Semi OT, a relic pops up in the water in Puget Sound (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

Lecivius -> Semi OT, a relic pops up in the water in Puget Sound (8/29/2018 2:11:02 PM)

I sure am glad I was not one of the guys in the water with this [8D]

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/authorities-detonate-mysterious-mine-floating-in-puget-sound/ar-BBMAfzX?li=BBnbfcL

btd64 -> RE: Semi OT, a relic pops up in the water in Puget Sound (8/29/2018 2:14:43 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/authorities-detonate-mysterious-mine-floating-in-puget-sound/ar-BBMAfzX?li=BBnbfcL

Just read about this on my news feed. incredible....GP

Chickenboy -> RE: Semi OT, a relic pops up in the water in Puget Sound (8/29/2018 3:14:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

Hory crap! [X(]

DConn -> RE: Semi OT, a relic pops up in the water in Puget Sound (8/29/2018 4:30:25 PM)

This happened about a mile from my house; watched the whole thing from my deck, and heard the explosion. Reports are that there was no secondary explosion, so they think the mine was inert. I'm assuming the divers put a charge on it to get rid of it, but haven't heard for sure.

rsallen64 -> RE: Semi OT, a relic pops up in the water in Puget Sound (8/29/2018 6:02:06 PM)

I lived in Port Orchard while going to law school, and used to take the ferry back and forth to Seattle every day. Glad this didn't pop loose from its moorings then! [X(]

BBfanboy -> RE: Semi OT, a relic pops up in the water in Puget Sound (8/29/2018 7:09:20 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rsallen64

I lived in Port Orchard while going to law school, and used to take the ferry back and forth to Seattle every day. Glad this didn't pop loose from its moorings then! [X(]

But .... if one mine just had its rusty chain break, there could be many others about to have the same thing happen ...

Lecivius -> RE: Semi OT, a relic pops up in the water in Puget Sound (8/29/2018 7:22:23 PM)

I'm sure there are. Going purely from memory (which is shot to hell) finding WWII mines is rare, but happens once or twice a year.

geofflambert -> RE: Semi OT, a relic pops up in the water in Puget Sound (8/29/2018 10:33:12 PM)

Some half literate commented on one of the You-tube videos that there are a lot more where that came from and described the field where they are most likely to be found.

jim k
6 hours ago (edited)
Back in 1975 when i was about 10 years old we seen them Naval mine's,
Floating in the Puget sound off of Camano island all of the time they came from ww2 from whidbey island Navy i do remember they knew and were told
back then
They were told and did nothing about it there are lots more out there floating around they need to check out between Comano island & whibey island

geofflambert -> RE: Semi OT, a relic pops up in the water in Puget Sound (8/29/2018 10:36:43 PM)

Seems like an odd place for a minefield.

[image]local://upfiles/37002/D7AE5BC2AE9946BDB278EB5AB6E3E488.jpg[/image]

DConn -> RE: Semi OT, a relic pops up in the water in Puget Sound (8/29/2018 10:50:08 PM)

Agree. My assumption (without any knowledge) is that it is from either Agate Pass or Rich Passage (north and south of Bainbridge Island), designed to protect the naval base in Bremerton.

NigelKentarus -> RE: Semi OT, a relic pops up in the water in Puget Sound (8/30/2018 2:16:28 AM)

Pretty incredible, saw that on the news this morning. I wonder how many more are still out there.

BBfanboy -> RE: Semi OT, a relic pops up in the water in Puget Sound (8/30/2018 2:50:25 AM)

I'm just guessing but I bet there is a mine at "Gold Bar".

Apollo11 -> RE: Semi OT, a relic pops up in the water in Puget Sound (8/30/2018 6:53:08 AM)

Hi all,

Any guesses about the origin of the mine?

Leo "Apollo11"

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: Semi OT, a relic pops up in the water in Puget Sound (8/30/2018 11:09:20 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

Hi all,

Leo "Apollo11"

An unaired episode of "Gilligan's Island."

Zorch -> RE: Semi OT, a relic pops up in the water in Puget Sound (8/30/2018 4:09:51 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

Hi all,

Leo "Apollo11"

Gilligan thinks it's a giant coconut and tries to crack it open...

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: Semi OT, a relic pops up in the water in Puget Sound (8/30/2018 4:15:48 PM)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCw75tpyJlo

Apollo11 -> RE: Semi OT, a relic pops up in the water in Puget Sound (8/31/2018 6:36:40 AM)

Hi all,

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

Gilligan thinks it's a giant coconut and tries to crack it open...

quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCw75tpyJlo

What can I say but "Shame on you!"... [sm=fighting0056.gif]

[8D]

Leo "Apollo11"

MuguNiner -> RE: Semi OT, a relic pops up in the water in Puget Sound (8/31/2018 6:28:06 PM)

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/navy-says-mystery-mine-found-off-bainbridge-island-was-from-2005-exercise/

HansBolter -> RE: Semi OT, a relic pops up in the water in Puget Sound (8/31/2018 6:38:06 PM)

quote:

Hi all,

Leo "Apollo11"

Obviously the one who laid the minefield didn't allcoate a sufficient number of tenders to maintain it and suffered some attrition as one broke free and eventually arrived here.

tc464 -> RE: Semi OT, a relic pops up in the water in Puget Sound (8/31/2018 8:32:19 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Some half literate commented on one of the You-tube videos that there are a lot more where that came from and described the field where they are most likely to be found.

The dimwit is probably right. I made a nice living for about 15 years traveling all over the US destroying WW2 munitions. Mines are uncommon, but more are found and destroyed than the public read about. We just don't advertise. As for this particular mine...there are a couple of naval test ranges in the area. Also, don't the currents going past this area originate in the Aleutians? And we're all familiar with that area...

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI