Rule the Waves 2 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

Red2112 -> Rule the Waves 2 (4/19/2019 2:32:51 PM)

Official release date to be next week! April 25, 2019 [:)]

Source:
http://nws-online.proboards.com/thread/1445/rule-waves-2-developers-journal?page=2

Ahoy!

Red

GaryChildress -> RE: Rule the Waves 2 (4/19/2019 2:47:52 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Red2112

Official release date to be next week! April 25, 2019 [:)]

Source:
http://nws-online.proboards.com/thread/1445/rule-waves-2-developers-journal?page=2

Ahoy!

Red

One of my favs! Definitely looking forward to the release. More info can be found all over their RTW2 forum!

http://nws-online.proboards.com/board/27/rule-waves-2

GaryChildress -> RE: Rule the Waves 2 (4/19/2019 2:49:05 PM)

BTW, RTW2 will be introducing aircraft carriers into the game dynamics. Should be AWESOME!

wodin -> RE: Rule the Waves 2 (4/19/2019 6:50:46 PM)

Will hopefully review this once released.

Developer blog has me very excited.

IslandInland -> RE: Rule the Waves 2 (4/19/2019 11:39:46 PM)

I'm looking forward to RTW 2. RTW is a great game.

Rising-Sun -> RE: Rule the Waves 2 (4/20/2019 7:19:20 AM)

Looking forward to it too, hopefully for the Pacific Campaign.

RFalvo69 -> RE: Rule the Waves 2 (4/22/2019 3:01:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: GaryChildress

BTW, RTW2 will be introducing aircraft carriers into the game dynamics. Should be AWESOME!

Back in the day (2015?) I had a email exchange with the programmers re “how to manage aircraft carriers” in RTW. My suggestion was to take a leaf from HPS’ Midway 42, and its excellent reconstruction of air operations in real time (from turning into the wind to spotting, to circle while the squadron was forming, to attack and/or interception, up to landing... maybe at the wrong moment, when the carrier was about to very urgently spot another wave...) I’m curious to see what they did in the end.

Meanwhile, a YT video that shows Midway 42 and why I hope it was a source of inspirations:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4dWKP7GWkuo

Matto -> RE: Rule the Waves 2 (4/23/2019 10:25:17 AM)

Release is postponed to May 17th ...

Anachro -> RE: Rule the Waves 2 (4/23/2019 6:14:14 PM)

A shame.

76mm -> RE: Rule the Waves 2 (4/24/2019 3:08:55 AM)

I'd buy this game in a second if they had a "sandbox mode" to allow you to play battles without a campaign, but without it don't think so. Will definitely keep an eye on it though!

GaryChildress -> RE: Rule the Waves 2 (4/24/2019 3:42:14 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm

I'd buy this game in a second if they had a "sandbox mode" to allow you to play battles without a campaign, but without it don't think so. Will definitely keep an eye on it though!

I believe RTW uses the same combat system as Steam and Iron which I think has individual battles you can fight. However, I'm not 100% sure on all that because I don't own SaI. However, you can check it out here to see if the game is something you would be interested in:

http://nws-online.proboards.com/board/4/steam-iron-sai

Aurelian -> RE: Rule the Waves 2 (4/24/2019 10:02:29 AM)

quote:

Then you want Steam and Iron.

RFalvo69 -> RE: Rule the Waves 2 (4/24/2019 2:40:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matto

Release is postponed to May 17th ...

Pity. I was about to mail my check [:(]

Blond_Knight -> RE: Rule the Waves 2 (4/24/2019 3:13:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: RFalvo69

Back in the day (2015?) I had a email exchange with the programmers re “how to manage aircraft carriers” in RTW. My suggestion was to take a leaf from HPS’ Midway 42, and its excellent reconstruction of air operations in real time (from turning into the wind to spotting, to circle while the squadron was forming, to attack and/or interception, up to landing... maybe at the wrong moment, when the carrier was about to very urgently spot another wave...) I’m curious to see what they did in the end.

Meanwhile, a YT video that shows Midway 42 and why I hope it was a source of inspirations:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4dWKP7GWkuo

quote:

Back in the day (2015?) I had a email exchange with the programmers re “how to manage aircraft carriers” in RTW. My suggestion was to take a leaf from HPS’ Midway 42, and its excellent reconstruction of air operations in real time (from turning into the wind to spotting, to circle while the squadron was forming, to attack and/or interception, up to landing... maybe at the wrong moment, when the carrier was about to very urgently spot another wave...) I’m curious to see what they did in the end. Meanwhile, a YT video that shows Midway 42 and why I hope it was a source of inspirations: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4dWKP7GWkuo

I play-tested HPS Midway. I thought it was a lot of fun and showed how critical management was in air battles.

RFalvo69 -> RE: Rule the Waves 2 (4/24/2019 4:55:27 PM)

Midway 42 is literally nail-biting... When you know that the enemy strike is inbound and you are behind the “arm, spot, turn into the wind, launch” cycle you just feel what people like Spruance or Nagumo felt...

...impotence.

76mm -> RE: Rule the Waves 2 (4/24/2019 6:28:38 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

Is a WWII version in the works? If so then you're probably right...

Aurelian -> RE: Rule the Waves 2 (4/24/2019 9:02:09 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

Is a WWII version in the works? If so then you're probably right...

Not that I know of. But you always play the old Action Stations! in a browser.

Red2112 -> RE: Rule the Waves 2 (5/15/2019 1:21:48 PM)

Demo available in the link below...
http://nws-online.proboards.com/thread/2002/rtw2-demo-download-link-live

Release date Friday 17th. [:)]

Red

wodin -> RE: Rule the Waves 2 (5/20/2019 1:16:38 PM)

This is a great game. I'm not even a naval warfare can either.

I do wish though they had a campaign start date of start of WW2. That way see aircraft carriers sooner.

Or mini campaigns say the Pacific War.

demyansk -> RE: Rule the Waves 2 (5/20/2019 9:43:42 PM)

Great, a demo to try, love it, will try

Question,

Is this a difficult game to play?

Oh man, opened the demo and had no clue on what to do

wodin -> RE: Rule the Waves 2 (5/21/2019 2:50:15 AM)

Steam and Iron with campaign expansion is alot easier for a newbie. I find RTW 1 and 2 much harder to understand. Still not sure I know what I'm doing.

Must admit if they had done a Steam and Iron 2 WW2 game I'd have much preferred that to be honest.

quote:

ORIGINAL: demyansk

Question,

Red2112 -> RE: Rule the Waves 2 (5/21/2019 8:02:21 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: demyansk

Question,

Here ya go...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjrfEQ7N67g

Part two follows in side bar.

Red

Infierno -> RE: Rule the Waves 2 (5/21/2019 8:51:19 PM)

Fantastic game but for the life of me I can't figure out how to do the tactical battles properly. If there's not a clear objective to accomplish aside from "sink the enemy ships", then I find myself just drifting around trying to find enemies, until I'm told the enemy fleet left and given an inexplicable Major Defeat.

I'm loving the grand strategy layer, and mechanically I enjoy the tactical battles. Maybe I should try the 1920 starting campaign.

GaryChildress -> RE: Rule the Waves 2 (5/22/2019 2:13:16 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Infierno

Fantastic game but for the life of me I can't figure out how to do the tactical battles properly. If there's not a clear objective to accomplish aside from "sink the enemy ships", then I find myself just drifting around trying to find enemies, until I'm told the enemy fleet left and given an inexplicable Major Defeat.

I'm loving the grand strategy layer, and mechanically I enjoy the tactical battles. Maybe I should try the 1920 starting campaign.

Basically for the fleet battles, you're in it until either the time runs out or either you or the enemy retreat. For cruiser actions, I usually try to find out if the enemy ship is tougher and better gunned than mine or not. If they are bigger and tougher I retreat as best I can, if not I go in for the kill (reason why I like to design ships with good speed at the sacrifice of armor and firepower, if I find myself in a match up with a weaker enemy, the speed comes in handy, likewise if they are tougher.).

RFalvo69 -> RE: Rule the Waves 2 (5/22/2019 2:42:06 AM)

If someone is uncertain about his role in this game (half-designer/half diplomat/half admiral/half...) I have a book to suggest:

Crisis in the Mediterranean: Naval Competition and Great Power Politics, 1904-1914
https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B00H6UOI32/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is basically a long AAR covering the years before WWI (and no further: it stops when the war begins). There is everything: tech research, internal political maneuvering, and the need to respect budgets while delivering the best possible ships - all of this in the fluid situation of the Inner Sea at the beginning of the XX Century. It helped me a lot both as a reference when I learned the ropes of RTW1 and a way to clear my mind about an unusual situation for a wargamer to find himself in. I can't recommend it enough.

Infierno -> RE: Rule the Waves 2 (5/22/2019 3:55:00 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: GaryChildress

quote:

ORIGINAL: Infierno

Basically for the fleet battles, you're in it until either the time runs out or either you or the enemy retreat. For cruiser actions, I usually try to find out if the enemy ship is tougher and better gunned than mine or not. If they are bigger and tougher I retreat as best I can, if not I go in for the kill (reason why I like to design ships with good speed at the sacrifice of armor and firepower, if I find myself in a match up with a weaker enemy, the speed comes in handy, likewise if they are tougher.).

Thanks a lot, I appreciate this!

76mm -> RE: Rule the Waves 2 (5/22/2019 2:50:06 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin
Must admit if they had done a Steam and Iron 2 WW2 game I'd have much preferred that to be honest.

Me too, hopefully this is on their shortlist. I find it really surprising that there are not any recent/contemporary WWII naval games at the tactical level (similar to CMANO).

demyansk -> RE: Rule the Waves 2 (5/22/2019 11:11:54 PM)

I tried the game but it needs a tutorial

nukkxx5058 -> RE: Rule the Waves 2 (10/7/2021 12:06:37 AM)

a) Do they plan multiplayer (pbem or other) in the future ?

b) Can't find their official forum. Any idea where they hid it ?

WYBaugh -> RE: Rule the Waves 2 (10/7/2021 12:24:56 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: nukkxx5058

a) Do they plan multiplayer (pbem or other) in the future ?

b) Can't find their official forum. Any idea where they hid it ?

https://nws-online.proboards.com/board/27/rule-waves-2

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI