Successful mid/late game Allied play? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War

timolang63 -> Successful mid/late game Allied play? (1/24/2019 1:50:20 PM)

While have only played two games into 1942 (3rd game is in Apr 41), am having trouble understanding how the Allies can win. Early on it's particularly hard on Britain, as they have to build units, conduct research and hold the Middle East. The same applies to Russia and (to a lesser extent) the US when they enter the war -- the combination of research, replacements and new unit mmp costs (and the cost of transport/amphibs) restricts Allied capabilities in '41-42 before production/industrial research kicks in. If your lucky Russia and China can hold (more or less), but can't go on the offensive until infantry 2 -- which takes a while.

I've had some success against the Japanese (2-3 marines, ships and carriers can take an island group once it is isolated) but Europe is another story.

Once the Axis are held (wherever that is), then how do the Allies successfully counter-attack in Europe? In both games I've either destroyed (or lost) five Allied invasions of France & Italy. I've tried landing with full HQs too. I have managed to take islands - like Sicily or Crete, but once on the mainland, it's just turn out the lights. Maybe it's just bad luck, but the combination of a research race against Germany and the expense of building up an Army strong enough to land in Europe just seems beyond me so far.

Any advice?

Robert24 -> RE: Successful mid/late game Allied play? (1/25/2019 5:37:53 AM)

Hi,
I don't invade Italy - too narrow and farther away from the center of Germany.
I'd make sure you don't loose Egypt and then if you are ready in '43 invade France.
Of course most of your air and naval forces will have to be in or around England to support.
If you feel '43 is too soon, wait till '44.
-Robert

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI