Thoughts for World at War (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe

johnvmcnichols1973 -> Thoughts for World at War (11/1/2018 4:50:51 PM)

I love the game. Im sure the World game is almost done anyway, but Ive always searched for that perfect game, replayability, historical real vs. ridiculous unreal, scale etc. I find this game is one of the best ive played. Grigsby's War in The East is prob the best, in terms of everything Ive wanted, but it doesnt come in a full European game like this one, or a world one. Anyway, there are some things I would hope improve or have a wish for:

1. Air Units. Should be stackable (I know the game series doesnt do stacking but hear me out). I have attacked air units with strong armor formations and its still there. Someone once said, this shows the WHOLE unit, ground support, mechanics etc fighting back. Yeah right. Have the unit take damage and immediately retreat. Or stack them so they arent holding territory.

2. Submarines. The axis goes crazy with these things. Ive had opponents build these things en masse and wipe out my whole allied navy. My destroyers will be at level 1 or 2 ASW and have little impact. Anyone been in a sub? Destroyers and depth charges were feared. A lot. ASW helped the Allies to victory in real life. Maybe tweak the dynamics. Subs do get to dive and hide and they get unrealistically strong in this game.

3. Artillery. Again with useless counters. The game is a Div/Corps/Army level simulation (and Div is pushing it). Why have a counter dedicated to artillery? Cant it be a perk? A stackable one? Same with AA and Anti Tank.

4. Captured territory. I was once able to capture several cities, ports etc with my Italian allies (yeah its true) while taking over Yugoslavia. In fact, it was the Italian troops that marched into the capitol. Why not reward minor countries for capturing key targets? Or have a system of land/lease whereas Germany can send MP's to minors? I owuld like to see a game where I can beef up Italy or Hungary to make better troops.

5. Mechanized Units. Mech units that arent mobile. Come on. Charge me more and give the unit some extra mobility. Otherwise, whats the use? Seems like another useless unit. Why have unit counters that players ignore because the game becomes so scripted to not use them. Thers no strategy in it.

6. Partisans. They are like surprise shock troops. You cant produce enough units as Axis to prevent a partisan unit from occupying some city and it takes 3-4 units and several turns to get it out. Partisans hampered Axis supply no doubt. But maybe script it to deduct points from supply if the Axis doesnt garrison certain areas enough? But these units start moving around with ZERO hinderance and act as corps level units. Seems too much. (yeah I know I can turn it off)

Anyway. Just rambling. Im not as technically proficient with modding, so I havent given that a go. Just my thoughts

Goodmongo -> RE: Thoughts for World at War (11/1/2018 7:25:54 PM)

For partisans I've never had an issue. Garrisons followed by cavalry troops, followed by minor corps that aren't upgraded do it for me. You end up with way more than HQ's can supply so it's not an issue. I seldom have a partisan unit ever appear against me.

Christolos -> RE: Thoughts for World at War (11/2/2018 11:11:50 PM)

Same here for partisans. Just pay attention to where they are to appear, and zap them with Goodmongos's recipe. [;)]

C

Dorky8 -> RE: Thoughts for World at War (11/3/2018 7:55:40 PM)

I agree with you JohnV on the subs. With how important Naval war will be in the global game subs will need be changed. In the European game they are a pain in the global game the subs would unrealistically dominate.

Elessar2 -> RE: Thoughts for World at War (11/4/2018 3:49:42 PM)

I hope we finally get admirals. I know (having to attach them to a ship) that it would break the one unit one hex rule, but we really do need to correct that imbalance. Other naval innovations would be welcome as well.

Ktonos -> RE: Thoughts for World at War (11/5/2018 3:29:30 PM)

I think it won't be better than SC3.
SC3 hits that sweet spot were it is as largest possible all the while it is as compact as it can be. It covers the heart of the grounds where WW2 was fought on whilst it gives opponents room to make maneuvers and play the operational game. The scale of SC4 is so big that I think the intensity of each front will wither. A glimpse on the screenshots only reinforces this feeling for me; Lets take Sicily. In SC3 there are 5 towns/cities in Sicily. Opponents can end up having a whole mini-war/front there with space to make moves and get countered. In SC4 there are 2 cities and maybe less than half the hexes to move in. In practice whoever projects more power will get Sicily within a turn or maybe two.

In other words, the game gets bigger but the heart of the conflict, Europe Russia and Africa, will get smaller.

ThunderLizard11 -> RE: Thoughts for World at War (11/5/2018 10:45:22 PM)

Agree about Partisans - especially Yugoslavia - but you can deactivate in the Advanced settings/scripts.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI