Getting updates after reinstalling old CD game version (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support

Saburo Kurusu -> Getting updates after reinstalling old CD game version (6/23/2018 10:06:26 PM)

Hello guys,

after a long time of absence to this great forum, I'm coming back with a problem. After 12 years of intense usage my PC finally died in full action. I have made no external copy of the game, so I must install it again from the old original CD (from 2009?) onto the new machine. I was really surprised that this antique version could be set up under Win10 (I still had it running on Win7/32 bit version, oh yes, that's not a joke! [:D]) at all and it even runs, but that's only a first impression. The real question now is how to get it updated again to the newest available version. The update routine of AE itself says that it can't do that, and that I should ask at Matrix Forum for help. And that's what I'm doing now!
Well, thank you very much in advance for your precious and highly valued support, dear friends!
[&o]

Anachro -> RE: Getting updates after reinstalling old CD game version (6/23/2018 10:22:29 PM)

Here in the Tech Support forum, you'll find a stickied thread at the top called "Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1126b updated 17 Sept 2016". Download and follow the installation instructions there to have your game updated to the latest beta patch.

btd64 -> RE: Getting updates after reinstalling old CD game version (6/23/2018 10:48:32 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saburo Kurusu

Hello guys,

after a long time of absence to this great forum, I'm coming back with a problem. After 12 years of intense usage my PC finally died in full action. I have made no external copy of the game, so I must install it again from the old original CD (from 2009?) onto the new machine. I was really surprised that this antique version could be set up under Win10 (I still had it running on Win7/32 bit version, oh yes, that's not a joke! [:D]) at all and it even runs, but that's only a first impression. The real question now is how to get it updated again to the newest available version. The update routine of AE itself says that it can't do that, and that I should ask at Matrix Forum for help. And that's what I'm doing now!
Well, thank you very much in advance for your precious and highly valued support, dear friends!
[&o]

Welcome back...
If you can't upgrade the game from the in game updater then go to "Support" and look under your "My games" tab. v1126a is the latest official patch. Then to go to the latest beta follow Anachro's info above....GP

Saburo Kurusu -> RE: Getting updates after reinstalling old CD game version (6/24/2018 12:08:07 AM)

Thank you very much so far! But when doing the final update, an error arises, see attachment....
I tried various other paths but the effect remains the same. [&:]

[image]local://upfiles/35535/2330E8F0EFFB48DB9ACFDA4F860CBB3E.jpg[/image]

BillBrown -> RE: Getting updates after reinstalling old CD game version (6/24/2018 2:21:25 AM)

Did you use the path that you installed the game to?

Saburo Kurusu -> RE: Getting updates after reinstalling old CD game version (6/24/2018 6:13:22 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BillBrown

Did you use the path that you installed the game to?

Yes, that's the path to the game, but I also tried other ones........ Same error!

BillBrown -> RE: Getting updates after reinstalling old CD game version (6/24/2018 6:51:39 PM)

First off, I would never install the game to that directory. Put it somewhere else like "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific"

Second, if the program can't be installed, it usually means that that directory doesn't exist, or the installed did not find the programs and/or folders that it expects.

Saburo Kurusu -> RE: Getting updates after reinstalling old CD game version (6/24/2018 8:09:39 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BillBrown

First off, I would never install the game to that directory. Put it somewhere else like "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific"

That solved the problem, it really doesn't seem to like being stuck under "program files"! [;)]

Now I am playing with the switches, I will put questions to that in the proper thread, thank you very much again! [&o]

Anachro -> RE: Getting updates after reinstalling old CD game version (6/24/2018 10:51:51 PM)

These additional switches made my Win10 experience much more stable. The only kink being I can't have another active program, etc. that involves movements/action maximized in the background. For instance, internet browser with animations/video playing needs to be minimized or it disrupts the game feed when the game is maximized. Other than that, works great.

-altFont -deepColor -skipVideo -SingleCpuOrders -dd_sw

The SingleCPUOrders and dd_sw in particular seem to help. The others alter the graphical settings, font size, and skip the intro video on startup. I also use the -f and resolution switches, of course.

BBfanboy -> RE: Getting updates after reinstalling old CD game version (6/25/2018 3:48:31 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anachro

These additional switches made my Win10 experience much more stable. The only kink being I can't have another active program, etc. that involves movements/action maximized in the background. For instance, internet browser with animations/video playing needs to be minimized or it disrupts the game feed when the game is maximized. Other than that, works great.

-altFont -deepColor -skipVideo -SingleCpuOrders -dd_sw

The SingleCPUOrders and dd_sw in particular seem to help. The others alter the graphical settings, font size, and skip the intro video on startup. I also use the -f and resolution switches, of course.

A lot of recent posts on Win 10 issues mention that they had to play in Windowed mode (the -w switch), to prevent the desktop images bleeding through to the game.

Saburo Kurusu -> RE: Getting updates after reinstalling old CD game version (6/25/2018 5:37:30 PM)

I learned that switching off transparency effets in the color settings of Win10 would prevent bleeding through. I did that from the beginning and have no problems with that, at least up to now.
-skipVideo is really nice and -altFont doesn't make much of a difference to my eyes.........

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI