 50% very wrong. England will not make the final. FACT.

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 (7/4/2018 11:07:13 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury

France vs. Somebody

geofflambert -> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 (7/5/2018 1:46:13 AM)

If Brandi Chastain ain't ripping her jersey off, I ain't watchin'.

Zorch -> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 (7/5/2018 3:26:32 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Brandi retired; would you settle for Jessica?

[image]local://upfiles/34241/952F25D293794CBFBCC186A7CD0FEAC3.jpg[/image]

wegman58 -> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 (7/5/2018 2:12:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

quote:

The NFL can end on a tie.

NOT in the playoffs.

I would much rather the NHL allowed the regular season to end in a tie after 5 on 5 OT. None of this penalty shot nonsense.

wegman58 -> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 (7/5/2018 2:13:43 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

That about covers my interest in the sport.

Anachro -> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 (7/5/2018 2:20:05 PM)

I like penalty shots in the NHL. I also like the new 3 on 3 OT format. Super fun!

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018 (7/5/2018 2:28:20 PM)

quote:

NOT in the playoffs.

True, but the NFL allows unlimited substitutions. In playoff and Super Bowl rules, overtimes would go on forever until one team prevails. But teams could rest players and substitute. In soccer that can't happen. Soccer is also based on running very fast for long distances; football is based on explosive use of energy for a few seconds. Soccer in overtime in the 230th minute would be supremely boring. I suspect a Super Bowl in the fifth or sixth overtime would be too, but there you at least have the mercy of a possible field goal, so the actual relevant field of play is only forty yards wide or so.

I get that the USA doesn't like soccer much. But the WC is a great event and soccer played at that level is really interesting. It's also good, in this era of American history, to remind ourselves that there is a world out there that continues to function whether we pull our heads into our shells or not.

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI