And now for something completely different... (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Scenario Design and Modding

mroyer -> And now for something completely different... (2/7/2019 11:10:41 AM)

And now for something completely different...

BELLUM GALAXIA

A while ago, I set out to do a 1937 to 1939 Sino-Japanese Confict campaign ( http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4450188&mpage=1&key=War%2CResistance� ). I built up a nice map of China and embarked on the campaign itself. As I worked to add flavor and effect to the scenario, it became painfully clear to me that I would need to have a far better understanding of scripting, AI, the game engine and how the subtler interplay of those elements unfolded and affected each other.

So, as a pedigogical effort to help get a better, more indepth understanding I decided to push the limits of the game engine. This might help me understand just what is and isn't possible and give a clearer understanding of the interactions of the various parts of the engine. With that, I figured what could push the engine more than taking the game intended for historical simulation in exactly the opposite direction - to the far future.

Thus was born the Bellum Galaxia project. At first I was just tinkering to see what I could accomplish. As time went, the effort took on a life of it's own and momentum pushed my own interest to see if I could get something so radical going. I've made a LOT of progress and many things seem to be working well. Yet, there is a ton of work in front of me. So much, indeed, I'm not sure if I'll ever finish.

But, nevertheless, I figured I'd share what I've done and how it looks so far. Perhaps some of the historical minded folks here also have a penchant for the future history too and will be interested in what I've done.

[image]local://upfiles/53808/DB41B5D4280A48539CF71274798AEEB5.jpg[/image]

mroyer -> RE: And now for something completely different... (2/7/2019 11:13:19 AM)

2.1. Timeline
2030-2120: Global warming causes significant continental distortion from sea rise, violent storms, earthquakes and tectonic plate destabilization.
2045: First permanent settlement on Mars established
2046: First permanent settlement on the moon (Luna) established
2048: Luna terraforming project begins
2055: Mars terraforming projects begin
2075: Mining colonies of the asteroids started
2077: Project Venus – stripping of 75% of it’s atmosphere before terraforming can begin
2078: Theoretical mathematics has been worked out for interstellar jump points – massively complex, high-precision computations are required to predict jump point locations.
2085: Venus terraforming project started
2087: First permanent Venus settlement established
2105: The Apocalypse – nuclear holocaust on planet Earth and Luna nearly ends life on those worlds
2111: Accurate jump point between Sol and Alpha Centauri calculated with 98.7% confidence and first jump expedition is funded. Jump point calculations to other stars begin to accelerate to approximately one per year (but at this early time most have low confidence levels).
2113: First jump expedition is launched to and successfully returns from Alpha Centauri
2117: First permanent settlement established on Alpha Centauri world of Rigel Kantaris
2125: 1st Terran Empire established to control all of human space (Solar system and Alpha Centauri system at that time) with the aim of preventing a repeat of the The Apocalypse.
2135-2200: First period of interstellar expansion and colonialization.
2190: The Second Apocalypse – The 1st Terran Empire collapses from conflict and mutual destruction between the Solar System and nearby colonies (Beta Hydri and Alpha Centauri)
2200-2330: Dark ages – loss of interstellar communications. Local civilizations re-develop and re-build civilization and technologies independently of each other.
2330: Discovery of old technology texts on Earth along with new research re-establishes jump point capability.
2335-2390: Re-discovery – human worlds relink. A series of minor political and trade conflicts occur. With the lead in old and new technology, Earth is able to dominate interstellar community – politically and economically.
2409: The 2nd Terran Empire is established with capital seat on Earth.
2420-2475: Second period of interstellar expansion and colonization. General level of high prosperity and trade throughout human space.
2470-2490: A period of corruption erodes the empire as periphery worlds break away. The empire is unable or unwilling to slow the decay.
2499: The Armageddon – The 2nd Terran Empire is defeated as it’s star armada is destroyed near the L4 Lagrange point of Jupiter by a confederation of independent worlds led by Tau Ceti.
2523: SETI (Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) discovers low-level, electro-magnetic transmissions in patterns that suggest an extra-terrestrial civilization somewhere in the direction of the galactic core.
2525: Bellum Galaxia – the war to establish 3rd Terran Empire begins.

2.2. Backstory
From global warming, two apocalypses and an Armageddon, the earthly continents have become nearly unrecognizable.
After searching for nearly half of a millennium, SETI has finally detected electro-magnetic transmissions that many believe are the signature of an extra-terrestrial civilization. To date, the transmissions have not been successfully translated nor even confirmed that the source is intelligent life.
Nevertheless, in the wake of the discovery on Earth and throughout the Solar System, political, social and religious movements are calling for the immediate and swift establishment of a 3rd Terran Empire to once again bring all the worlds of human space under a unified political structure so that humanity presents a singular, consistent voice of strength to any extraterrestrial civilization. In their view, it is critical to establish the 3rd empire prior to first-contact with the alien civilization.

2.3. Tau Ceti Confederation of Independent Worlds
Counter movements throughout human space reject the notion of yet another Terran controlled empire. Elements of this movement have coalesced, especially in outer star systems. In particular, the Tau worlds of the Tau Ceti System have formulated the establishment of a Tau Confederation of Independent Worlds for the purpose of resisting domination by the Terrans. Twice before unification under Terran leadership has led to massive and widespread misery and destruction followed by dark ages throughout human space. That must be prevented from ever happening again; a remote possibility of first-contact with an alien civilization is merely a thin excuse to re-establish Terran hegemony.

2.4. Other Resistance Groups
The Tau led opposition to Terran hegemony is a moderate movement designed to hold the Terran efforts at bay and maintain the current status quo of economic prosperity throughout human space. There exists, however, more extreme versions of the anti-Terran movement in isolated pockets of remote worlds. This form of resistance envisions a total reversal to utter destruction of the Terran home worlds (and in some versions all worlds of the Solar System) to save all future generations from any risk of another Terrain Empire.
These radicalized groups are generally small, underfunded and largely isolated from one another. The undercurrent attitude that they embody, however, could cause any particular group to swell at an unpredictable moment.

[image]local://upfiles/53808/DEA4B7D19CCA4771AADF336A1E01DF69.jpg[/image]

mroyer -> RE: And now for something completely different... (2/7/2019 11:15:03 AM)

Earth

[image]local://upfiles/53808/1C9D83D364254619A5B802F0C0264BAF.jpg[/image]

mroyer -> RE: And now for something completely different... (2/7/2019 11:21:00 AM)

Earth Luna

[image]local://upfiles/53808/20838124BC3E41D58C4F96AF5B102F5D.jpg[/image]

mroyer -> RE: And now for something completely different... (2/7/2019 11:21:37 AM)

War Map

[image]local://upfiles/53808/A5615E23E1654669BF90E4A724AE4CC6.jpg[/image]

mroyer -> RE: And now for something completely different... (2/7/2019 11:22:09 AM)

Research

[image]local://upfiles/53808/AF16D7128FD846F8ADE19E6A27AA877D.jpg[/image]

mroyer -> RE: And now for something completely different... (2/7/2019 11:25:05 AM)

Asteroid Belt and jump point to Beta Hydri Star System

[image]local://upfiles/53808/3C619183FC9540EF810A243561085936.jpg[/image]

mroyer -> RE: And now for something completely different... (2/7/2019 11:25:41 AM)

Tau Ceti

[image]local://upfiles/53808/A6FE173FDAB441F7BAC0D81045E1A596.jpg[/image]

mroyer -> RE: And now for something completely different... (2/7/2019 11:34:47 AM)

Venus

[image]local://upfiles/53808/1E97F534A6344936B86A4819D64C5FB0.jpg[/image]

mroyer -> RE: And now for something completely different... (2/7/2019 11:35:35 AM)

Purchase

[image]local://upfiles/53808/69833CC86E0343C5B88768241F186F0C.jpg[/image]

mroyer -> RE: And now for something completely different... (2/7/2019 11:36:13 AM)

Diplomacy

[image]local://upfiles/53808/4E126BF9872C4C098AFE351E79871C2B.jpg[/image]

mroyer -> RE: And now for something completely different... (2/7/2019 11:36:51 AM)

Choose Sides

[image]local://upfiles/53808/C5468E7168854299BB21C62CD21A776C.jpg[/image]

nnason -> RE: And now for something completely different... (2/7/2019 11:57:39 AM)

This looks interesting and I applaud the effort. Is this planned to be a mod that can be PBEM?

mroyer -> RE: And now for something completely different... (2/7/2019 12:06:27 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: nnason

This looks interesting and I applaud the effort. Is this planned to be a mod that can be PBEM?

I don't have an specific plan in mind. The reality is, it takes such a huge amount of time to build and script a campaign from the ground up, I'm not sure I will even be able to finish it - it's like a having second full-time job, and that's not enough.

Perhaps, if others are interested in helping script stuff and whatnot, it might happen. In the meantime, I'll keep plodding along learning how the game engine works :)

It's quite a testament to the power of this game engine that I've even been able to get this far. Giant kudos to the developers.

-Mark R.

Photonred -> RE: And now for something completely different... (2/7/2019 12:10:41 PM)

I think I'm in love

nnason -> RE: And now for something completely different... (2/7/2019 4:09:00 PM)

I suggest PBEM only. Would be a lot less work. And contact developers they might have suggestions.

I am to busy right now to take on a helping hand. ARE THERE OTHERS OUT THERE WHO MIGHT BE INTERETED IN HELPING?

mroyer -> RE: And now for something completely different... (2/7/2019 4:48:31 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: nnason

I suggest PBEM only. Would be a lot less work.

Why is PBEM only a lot less work? Because there isn't any AI and so no AI scripting?
Or are you thinking of something else beyond that?

-Mark R.

SIPRES -> RE: And now for something completely different... (2/8/2019 3:48:00 PM)

Superb work, I really like your tiles graphics for the planets.
Keep going that direction, It will be I am sure a very interesting campaign

nnason -> RE: And now for something completely different... (2/8/2019 4:08:53 PM)

I think AI programing would require a huge amount of programming and a lot of play testing to see if got right.

BillRunacre -> RE: And now for something completely different... (2/9/2019 4:43:46 PM)

That looks seriously impressive! [&o] [:)]

Hairog -> RE: And now for something completely different... (2/10/2019 12:45:53 AM)

oH WOW,I can't imagine how time consuming this is...wait, I can. Very good mroyer.

errant904 -> RE: And now for something completely different... (7/6/2019 7:34:59 PM)

This looks incredible! I've been bugging Hubert for years for a space version of SC. Bill gave me the link for this, and I would love to play this!

mroyer -> RE: And now for something completely different... (9/6/2019 2:24:59 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: errant904

This looks incredible! I've been bugging Hubert for years for a space version of SC. Bill gave me the link for this, and I would love to play this!

Thanks, and yeah me too. I'm getting close to something I think might be play-testable and interesting.
-Mark R.

steevodeevo -> RE: And now for something completely different... (9/8/2019 2:34:22 PM)

Incredible, sorry just to fully understand, is this intended ever to have an AI side for single play ore is that virtually impossible and/or or impractical?

mroyer -> RE: And now for something completely different... (9/8/2019 10:48:11 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: steevodeevo

Incredible, sorry just to fully understand, is this intended ever to have an AI side for single play ore is that virtually impossible and/or or impractical?

Well, I have no idea whether it's impossible or impractical to implement a full, competitive AI script-set, but it is certainly far beyond my ability and knowledge. I'll be thrilled if I can get a fun player-v-player game going.

Right now, my biggest problem is the game kinda' drags in the early turns as the interstellar diplomacy takes shape and military build up occurs. Unlike the WW2 games, there is no face-to-face combat right off the bat. I'm trying to figure out creative ways to help those early turns.

-Mark R.

BillRunacre -> RE: And now for something completely different... (9/9/2019 4:38:18 PM)

Could there be a little skirmish somewhere to maintain interest in the first few turns while the diplomacy takes shape?

A bit like the conquest of Poland in WWII games, although it doesn't necessarily have to be an easy walk over.

mroyer -> RE: And now for something completely different... (9/10/2019 3:11:06 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BillRunacre

Could there be a little skirmish somewhere to maintain interest in the first few turns while the diplomacy takes shape?

A bit like the conquest of Poland in WWII games, although it doesn't necessarily have to be an easy walk over.

[:)]
Exactly where I was headed --> the Sapien Brotherhood of Beta Hydri B rise up to support their ancestral home world against the heathen governments of the far-flung stars... The Terran Empire must triumph over all human worlds to insure the survival of mankind in the galactic future.

... or something like that...

I've been slowly writing up stick-figure story-line backgrounds that might then be translated into interesting scripted decision trees. For example:

6.2. Sapien Brotherhood
This pro-humanity movement threads together pockets of political thought that considers homo-sapien humanity superior to all other species, terrestrial or extraterrestrial. Sapiens tend to be highly religious and draw their superiority convictions from divine providence. Sapien organizations tend to seek a reunification of human order under the birth world of Earth, often in the form of another Terran Empire. They also view possible non-human, extraterrestrial intelligence as a fundamental threat to divine providence that must be extinguished before it can infiltrate human space and distort human culture and religion.

6.3. Astra-49 Movements
The Astra-49 Movements are a thread of interrelated political organizations that span human space. Astra-49 advocates the concept of “The Unification” or the uniting the 49 stars of human space under one political entity. The Astra-49 Movements do not specifically support the formation of a Terran Empire, but instead seek The Unification on any terms. In the current political climate, a Terran Empire appears most likely to achieve the goal of the Astra-49. Thus, there is strong, defacto support for Terra within the Astra-49 Movements.
The local movements of the Astra-49 are largely less militant than the Sapien Brotherhood and typically attempt to infiltrate governments by political means employing both overt and covert political tactics.
While occasional partisan activity claiming connections to Astra-49 can erupt in localized areas, the movement generally frowns on violent methods. The Astra-49 Movements expressly disavow connection to the Sapien Brotherhood and condemn the brotherhood’s overtly violent means. That said, elements of Astra-49 will heartily engage in aggressive action when necessary.
Conflict has even been known to erupt between Astra-49 and the Sapiens when elements of the two movements have come into contact.

BillRunacre -> RE: And now for something completely different... (9/10/2019 4:26:18 PM)

That's the thing! [:)]

mroyer -> RE: And now for something completely different... (9/15/2019 4:04:33 AM)

I just can't seem to get decision events to fire in the latest version of War in Europe (perhaps since the <<Tag>> stuff came into effect?).

In any event (pun intended), the following is a simple example that I expected would fire right away, but it never does. Any thoughts on why?

;========================================================================
; Sapien Brotherhood becomes Belligerant
;========================================================================
{
#NAME= DE 101 - Terra: Support to Sapien Brotherhood? (AI - 100% Yes)
#POPUP=
#MESSAGE= Shall we support the Sapien Brotherhood?%N%NYes or No.
#IMAGE=
#SOUND=
#FLAG= 1
#TYPE= 0
#AI= 0
#LEVEL= 0
#GV= 1[1,100]
#LINK= 0[0]
#COUNTRY_ID= 1
#TRIGGER= 100
#DISPLAY_ORDER= 1
; Set decision value
#DECISION= 101
#MPP_UPDOWN= -10
#MPP_TURNS= 10
#MPP_TEXT=
#NOTES=
#NOTES_POSITION= 341,60
#AI_RESPONSE= 100
#AI_RESPONSE_POPUP=
#DATE= 2525/01/01
#TEXT_RGB= 0,0,0
#SHADOW_RGB= 0,0,0
; New York is in Terran hands and Terra is not surrendered
#ALIGNMENT_POSITION= 184,54 [1]
;Set National Morale Trigger (dummy value)
#NATIONAL_MORALE_TRIGGER= 0 [0]
; 1st Line - Terra politically aligned with Terran Empire and not surrendered
#VARIABLE_CONDITION= 1 [1] [100] [0]
; Prompus is in Sapien hands and Sapien are at least 25% Terran leaning
#VARIABLE_CONDITION= 53 [1] [25] [0]
; Dummy condition position (always satisfied)
#CONDITION_POSITION= 0,0 [0,0] [0,0] [0] [0]
}

Thanks for any help,
-Mark R.

BiteNibbleChomp -> RE: And now for something completely different... (9/15/2019 11:28:21 AM)

Maybe it is because the #POPUP line is blank?

I haven't tried editing decisions in SC3, but in SC2 a blank #POPUP line designated a dummy event that could fire in the background but wouldn't be visible to the player. Of course, #MESSAGE didn't exist in SC2 so something might have changed there.

You could also try setting #TYPE=1 (assuming this still means 'fire once all conditions are true, one time only'). I've used that for every decision event I've written and it works fine.

Also worth checking that Nation 53 actually starts 25% leaning towards Side 1 (and that 53 is the right one). In my most recent (yet unannounced but will be once its finished) project, I have screwed this up more times than I'd like to admit.

- BNC

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI