rule 7.3.6.1 and 7.3.6.2 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815

gdpsnake -> rule 7.3.6.1 and 7.3.6.2 (6/10/2003 7:29:12 PM)

TO ALL:

Please read 7.3.6.1 and 7.3.6.2 and answer:

Here are some situations and events which are true or false. If you say false , please explain why:

SITUATION1: Player A has a cossack and an ungarrisoned depot in an area. The cossack is NOT stacked on the depot.

EVENT1: Player B can move his friedkorps into the area, destroy the depot and stay/move on.
EVENT2: Player B can move his friedkorps into the area, convert the depot and stay/move on.
EVENT3: Player B can move a corps counter into the area, convert the depot and stay/move on.
EVENT4: Player B can move a corps counter into the area, stop and "consume" the depot to avoid a forage roll.

SITUATION2: Player A has a corp counter with one or more factors in the area and an ungarrisoned depot in the area. The corp is NOT stacked on the depot.

EVENT1: Player A can move his cossack into the area, destroy the depot and stay/move on.
EVENT2: Player A can move a corps counter into the area, stop and destroy the depot.
EVENT3: Player A can move a corps counter into the area, stop and "consume" the depot to avoid a forage roll.
EVENT4: Player A can move a corps counter into the area, stop and convert the depot.

NOTE: I know someone will reference 7.2 as a rule against some events presented here but I remind them that rule7.2 discusses "Creation and Placement" of depots. The depot is "ALREADY created and placed," only who controls the depot is the issue here.

I hope no one uses the "double duty" logic because 7.3.3.3.2 specifically says ..may form all or part of a CITY garrison.
AND I hope no one says this is an "oversight" because 7.3.3.3.1** specifically says city OR depot.

I know I said I was done with 'double duty' but I'm sure it will come up as SOAPY will certainly say his corps (or units as per 7.3.3.3.1** {can't have 7.3.3.3.2 as justification for double duty and not 7.3.3.3.1**, right?}) are doing "DOUBLE DUTY" despite the fact 7.3.3.3.2 doesn't say "and ALSO depots." So SOAPY will certainly say 7.3.6.2 applies.

**Clarification: If 7.3.3.3.2 is justification for double duty for a corps, then 7.3.3.3.1 MUST be justification for those units to "double duty." {SAME POSITION IN THE RULE BOOK under 7.3.3.3., SAME VERBIAGE!} I don't see how anyone can argue FOR 7.3.3.3.2 and then DENY 7.3.3.3.1. (DANGER! DANGER! WILL ROBINSON!)

So units listed in 7.3.3.3.1 can clearly double duty as well! (SOAPY agreed this was true earlier.)

The problem now with 7.3.3.3.1 is the rule says city OR depot implying only ONE CHOICE OR THE OTHER so to 'double duty' a cossack does one state he is 'garrisoning" the depot OR 'garrisoning' the city from the area as each case happens? Can he change his mind between the two at different times? But that would mean he can do both!

The logic of "OR" escapes me when mixed with the definition of allowing double duty.
The factors of the corps doing double duty are formed in the corps OR in the city OR on the depot (AS SOAPY WILL CERTAINLY SAY) as I choose.
SO the factor/factors of the unit/units doing double duty is formed in the city OR in the area OR in the garrison.
BUT 7.3.3.3.1 says in city OR in garrisons which implies one, not both. YET the logic says double duty allows both. Seems a contradiction to me.

Gee, SOAPY, for your claim that double duty somehow makes the game easier to play, I don't see it!

ALSO, just to clarfy: A corps (OR EVEN UNITS as per 7.3.3.3.1) can do "double duty" meaning ALL or PART of the corps can be considered formed in the city OR in the area for all the arguments recently offered (corps are special organizations, corps can react unlike garrisons so the factors can be in the city for garrison and fight a field battle, the corps is all over the area, 7.3.3.3.2 says may form all or part {may also means or none!}, and so on.)

SO, under this double duty logic, I assume that all or part of the corps (OR EVEN UNITS as per 7.3.3.3.1) in a city is ALSO in the area for all the same reasons.
WHY NOT? If a corps (OR EVEN UNITS as per 7.3.3.3.1) in an area can be 'everywhere over a month long period" why can't all or part of a corps (OR EVEN UNITS as per 7.3.3.3.1) in a city do the same? The corps (OR EVEN UNITS as per 7.3.3.3.1) is somehow different in the city and can't do all the things over a month long period like it can outside a city? Where would be the logic in that?! 7.3.3.3.2 says MAY so I could say all OR only part of my corps in the city is on garrison or even NONE of it!!!!! The rest is outside for the same logic that double duty proponents say that ALL OR PART on the outside can be in!

SO double duty must be the ability to do both. But the rules specifically forbid that don't they. I say that blows a hole in the double duty logic.

SNAKE

Le Tondu -> Oh no. (6/10/2003 8:43:54 PM)

I surely hope that this sort of thing doesn't exist in computer EiA. Otherwise, it will be more of a platform for arguments than a game.

soapyfrog -> Re: rule 7.3.6.1 and 7.3.6.2 (6/10/2003 9:10:58 PM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gdpsnake
[B]SITUATION2: Player A has a corp counter with one or more factors in the area and an ungarrisoned depot in the area. The corp is NOT stacked on the depot.[/QUOTE][/B]
We are fully in agreement that according to the rules as written it would be impossible for a corps to form a depot garrison.

[QUOTE][B]EVENT1: Player A can move his cossack into the area, destroy the depot and stay/move on.
EVENT2: Player A can move a corps counter into the area, stop and destroy the depot.
EVENT3: Player A can move a corps counter into the area, stop and "consume" the depot to avoid a forage roll.
EVENT4: Player A can move a corps counter into the area, stop and convert the depot.[/QUOTE][/B]
That any of these nonsensical things would be allowed to happen is clearly a gaping hole in the rules, which can be at least PARTIALLY resolved by saying that the rules for "Moving Into Combat" override the rules for "Moving into an enemy Depot Area"

Better just to say that any friendly corps in the area can act as a depot garrison for all purposes, although I agree this would be a house rule, neccessary to eliminate illogical occurances like you described.
[QUOTE][B]I hope no one uses the "double duty" logic because 7.3.3.3.2 specifically says ..may form all or part of a CITY garrison.
AND I hope no one says this is an "oversight" because 7.3.3.3.1** specifically says city OR depot.[/QUOTE][/B]
Well it's me talkin' so I'm going to use it! :D

We have already discussed the "quantum" nature of field forces, whether you subscribe to that theory or not. So under my reading of the rules indeed the cossack COULD be garrisonning the Depot for the purposes of [B]7.3.6.2[/B]. It presents no problem that the cossack would not at that moment be garrisonning the city as well, since the enemy corps can't actually do anything about it, and furthermore the cossack will have the option of destroying the depot and retreating there, where you would then resolve [B]7.3.7.2[/B].

No fuss, no muss. There are no conflicts between the meaning of the verbiage in [B]7.3.3.3.1[/B] and [B]7.3.3.3.2[/B] in this case (what's good for the goose is good for the gander)

Field forces (corps/cossacks) are wherever they need to be in an area. This is the essence of the so-called "double-duty" interpretation.
[QUOTE][B]BUT 7.3.3.3.1 says in city OR in garrisons which implies one, not both. YET the logic says double duty allows both. Seems a contradiction to me.[/QUOTE][/B]
And yet once again you'll notice that when it is important for the cossack (for example) o be garrisoning the depot, the garrisonned status of the city is unimportant, so there is no conflict. If the cossack for some reason NEEDED to garrison both simultaneously then I would agree you would have a difficulty (as the cossack would need to be specified as garrsioning one or the other before-hand and thus cause a need to note it's position). Since such a situation never arises, it is patently unneccessary to note the specific position of the cossack in the area.

gdpsnake -> (6/10/2003 9:29:26 PM)

SOAPY,

"And yet once again you'll notice that when it is important for the cossack (for example) o be garrisoning the depot, the garrisonned status of the city is unimportant, so there is no conflict. If the cossack for some reason NEEDED to garrison both simultaneously then I would agree you would have a difficulty (as the cossack would need to be specified as garrsioning one or the other before-hand and thus cause a need to note it's position). Since such a situation never arises, it is patently unneccessary to note the specific position of the cossack in the area."

SO, a friedkorps enters the area.
You say, "you can't touch my depot, I'm garrsioning the depot."

I say: "OK, I'll just take the city then....."

YOU SAY:
"That any of these nonsensical things would be allowed to happen is clearly a gaping hole in the rules, which can be at least PARTIALLY resolved by saying that the rules for "Moving Into Combat" override the rules for "Moving into an enemy Depot Area"

I say, only a gaping hole in the rules for those who play the nonsensical "double duty" rule. No problem at all if you don't.

There are rules for MOVING INTO COMBAT? I assume you refer to 7.3.2.1. But no where does 7.3.6.1 require ANY movement cost to perform the action - only a move into the area irrespective of 7.3.2.1. You still move into the area for combat.

YOU SAID:
"We are fully in agreement that according to the rules as written it would be impossible for a corps to form a depot garrison."

Yet you say a corps could garrison the city?! The corps can be all over the place in the area AND the city BUT NOT THE DEPOT?! Wouldn't that be a direct contradiction to the concept of double duty or (dare I coin the phrase triple duty!) LOL!

I would say overall, that your double duty interpretation is the one that causes all this quagmire. What quagmire is caused by playing without double duty?
The ONLY one presented so far that bears any merit is a corps that can't detach as able to attack but unable to control a small city.
BUT, there are WRITTEN rules that specifically say these corps can't because they are "special."

In any case,
Wouldn't the answer to ALL the events in BOTH situations have to be false under the double duty concept? Did you imply any were true? And if so, doesn't that pose a contradiction for double duty?

Even you say:
No fuss, no muss. There are no conflicts between the meaning of the verbiage in 7.3.3.3.1 and 7.3.3.3.2 in this case (what's good for the goose is good for the gander)

Field forces (corps/cossacks) are wherever they need to be in an area. This is the essence of the so-called "double-duty" interpretation.

So forces can be in a city or out when they are outside but that same force can't be in a city or out when it's inside? How logical is that

SNAKE

soapyfrog -> (6/10/2003 11:03:34 PM)

[B]SO, a friedkorps enters the area.
You say, "you can't touch my depot, I'm garrsioning the depot."

I say: "OK, I'll just take the city then....."
[/QUOTE][/B]
Just follow the rules: If the cossack is garrisoning the depot (which is would logically be), then it may destroy it and withdraw into the city... If it does not destroy it, the freikorps must declare an attack. Since there is no provision that permits the Freikorps that entered the area to move into the city until AFTER combat, what you describe cannot happen.
[QUOTE][B]I say, only a gaping hole in the rules for those who play the nonsensical "double duty" rule. No problem at all if you don't.[/QUOTE][/B]
If you accept the scenarios you painted as reasonable, sure. They aren't though (IMHO).
[QUOTE][B]There are rules for MOVING INTO COMBAT?[/QUOTE][/B]
Yes they're called [B]7.3.7: MOVING INTO COMBAT[/B]
[QUOTE][B]Wouldn't that be a direct contradiction to the concept of double duty or (dare I coin the phrase triple duty!) LOL![/QUOTE][/B]
Given that the cossacks/freikorps would be able to garrison depots, and corps would not, I am thinking it is probable that this is a mistake in the rules. Do you really NOT ALLOW corps to garrison depots when freikorps/cossacks can under your reading of the rules?

Even if this is the case, the same "problem" exists in both interpretations... in both cases there are two possible solutions, one is to assume the corps can do with the depot what it will when enemy forces move in (a houserule to eliminate a rules glitch) or require the depot to be garrisoned by detached factors or cossacks/freikorps. In either case it doesn't have much to do with how you see the ruel, double-duty or no.

[QUOTE][B]I would say overall, that your double duty interpretation is the one that causes all this quagmire. What quagmire is caused by playing without double duty?![/QUOTE][/B]
What quagmire is caused by playing WITH double duty? You keep trying to invent problems that aren't problems. Not ONE SINGLE ISSUE you've raised actually presents ANY PROBLEM AT ALL to someone who plays so-called "double duty".
[QUOTE][B]BUT, there are WRITTEN rules that specifically say these corps can't because they are "special."[/QUOTE][/B]
It specifically says they can't control small cities becuase they're "special"???

gdpsnake -> (6/10/2003 11:19:05 PM)

SOAPY

SOAPY SAID: Just follow the rules: If the cossack is garrisoning the depot (which is would logically be), then it may destroy it and withdraw into the city

Good Point, I agree. But I got the thing destroyed!

SOAPY SAID: "....it (the cossack)* does not destroy it, the freikorps must declare an attack'
*two words added by snake.

Bad point, where does it say I must attack in 6.3.6.2? It says the moving player CHOOSES to stop and fight. I choose continue my move right into your city because your DD boy is garrisoning the depot, not the city!

Try again!

SOAPY SAID: Yes they're called 7.3.7: MOVING INTO COMBAT

GOT MEIN HUMMEL! (visualize smoking wreck!)

However, 7.3.6.1 and 7.3.6.2 are rules NOT UNDER section 7.3.7 so I maintain my position.

SOAPY SAID: "Given that the cossacks/freikorps would be able to garrison depots, and corps would not, I am thinking it is probable that this is a mistake in the rules."

This would only be a mistake for those who agree to double duty.

SOAPY SAID: "It specifically says they can't control small cities becuase they're "special"???*(referring to TU feudal/Insurrection corps)
* added by snake

Yes, these TU and AU corps are "special" (looking for better descriptive noun) and so have "special" rules under 10.0 to deal with their "unique" abilities (better noun?)
Part of that "uniqueness" is an inability to detach and thereby control certain cities BY THEMSELVES. I still say this never prevents a TU or AU player FROM EVER achieving control of any city. use demobilization or other corps, or reinforcement or.....

SNAKE

soapyfrog -> (6/10/2003 11:40:21 PM)

[B]Good Point, I agree. But I got the thing destroyed![/QUOTE][/B]
Nothing wrong with that either way.
[QUOTE][B]Bad point, where does it say I must attack in 6.3.6.2? It says the moving player CHOOSES to stop and fight. I choose continue my move right into your city because your DD boy is garrisoning the depot, not the city![/QUOTE][/B]
Oh, you can keep moving, just not into the city! The rules don't allow you, remember? :D
[QUOTE][B]However, 7.3.6.1 and 7.3.6.2 are rules NOT UNDER section 7.3.7 so I maintain my position.[/QUOTE][/B]
Oh I agree, which is why it is a "problem" IMHO in that it creates nonsensical (again IMHO) results. But you could play it your way under either interpretation, as I have said.

[QUOTE][B]This would only be a mistake for those who agree to double duty.[/QUOTE][/B]
It has NOTHING to do with double duty, it has to do with whether corps can garrison depots under ANY READING of the rules. What does it have to do with double duty, nothing! The central contention of double duty, that corps may control cities in an area without detaching or moving entirely inside reamins completely and totally untouched.

Corps garrsioning depots is a seperate issue, and I agree that under the rules as written, they cannot (which is "wrong" IMHO)
[QUOTE][B]Yes, these TU and AU corps are "special" (looking for better descriptive noun) and so have "special" rules under 10.0 to deal with their "unique" abilities (better noun?)[/QUOTE][/B]
Oh they are "special" no doubt... they do have a set of special rules pertaining to them, but the thing you claim is explicitly stated (that they are not allowed to form garrisons without detaching or entirely moving in), is not.

gdpsnake -> (6/11/2003 12:10:32 AM)

Soapy,
"Oh, you can keep moving, just not into the city! The rules don't allow you, remember?"

No, I don't remember. What rules are they?

"Oh they are "special" no doubt... they do have a set of special rules pertaining to them, but the thing you claim is explicitly stated (that they are not allowed to form garrisons without detaching or entirely moving in), is"

I don't see any explicit stament allowing it either unless, once again, you wish to pin all your argument on 7.3.3.3.2. AND THEREBY state a TU corps can form all or part of a garrison without detaching (double duty) whether it fits or not.

An interesting argument and one I would HAVE to agree with IF I agreed to double duty (Better win that die roll LOL!).

SO, CONVERSLY, you would HAVE to agree these units could not garrison ALL the cities in the game IN all cases (SIZE DOES MATTER HERE! LOL!) in a game played without double duty.

Back to square one for both on this one.

The point I make here (because I don't believe dd) is that this rule in no way PREVENTS a TU player from achieving control through other methods available in the rules and IS NOT justification to play with double duty-just to allow a TU or AU to make more use of his corps than allowed (without double duty).

SNAKE

soapyfrog -> (6/11/2003 12:27:24 AM)

[B]No, I don't remember. What rules are they?[/QUOTE][/B]
So again you try to poke holes in MY interpretation using YOUR interpretation. Why do you do that? Not productive.

However, I will say that EVEN IF you ALLOW movement into cities during movement (something not explicitly allowed by the rules), the same problem presents itself in BOTH interpretations, taht is units can "sneak" into "vacant" cities...

Except under my interpretation at least you could not do it when a corps is present.

However I would subscribe to the reaidng of the rules wherein you cannot move into cities in the movement phase, especially as it's not neccessary.

Does that clear things up?

[QUOTE][B]I don't see any explicit stament allowing it either unless, once again, you wish to pin all your argument on 7.3.3.3.2. AND THEREBY state a TU corps can form all or part of a garrison without detaching (double duty) whether it fits or not.[/QUOTE][/B]
And you know that this exactly what I have been maintaining all along. :D
[QUOTE][B]An interesting argument and one I would HAVE to agree with IF I agreed to double duty (Better win that die roll LOL!).[/QUOTE][/B]
Well I would play either way without issue... both ways "work"... I would just PREFER to play "my" way becuase it's easier and "nicer'.
[QUOTE][B]SO, CONVERSLY, you would HAVE to agree these units could not garrison (SIZE DOES MATTER HERE! LOL!) in a game played without double duty.[/QUOTE][/B]
Certainly yes, it is one of the side-effects of NOT interpreting [B]7.3.3.3.2[/B] to allow "double-duty". That is why I like to play "my" way (and no one in any of my groups who has tried it for any length of time has wound up disagreeing with me).
[QUOTE][B]The point I make here (because I don't believe dd) is that this rule in no way PREVENTS a TU player from achieving control through other methods available in the rules and IS NOT justification to play with double duty-just to allow a TU or AU to make more use of his corps than allowed (without double duty). [/B][/QUOTE]
Although I agree your way works, I think the "silliness" of having to disband troops to fit in a city IS a justification of my interpretation, albeit a somewhat subjective one.

*sniff* I feel like we've made a breakthrough :D

gdpsnake -> (6/11/2003 4:04:38 AM)

SOAPY,

*sniff* I feel like we've made a breakthrough.

Don't get all teary eyed on me. LOL! We simply agree how the game should play under either interpretation. Truthfully, I don't think we ever disagreed on that.
If you play with double duty then yes your interprets would work and VICE VERSA
Opps bad wording...LOL!

I just don't think there is a double duty and you do. Who will win the die roll (bet it's tied.)

I tracked down Rowland and Pinder. Whether they answer my mail or even agree to answer questions is another matter!
"EMPIRE IN ARMS! YE GODS MAN THAT WAS 1983!!!!!"

SNAKE

soapyfrog -> (6/11/2003 4:15:56 AM)

[B]I tracked down Rowland and Pinder. Whether they answer my mail or even agree to answer questions is another matter! [/B][/QUOTE]
Cool... I play WiFFE extensively, and seeing as the rules for JUST the final edition (not counting the 5 preceding versions of the game) have gone through 7 major and a few minor revisions, many changes adjusting rules clarity or eliminating/changing things that were awkward, I must conclude ADG's dedication to supporting their products post release is nothing short of legendary, IMHO.

It makes me think that had EiA remained in ADG property these last tw decades, we would probably not be having this argument now! (probably some OTHER argument instead :D )

On the other hand he's a super busy guy so it's a toss up if he responds with a clear cut decision on a game he has not worked on in a very very looong time (I am assuming).

John Umber -> (7/7/2003 6:08:59 PM)

I am at a loss.

Good that you worked this out, but something I must ask the two of you. If the TU player has a feudal corp in a province. Doesn't he control the city? Does this mean TU cannot conquer any minor countries without the use of the regular corps?

Or is this just garrisson arguments?

soapyfrog -> (7/7/2003 8:51:27 PM)

In answer to your question, a Feudal (or any other) corps in a province does not control the city.

The Corps can move into the city for zero movement points during its movement step, or as a result of combat.

Once it is in the city, it controls the city (but it can be ignored by enemy corps passing through the area).

If it does not fit in the city (more factors than the garrison capacity of the city) it may not move in under any circumstances and therefore could not possibly control the city. Any other corps except Insurrection, Revolt, and Feudal corps could simply detach factors into the city, thus garrisoning it, so the issue does not come up too frequently.

John Umber -> (7/7/2003 9:08:30 PM)

[B]No controll?[/B]

So this means the feudal troops cannot take control over small provinces (cities). The must be some sort of misstake. The TU feudal troops are NOT that bad.

The control over the province must be handed over as soon as an enemy corp enter a unprotected province or minor country? Anything else is too strange...
:(

soapyfrog -> (7/7/2003 10:01:05 PM)

Feudal corps cannot take control of cities which have 1 spire (Benghazi, Tripoli) unless they disband enough factors to "fit" so as you can see it is not a common problem, but I would agree and annoying one nontheless.

IMHO its totally retarded, but hey I didn't write the game :D :D

Our group uses a "house" rule wherein corps are automatically assumed to be controlling cities in the same area (if they are allowed to) thus dispensing with the whole need to track whether a corps is in a city or not (except in the case of sieges when it is quite obvious).

If you poke around there is a rather long and involved discussion about it among the threads here :D

Capitaine -> (7/8/2003 7:02:31 AM)

Guys, what is the POINT of whether cossacks/freikorps can move into a city in an area containing an enemy corps?

Rule [B]10.1.2.2.2[/B] states that "When a cossack or freikorps end its movement in an [I]area[/I] (which includes a city) containing enemy field forces it [I]must[/I] [emphasis original] originate an attack."

So, if you TRY to move a cossack into a "vacant" city in an area containing an enemy corps, you have to attack it in the field anyway (b/c you can't attack from the city -- no besieging enemy). So the enemy corps can retreat into the city and/or fight a battle. The last unit to occupy a city doesn't control it. So why this issue? :confused:

soapyfrog -> (7/8/2003 10:13:30 AM)

Well it does say when it ENDS it's movement in an area with enemy forces it must originate an attack.

It could conceivably keep moving into the city, and therefore not END it's movement in the area and therefore not have to originate an attack...

(cossacks are allowed to keep moving when they eneter an area containing enemy forces, you see ;) )

Agian I didn't write the rules :D :D :D

Capitaine -> (7/8/2003 8:08:26 PM)

soapy, of all people, you should see this! ;)

A city is STILL "within" an area. If the cossack moves into an area, then ends its move in a city, it is STILL in the "area" within which the city is located (it's not in both; but the city is a subarea of the area). And note that 10.1.2.2.2 refers to enemy "field forces", implicitly including within the term "area" anything ANYWHERE in the area (in city, in the field, etc.).

A cossack that "ends" its movement "in a city" in an "area containing enemy [U]field[/U] forces" must, per 7.3.4 (phasing major power may move cossacks, etc., from city directly into area surrounding the city at zero movement cost), move into the field and initiate an attack (10.1.2.2.2).

So none of this slip-cossacks-into-ungarrisoned-city-in-area-containing-enemy-field-forces stuff is permissible. Unless of course they attack, win, and THEN occupy the city after combat.

Frankly, I believe the "must attack" rule for cossacks was included precisely to prevent the tactic being discussed.

soapyfrog -> (7/8/2003 8:26:33 PM)

Hey I'm not disagreeing with you. I think the problem is fixed far more conclusively using "double duty" anyway.

But to be the Devil's advocate as they say: what if you consider (as many do) that the city is actually seperate and distinct from the area?

Capitaine -> (7/8/2003 11:14:18 PM)

I think you're right that cities ARE separate from areas. However, the relationship between them still exists but in one direction only: A counter in an area "in the field" is not also "in" a city in that area; however, a counter "in" a city is still in the area where the city is situated, but it is not "in the field". So, you can have, in the same area, units in a city, units in the field, and units garrisoning a depot. All are in the same area, but in different locales within that area.

Being in the field is really the difference where cities and areas are concerned. You are always in [B]an[/B] area. The distinction comes when you determine if you are in the field, or in the city. Both city and "the field" are in the area, and a counter then is always in an area. But you cannot be in a city AND in the field simultaneously, which is what the double duty thing is all about. Not really "area vs. city", but "city vs. field". :)

soapyfrog -> (7/9/2003 2:29:21 AM)

Thats one way of looking at it! :D

YohanTM2 -> (7/9/2003 7:52:11 AM)

My brain hurts :eek:

Capitaine -> (7/9/2003 8:13:11 PM)

Think of a Venn diagram. The area is the "universe". Then there is a little circle inside the universe for "city". There is a bigger circle inside for "field". There is no overlap between "city" and "field". Inside the "field" circle is a "depot" circle.

There. Simple, [I]n'est-ce pas[/I]? ;)

John Umber -> (7/9/2003 10:21:01 PM)

Why is there a difference between the area and the field?

I thought they are pretty much the same thing...

Capitaine -> (7/10/2003 1:41:20 AM)

Actually, there isn't much of a difference, except that an "area" encompasses more than just the "field". The area encompasses both the field AND any cities. I'd say the area = field + cities; field = area - cities.

If you don't believe there's a difference between area and field, then I believe you'd be one of those wacky, zany "double duty" fanatics! :p ;)

John Umber -> (7/10/2003 12:55:44 PM)

Area versus field.

The trouble with double duty never came up on any of the games I played. I suspect this was because no one tried to bypass the logical control of the area. If you have corps in the area, you must pass them on the way to the city. Only way to do this is by battle or by ROP. I never got any cossacks burning the depot when there is corps in the area. Hmm, that could be because they are always garrissoned...

Field is in MY opinion just the battle field, where the battle is held. Area is the whole lot. Which is by the way what you are saying...
:)

The only time it was interresting was when there was a newly conquered area (Copenhagen) by the Russians and the Brittish sent troops by way of the sea. The Russians claimed the port gun should fire and the Brittish claimed there should be a garrisson in Copenhagen city proper to fire the guns... The discussion ended with Brittish troops beaching next to the city...

Capitaine -> (7/10/2003 7:45:52 PM)

Actually John, "field" means that a counter is (a) not garrisoning a city; (b) not besieged; and (c) not besieging a city. It's a meaningful distinction b/c being "in the area" could mean all of the above. A counter in the "field" IS in the area proper, but a, b and c above do not apply.

Likewise, a counter subject to a, b and c IS in the area, but isn't in the field. Again, a meaningful distinction.

"Field" situation and "city" situation. Why is this difficult to grasp? :confused:

soapyfrog -> (7/10/2003 8:06:24 PM)

Strange then that the movement rules speak only of "areas" and also briefly of "cities" in regards to detaching garrisons. It never mentions "field" during movement. Why I wonder? In FACT, in rule [B]7.3.4 MOVEMENT FORM CITIES[/B] it states that forces may move OUT of a city and INTO the surrounding AREA!

So either

1) cities are another type of "area", seperate and distinct from the area they are in (which I beleive was gdpsnake's contention, supported by [B]7.3.4[/B]), or,

2) cities are an integral part of the area as you are describing (this is my and other "double-duty" proponent's contention), but specific movement into the "city" or remaining in the "field" is simply not relevant, except where combat demands it be specified (in the event of battle or siege), and [B]7.3.4[/B] is simply a mechanism for beseiged corps to return to the area in general as opposed to the city specifically post siege.

So you are actually arguing somewhat on the double duty side, but adding a bunch of distictions and definition WRT what constitutes "area", "field", "city" and how they interact despite having no real support form the rules as written.

I would submit that:

An "Area" is the whole area incluing the city
A "City" is just the city part of the area
A "Field Combat" is a battle occuring in an area outside the city involving chit choice.
A "Limited Field Combat" is a battle encompasses the whole area including the city and involves chit choice.

And so on.

A "Field" (used in the manner you use it, i.e. detached from the word "combat" and not used to describe a specific type of battle) is something never mentioned or defined within the rules...

John Umber -> (7/10/2003 8:38:06 PM)

Somehow I just think "city" just means garrisson capacity and a fortress to defend in (with port guns).

A corp can chose to fight in the "field" or retreat to the city (if possible)...

It is funny, I never seen a discussion regarding this when playing...
Just here...

Capitaine -> (7/11/2003 6:39:39 AM)

[QUOTE]A "Field" (used in the manner you use it, i.e. detached from the word "combat" and not used to describe a specific type of battle) is something never mentioned or defined within the rules...[/QUOTE] Wrong again, soapy.

[B]16.0 GLOSSARY[/B]

[B]Field Forces --[/B] Land forces excluding guerillas (unless attacking) [I]not in[/I] a city or port.

So much for "field" not being in the rules. Also see rule 10.1.2.2.2. Soapy, when you go about making scathing denials and pronouncements, it might help if you actually read the rules and did some research, rather than just talk off the top of your head. At least I cite to rule provisions. I don't "invent" terms, concepts ("double duty", e.g.) or rules in general. Some do. :rolleyes:

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI