Looking for a portable laptop for DOS games (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

agariogames -> Looking for a portable laptop for DOS games (8/1/2018 9:47:07 AM)

I've been searching everywhere but there is not enough demand that my questions are easily answerable with a google search.

I am currently looking for a netbook or notebook that is preferably 13.3" and UNDER $300 that can run DOSbox with most <2000 games. I will be traveling a bit in March and throughout the summer and waiting around in airports or long flights are a drag. Mobile games just don't entertain me enough.

I have been searching thinkpads, dells, acers, everything. But I have no source to go to that compares what processors are the best for DOSbox. RAM and hardrive space isn't much of a priority for me.

If anybody has a better source I can go to or knows from hands on experience PLEASE let me know. I will keep this tab open for about a week before I purchase something as I have a flight in about three weeks.

Alex777 -> RE: Looking for a portable laptop for DOS games (8/4/2018 3:30:29 AM)

A couple of years ago I picked up a Panasonic Toughbook, 2001 era, for US$86. I wiped the hard drive and then installed Win XP SP 1. I use it exclusively for DOS (with DOSBox) and early Windows games. That version of Windows did not require an internet connection to install, so the Toughbook has never been online. I think this would answer your needs.

Kuokkanen -> RE: Looking for a portable laptop for DOS games (8/4/2018 5:18:00 PM)

8-Bit Guy tells about it in detail.

leonette -> RE: Looking for a portable laptop for DOS games (8/11/2018 1:44:58 AM)

Thanks for posting.

ornight -> RE: Looking for a portable laptop for DOS games (8/12/2018 2:54:41 PM)

I do not know if 64-bit processors are going to have a problem with launching this system.

Jon Marquise -> RE: Looking for a portable laptop for DOS games (8/14/2018 5:02:46 AM)

What is the best laptop under $500?

Iryda -> RE: Looking for a portable laptop for DOS games (8/14/2018 8:04:52 AM)

What is the best laptop for web developers

strikeforceheroes3s -> RE: Looking for a portable laptop for DOS games (8/24/2018 4:13:50 AM)

I think you can refer to the Dell series

zakblood -> RE: Looking for a portable laptop for DOS games (8/24/2018 5:48:10 AM)

waiting now for the incoming spam, as name means everything,

spammer eyes are now open and with your nic / name here, you had made it onto my on watch list, welcome to the forum[;)]

Kuokkanen -> RE: Looking for a portable laptop for DOS games (8/24/2018 2:54:53 PM)

"Ahh, fresh meat!"

nadhim1 -> RE: Looking for a portable laptop for DOS games (10/26/2018 8:51:47 AM)

I've been searching everywhere but there is not enough demand that my questions are easily answerable with a google search. I am currently looking for a netbook or notebook that is preferably 13.3" and UNDER $300 that can run DOSbox with most <2000 games. I will be traveling a bit in March and throughout the summer and waiting around in airports or long flights are a drag. Mobile games just don't entertain me enough. I have been searching thinkpads, dells, acers, everything. But I have no source to go to that compares what processors are the best for DOSbox. RAM and hardrive space isn't much of a priority for me.

Rising-Sun -> RE: Looking for a portable laptop for DOS games (10/26/2018 1:19:48 PM)

Try Newegg.com, they have a lot of good deals and barebones too.

rommel222 -> RE: Looking for a portable laptop for DOS games (10/26/2018 4:23:27 PM)

Greetings to All,
I find good old games,gog.com, that I used to play on my Commodore C-64 there that can run on Win 7, 8 & 10 and w/NO DRM (no dos needed).
You might find some titles there you like to keep you going until you find a dos compatible laptop. Sales are quite good there.

Kuokkanen -> RE: Looking for a portable laptop for DOS games (10/26/2018 6:07:13 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: nadhim1

I've been searching everywhere but there is not enough demand that my questions are easily answerable with a google search. I am currently looking for a netbook or notebook that is preferably 13.3" and UNDER $300 that can run DOSbox with most <2000 games.

Keep in mind that emulation requires performance, in addition of the game's requirements. You can get better performance for that cost from used computers. If it has Turion II processor (my laptop has it) and decent graphic adapter, it ought to be plenty enough. If used laptop has Windows XP, it could run most MS-DOS games (and many Windows ones) without emulation.

[edit]
I checked my laptop and eBay. My laptop model is HP Pavilion dv7-4024so with following:
Turion II 2.3 GHz processor
17,3" monitor, 1600x900 (way bigger what you want)
500 GB HDD
4 GB of RAM
WLAN/WIFI
BD drive
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 with 1 GB of RAM
Memory card reader, camera, Win7, some software

It cost me almost 1000 € when new and it has run all the games I have thrown at it, unless compatibility with Win7 gets in the way (happened for CD version of Worms Armageddon). Ultra Street Fighter IV may be heaviest game I have played on it, and it runs good. Same exact model doesn't seem to be available on eBay at the moment, but you can use that hardware as reference for buying used laptop.

[edit2]
This looks good

Zap -> RE: Looking for a portable laptop for DOS games (10/26/2018 8:50:43 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: nadhim1

I've been searching everywhere but there is not enough demand that my questions are easily answerable with a google search. I am currently looking for a netbook or notebook that is preferably 13.3" and UNDER $300 that can run DOSbox with most <2000 games. I will be traveling a bit in March and throughout the summer and waiting around in airports or long flights are a drag. Mobile games just don't entertain me enough. I have been searching thinkpads, dells, acers, everything. But I have no source to go to that compares what processors are the best for DOSbox. RAM and hardrive space isn't much of a priority for me.

Zakblood, this guy (nadhim1) is a spammer the post made was copied from the OP.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI