Just curious (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815

Chiteng -> Just curious (6/19/2003 4:42:45 AM)

Doesnt an Insurrection Corp force a battle when it is deployed?
I thought that an enemy unit moves into the area(eg Tyrolia)
and the Ins Corps is deployed, and an immedite battle is fought.

I thought that was the whole point to the INS corp.?

soapyfrog -> (6/19/2003 5:02:31 AM)

No but it does force whatever was moving into the area to stop and fight in the combat phase.

Le Tondu -> Please... (6/19/2003 7:35:51 AM)

Would someone who knows please tell me.

Do all nations get these "Insurrection Corps?"

Are they the same as other units?

I mean wasn't Austria the only nation to have them?

Also, the Austrians never really concentrated their Isurrectio forces enough to have them be labeled a "Corps." They were mostly spread out guarding the Austrian frontier and at most a division in size.

They were incredibly poor militarily speaking and were almost never used by themselves. (They wouldn't hang around long enough to even fight the French in such a situation.)

How can they be anything more than just a tiny inconsequential "speed bump" in this game?

Am I wrong here? Please, someone tell me.

Thanks in advance. :)

ABP -> (6/19/2003 12:33:40 PM)

I don't know what the Austrian insurection corps/force was like in reallity, but in game life it is a corps, although a weak one. As I recall it is made up of millitia forces. The main use as I see it is to 1: Stop and fight very small forces, like a turkish feudal corps with a few factors or 2: cut of the supply of larger formations once they have stopped movement.
How this is handled in the PBEM mode I'm not sure.
And yes it is only Austria that have this type.

Bill_L. -> Re: Please... (6/19/2003 5:04:42 PM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Le Tondu

Do all nations get these "Insurrection Corps?"
No, only Austria has Insurrection Corps. Two of them with 15 militia and 3 cavalry factors in each corps.

Are they the same as other units?
They have the special ability of being raised during the movement phase of an enemy in the province where a corps of a nation at war with Austria enters a border province where they can be placed. They are restricted to those border provinces. They don't have to be placed in the *same* area as the enemy corps, just in that same province. Each enemy corps entering the province functions as the trigger to place it, so they don't have to be placed at first opportunity.

How can they be anything more than just a tiny inconsequential "speed bump" in this game?
Lets say that Mack is in Trieste with a guard corps and an infantry corps and a French infantry corps led by Davout enters the area. The Austrian player now has the option of raising one or both of the Insurrection Corps thus adding up to 30 militia and 6 cavalry factors to the possible 5 guard, 15 infantry and 3 cavalry that might already be present. A useful addition of numbers don't you think? Although it would reduce the morale from 3.6 to 2.9 for the ensuing combat, though the mountains reducing the casualty factor for the French would make up for that drop somewhat. Of course the combat would occur after all movement by the French player is complete.

Changes are going to have to be made to the board game rules because of the computer format, I'm sure the beta-testers will find a happy medium for them.
:)

Le Tondu -> Thanks (6/19/2003 8:51:10 PM)

Thanks to Bill_L. and ABP for the explanation.

Supervisor -> (6/21/2003 5:26:58 AM)

The Insurrection Corps in the game is used to cut supply, the Austrain Player (the only MP in the game with the Ins. Corps) has the ability to place the Ins Corps within the specified provinces on any enemy movement into that province. Since in the Land Phase Corps move seperately and one space at a time (usually the only time when people actually follow this rule except for supply counting, which enhances the game speed thankfully :) ) So if the Turkish player is moving into Austria-Hungary and moves one in, then two in and then the Austrian Player pops up the Ins. Corps right behind the newly moved Turkish corps, the turkish corps' supply chain has just become a little longer, or too long, depending. This really slows Turkey's movement thru Austria and allows the Austrian player the ability to reinforce the Ins Corps with other corps who are usually across the country fighting France. The Ins. Corps. (if used properly) are a great help to the Austrian Player. :)

ps. The Ins Corps can be used for combat immediately, but why would anyone want to do that? This would, in effect, go against the benefits of having the Ins. Corps, becuase they have such a low morale and are better used for slowing the Turks down and rapidly cutting supply lines. However, this again depends on your strategy and the game YOU are playing. :)

Capitaine -> Here we go again... (6/22/2003 8:26:24 AM)

[QUOTE]ps. The Ins Corps can be used for combat immediately, but why would anyone want to do that? [/QUOTE] It does not say this ANYWHERE. They may be placed in the enemy movement phase, and ALL they do is cause the moving counter's movement "to cease" if they are placed in an area containing an enemy corps (not cossacks, etc.). [B]10.1.4.1.1[/B]. That does not force "immediate combat" b/c there is no provision in the rules for that. Combat takes place normally in the combat phase, which means the IC's must be placed with the knowledge that if not on the last move of the last counter of the enemy, a different combat situation could result depending upon further moves.

Do people really routinely "blur" the movement and combat phases in this game? :confused:

Supervisor -> Re: Here we go again... (6/22/2003 1:02:50 PM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Capitaine
[B]It does not say this ANYWHERE. They may be placed in the enemy movement phase, and ALL they do is cause the moving counter's movement "to cease" if they are placed in an area containing an enemy corps (not cossacks, etc.). [B]10.1.4.1.1[/B]. That does not force "immediate combat" b/c there is no provision in the rules for that. Combat takes place normally in the combat phase, which means the IC's must be placed with the knowledge that if not on the last move of the last counter of the enemy, a different combat situation could result depending upon further moves.

Do people really routinely "blur" the movement and combat phases in this game? :confused: [/B][/QUOTE]

Excuse me, let me rephrase, as I am aware of the rule. When I posted "immediate combat" I meant that the enemy unit most cease movement and participate in combat in the combat phase. I thought this was a given, but apparently not. Sorry. :)

Chiteng -> (6/22/2003 5:30:59 PM)

My original post was phrased as a question. I didnt assert it as a given.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI