RE: Board game style mod (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> Mods

rocketman71 -> RE: Board game style mod (10/24/2018 9:36:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: gliz2

This is a AMAZING ART bro. Kudos to You for Your efforts[sm=00000436.gif]

Hear, hear! Truly a work of art. That's why I so desperately wanted it to work. Kudos to the maker [&o]

Cabido -> RE: Board game style mod (11/3/2018 2:18:57 AM)

Thanks for the kind feedbacks. I've just updated the page with a new interface mod.

[image]local://upfiles/58482/FEF5974973C443178298611B749D4202.jpg[/image]

Cabido -> RE: Board game style mod (11/6/2018 8:34:01 PM)

For those who have downloaded version 1.2 of the mod, here are new cursors (already added to version 1.2.1). These make it easier to distinguish hotspots and movement vs selection functions. They are fancier too. You need to place them in your Cursors folder under Graphics Override. Delete circlesc.cur and cursor1.cur; you should have circlesc.ani, cursor1.ani and crosshai.cur files in this folder.

gwgardner -> RE: Board game style mod (11/7/2018 3:36:10 AM)

I very much enjoy your mod. Thanks for the updates.

May I ask why the dense urban has a white circle around it? It is the only graphic that seems out of keeping with the rest of the mod, to me.

Rasputitsa -> RE: Board game style mod (11/7/2018 9:20:27 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: gwgardner

I very much enjoy your mod. Thanks for the updates.

May I ask why the dense urban has a white circle around it? It is the only graphic that seems out of keeping with the rest of the mod, to me.

Is this not part of update v4.1, as I have noticed that it appears when you get a battle report and it highlights the battle hex. I don't know if it's adjustable, e.g. is there an off key ?

Cabido -> RE: Board game style mod (11/7/2018 6:05:01 PM)

gwgardner is right. It's part of the mod. I may change it at some point, but it's not that easy. I have tried to create the look of hand drawn board, so as to give a greater impression of a real board game, since we cannot play with perspective or lighting. I could not simply change the drawing style of the dense urban completely (to keep a coherent look) and I have to deal with color limitations, since urban hexes are frequently placed over hills, forest, open, desert, etc. You have to get a color that fits well all those different tonalities. Density alone wasn't enough to distinguish - clearly - a dense urban hex from an urban hex when placed side by side. Since some games use circles to identify cities and dense urban tend to be very important hexes, for their huge defensive bonus and for being, usually, convergence points of roads and railroads, circling was a solution to highlight them as well as defining their borders with relation to urban hex.

Anyway, I may try to find a different solution, at some point, and upload it as an option.

Rasputitsa -> RE: Board game style mod (11/8/2018 3:57:27 PM)

Ooops, looking at the wrong white circle ! [&:]

sPzAbt653 -> RE: Board game style mod (11/9/2018 12:11:06 AM)

For what it's worth concerning urban and dense urban graphics, I was working on SC3 graphics mods and tried a few variations of urban graphics taken from old board game styles, and none of them looked very nice. I had noticed that some board games used simple circles [as you mention] so I tried them and liked the results enough to use them [as seen below].
Not trying to influence anything, just discussing it [:)]

[image]local://upfiles/24850/80C935CD9F6D4D5DA2E8CB50CEFC48B9.jpg[/image]

Cabido -> RE: Board game style mod (11/9/2018 8:12:13 PM)

Primitive forms are always an elegant solution. Spheres work very well for cities when we have a low scale map. In a large scale one, we would have multiple spheres for a single city, so it wouldn't work. TOAW uses multiple scales, so we have to find a middle ground.

rhinobones -> RE: Board game style mod (11/10/2018 3:34:47 AM)

Much prefer Cabido’s graphics. His graphics design seem to enhance play of the game.

Regards, RhinoBones

Cabido -> RE: Board game style mod (11/16/2018 11:42:48 PM)

Just some additions to the mod.

A flatter looking border for urban hex (the old one is included as well). I have also tweaked the hex outline and included a black version, for those that are hex outline lovers like me. An alternative light urban hex was also included.

[image]local://upfiles/58482/0627957F99B344E997B7D5AD465765AA.jpg[/image]

gwgardner -> RE: Board game style mod (11/17/2018 6:08:00 PM)

Better and better; those urban outlines are so much less intrusive than before.

Cabido -> RE: Board game style mod (11/18/2018 2:42:32 PM)

I have updated the mod to version 1.4 with new mountains, alpine and hills tiles and some tweaks to urban tiles.

Excuse me those that have just downloaded it for my erratic updates, but I never know when I'll have the time and will to deal with it. Usually it is something that is bothering me while playing.

Anyway, if you use a customized mod, the files that have been changed are listed in the instruction, so you can just grab those.

[image]local://upfiles/58482/4BCD251B659048B7BBB6732791624BEC.jpg[/image]

Cabido -> RE: Board game style mod (11/18/2018 2:43:44 PM)

One more picture

[image]local://upfiles/58482/FB6072DBEB7245EFB94C906B39260F41.jpg[/image]

budd -> RE: Board game style mod (11/18/2018 3:48:00 PM)

This really is fantastic work, thank you for sharing.

rocketman71 -> RE: Board game style mod (11/19/2018 9:34:15 PM)

I have the version of the mod before the interface was added. Now I wanted to update with the new tiles and not the interface so I grabbed the 15 files as noted in the intstructions. Now I get these weird artifacts. How come?

[image]local://upfiles/24142/315FF2DD4D3541489434795F88B7BDE1.jpg[/image]

Cabido -> RE: Board game style mod (11/20/2018 12:00:05 AM)

There was really some uncleaned borders on the hills tiles bitmap. I've cleaned it and have uploaded the corrected version. But it should be noted that it shouldn't display the way it does in the picture you have posted, since the level of transparency is very high. In my computer it is unnoticeable. Anyway, try to use the new version and see if it works for you.

rocketman71 -> RE: Board game style mod (11/20/2018 10:44:08 PM)

It looks great now again, thanks :)
I just installed all files again. However, I would like to go back to the previous Cursors. Can those be downloaded seperately?

Cabido -> RE: Board game style mod (11/20/2018 11:28:02 PM)

This depends on what you mean by previous cursors. If you want the original TOAW cursors, just delete the cursors folder inside the graphics override folder. If you mean the cursors of the first version of the mod, just download it on the site (below) and substitute the cursors folder inside the graphics override folder. You'll notice the difference in the file name. The version 1 cursors have, all of them, .cur extension; from version 1.3 on, two of the files have .ani extension.

rocketman71 -> RE: Board game style mod (11/21/2018 3:54:12 PM)

Solved. I got confused and thought that there were only three cursor files, so the animated ones remained when I updated the other three.
BTW, also had a look at the flow chard player's aid you made. Terrific stuff [:)]

lamarax -> RE: Board game style mod (11/22/2018 6:58:56 PM)

My first post (ok, maybe second) in this forum after many years of lurking and being a Matrix customer, is to thank you for your outstanding work!

Below are my "historically corrected" flag and roundel files, adjusted for your mod. I hope you can find the time to review and integrate them better.

Cabido -> RE: Board game style mod (11/23/2018 4:01:07 PM)

Thanks for the compliment. I'll take a look at your file when I get some time. But it is important to notice that the objective flags are the only thing in my mod with which I'm still very dissatisfied. I didn't find a way to alter the mask used to display the flag. It seems to be coded somewhere. It doesn't seem to be defined by a bitmap mask available for change. I may be wrong, but I've already posted a question about it and got no answer. I have just changed saturation and the flag's borders.

The flags are just extremely invasive, as you can see from the pictures I've posted. They cover all terrain features, but when there are a lot of objective hexes (exactly when they are more invasive) it is mandatory to keep them on. There are two solutions: one is to allow editing the mask and position of the flags in the hex, so that one can design a less invasive solution; the other would be to program a keyboard hotkey to switch on/off the flags and keep them above the counters while pressed (like the way the space bar works). Going to the panel to switch it below, above or off every time is painful, so that I'll keep them on all the time while planning, blocking the view of the terrain features and kind of spoiling the look of the map.

[image]local://upfiles/58482/7F0E4A505BB74B46B300BA28DA96F125.jpg[/image]

Cabido -> RE: Board game style mod (11/23/2018 4:01:44 PM)

Without flags

[image]local://upfiles/58482/EB8D5F2A209A45E494BB62E51525BBDB.jpg[/image]

gliz2 -> RE: Board game style mod (11/25/2018 10:16:44 AM)

I'd wish to make a complaint ;)

The new interface colours are to washed out and not contrasting enough. Yellow on drab green/olive is perefectly visible whereas yellow on beige is I can't see **** :(

Other than that amazing work. They should implement it by default in the next iterration.

Cabido -> RE: Board game style mod (11/25/2018 11:49:09 AM)

If you refer to the text inside the boxes, they shouldn't be yellow anymore. Are you sure you are using the fonts file provided. Anyway, if you don't want to use the provided fonts, just change them at will in the Player Options menu. Yellow text won't work for sure.

Cabido -> RE: Board game style mod (11/25/2018 11:58:14 AM)

This is the way it should look. You may prefer the original, but I think it is readable. If you want still further contrast, just don't adjust the transparency as suggested in the instructions.

[image]local://upfiles/58482/05EDC61D74E74DA1A78057F4739CE2B3.jpg[/image]

gliz2 -> RE: Board game style mod (11/26/2018 7:35:16 AM)

Ok. Now it looks better. Thank You Sir :)

tcarusil -> RE: Board game style mod (11/26/2018 9:57:42 PM)

I am trying out this mod and have a question. In the standard Opart4.ini there was a line "HugeIcons=Y" that would make the fonts in the Information Panel larger. This was a big help for my aging eyes. This command does not seem to work with this mod. Am I doing something wrong, or is this feature not supported by the mod?

Thanks for all your effort.

TomC

Cabido -> RE: Board game style mod (11/26/2018 10:08:03 PM)

The mod doesn't change anything in Opart4.ini. The fonts should continue to work as previously. If you can't get the results you want by changing the ini file, try setting the font's size directly in the fonts editor (Play > Player Options > right arrow > Edit Fonts). I think the Information Panel font is called Status Bar in the editor. Just change the size, leave the editor and press CTRL + R in order to refresh.

tcarusil -> RE: Board game style mod (11/27/2018 10:16:18 PM)

You were on the right track, but not the correct name. Changing the font for the "Status Bar" impacts the box at the bottom of the screen. To change the fonts in what I called the "Information Panel" I discovered that the changes need to be made to the "Unit Info Medium Font" and the "Unit Info Value Font".

Again, thanks for your wonderful work on this mod.

TomC

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI