Zooming, Map Movement and UI Issue (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support

Freigeist83 -> Zooming, Map Movement and UI Issue (4/28/2019 1:28:34 AM)

Hey,

I installed Command v 1.15 via Steam on my laptop.

Unfortunately, the forum software won't allow me to post my computer specification (numbers) or any links as a new user.

Now the game loads pretty quick, but I encounter the following problems:

- It takes around 3 seconds to zoom in and out of the map
- It takes up to 5 seconds to change the map location
- The interface menu sometimes does not react

This is a bit annoying and having watched many CMANO YouTube videos, I have never seen any zooming or menu problems like that.

I have already followed all recommendations in the Steam setup guide but still face the same problems.

Is this a bug or is my hardware not sufficient?

Can this be fixed?

Thanks for your feedback.

RoryAndersonCDT -> RE: Zooming, Map Movement and UI Issue (4/28/2019 2:33:37 AM)

Command can run well on pretty low spec computers. It sounds like something is interfering with Command, or an extremely high DPI screen.

Please try these steps:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4190908
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3913597
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3913579
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3954156

And please let us know if anything above works for you

Freigeist83 -> RE: Zooming, Map Movement and UI Issue (4/28/2019 5:25:13 PM)

Thanks for your quick feedback and appreciate that you are taking the time.

I tried the recommendations and the menu seems to be stable now at a dpi of 100%.

However, the zooming and map scrolling issue still remains. It takes around 3 seconds or longer to zoom in and out.

The interesting thing is that I tested the game on an older laptop with weaker hardware (Intel i5, onboard graphics) and the mouse zoom is really fast. So I cannot imagine that this is a hardware problem.

My laptop is not even a year old and has the following specs:

- Windows 8.1 Pro, 64 bit
- Geforce 940MX at Full HD
- 12 GB RAM
- Intel i7
- 120 GB SSD

Even when I reduce my display resolution to a minimum, I have the same zooming problem.

Any idea how to fix this?

RoryAndersonCDT -> RE: Zooming, Map Movement and UI Issue (4/28/2019 6:04:17 PM)

Certainly a good computer that shouldn't have 3 second lag.

Sometimes there is software that puts an 'overlay' on top of videogames, and this interferes with our rendering pipeline. Steam overlay, Raptr and other software akin to this can cause slowdowns.

You mentioned you already looked at this, but just in case I'll link it here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1374061499

Zanthra -> RE: Zooming, Map Movement and UI Issue (4/28/2019 6:50:39 PM)

Can you try running a 3D video game in windowed mode In the background? This could force the CPU and GPU into higher performance modes, as they might not recognize CMANO as an application that requires it, and laptops are sometimes very aggressive about keeping power usage low. If the performance does improve there are some ways to set up GPU profiles to instruct the computer to go to high performance mode when the program is running, but opening another game in the background is a quick and easy way to test.

Dimitris -> RE: Zooming, Map Movement and UI Issue (4/28/2019 7:15:10 PM)

3 seconds is definitely outside the norm.

Can you try Process Lasso (https://bitsum.com/) and let us know.

Freigeist83 -> RE: Zooming, Map Movement and UI Issue (4/28/2019 8:21:54 PM)

Yes, I have disabled all the Steam overlays etc. as suggested in the Steam tutorial.

In the Nvidia Control Panel I had previously also created two profiles to use the "High-Performance Nvidia processor" and set the power management to maximum performance as suggested for the following files:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Command Modern Air Naval Operations\Command.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Command Modern Air Naval Operations\GameMenu_CMANO\autorun.exe

I have installed Process Lasso and taken a screenshot while running the first flight tutorial basic training directly after zooming in with the same 3 second delay.

As a new user the forum does not allow me to share the screenshot link for 7 days, so I will try to explain the result for the CMANO related processes:

autorun.exe -> CPU avg. 0.11% / Threads 19 / Memory private bytes 22,188 K / Handles 491
Command.exe -> CPU avg. 12.85% / Threads 38 / Memory private bytes 475,760 K / Handles 1087

Overall CPU use: 44% time, 43% utility, Responsiveness 100%, RAM 16% of 12 GB

Thanks for your feedback.

Zanthra -> RE: Zooming, Map Movement and UI Issue (4/28/2019 9:15:50 PM)

Between 44% overall CPU usage, and 12.85% of Comamnd, there is something using another 30% CPU usage. Unless I don't entirely understand how CPU Lasso makes those calculations. Can you tell what else is using large amounts of CPU time?

Freigeist83 -> RE: Zooming, Map Movement and UI Issue (4/28/2019 10:18:50 PM)

Overall CPU usage fluctuates between 45 and 25%.

svchost.exe seems to eat a lot (around 25%) and Chrome browser adds the rest.

I have also tried to run Steam offline but get the same result: zooming and map dragging are a pain.

Disabling the high-fidelity mode does not help either. [&:]

Might this be a bug as reported by user nukkxx5058 under the topic "Delay when zooming/scrolling"?

Zanthra -> RE: Zooming, Map Movement and UI Issue (4/29/2019 12:02:36 AM)

You have another laptop that had less system specs but runs the game fine, which indicates that it's a problem specific to the hardware or software of the computer you are on. As far as software goes, svchost.exe should not be using that much CPU usage, it should not be using any more than around 1% of your cpu regularly. While your CPU may have extra cores to spare, other shared resources like memory bandwidth can be more limited.

svchost is a executable wrapper for dll services, and so it could be one of many services using the CPU, you should be able to right click the svchost.exe with high CPU usage in the process list in task manager, and select "go to services" to see which ones are running on that executable. The most common culprit for high CPU usage is wuauserv, or "Windows Update Service" in the services list in the Task Manager.

Freigeist83 -> RE: Zooming, Map Movement and UI Issue (4/29/2019 7:01:51 PM)

Task Manager is listing the following 12 processes for "Service Host: Local System":

- Windows Update
- Windows Management Instrumentation
- Themes
- Shell Hardware Detection
- System Event Notification Service
- Task Scheduler
- User Profile Service
- Server
- IP Helper
- Group Policy Client
- Background Intelligent Transfer Service
- Application Information

I have stopped "Windows Update", which reduces the svchost.exe average to 2% and the overall CPU is fluctuating between 1-3%.

I then restarted CMANO with the first flight tutorial and get the same problem: zooming in and out has a 3 second delay.

For me this seems to be a software issue. The game seems to be catered towards older hardware and does not work well with modern CPU / GPU architectures.

I was really excited about this game, but after so many hours trying to set everything up, I am considering a refund as this
is not playable for me in this way. [:(]

I would appreciate any last recommendations how this could be fixed before making a final decision.

Thanks.

Zanthra -> RE: Zooming, Map Movement and UI Issue (4/29/2019 8:56:48 PM)

I can't really see how you would write software catered to older hardware that would not run at least as fast on newer hardware. Even if my aging i7-980X from 2010 and GTX 980 would be old hardware, my friends i7-8700K from late 2017 and GTX 1080 would not, and he had no trouble. There are sometimes compatibility issues with newer hardware, but driver updates usually fix those, so do make sure your drivers are up to date. Laptops have also gotten much more aggressive with power savings, as the computers want to be reluctant to move into higher power modes for things like web video or javascript, as those can drain the battery very quickly. I know someone who had a laptop they would watch twich videos on, but it would only play smooth when he had Heathstone running, as soon as the game was closed, the stream would start stuttering badly. Of course it seemed like nonsense to him that having his computer sharing the resources between hearthstone and the stream would make the stream work, but dedicating the entire computer to the stream would not. It's sometimes difficult to verify that the proper GPU is active in the proper performance level while a given program is running even with profiles, but having a game you know runs fast running at the same time as you have Command running slow will more definitively rule that out.

As for options ingame, the only thing I can think of is in game options, under "Map Display", there is "Map Cursor Databox Visibility". I have seen cases where available memory bandwidth is low, this can cause all sorts of problems when enabled. Try setting it to "Do not show" and see if that improves anything. The databox update is triggered on mouse movement, and can starve other processing of resources.

I would also consider running the Windows Update Troubleshooter, as if windows update service has been spinning in the background, it may have been unable to install performance and compatibility patches and driver updates that it would have been able to deliver if it had not bugged out.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027322/windows-update-troubleshooter

Actually I would recommend running the Windows Update Troubleshooter and trying to resovle the issue with the Windows Update Service no matter what, since that problem may be preventing you from receiving critical security updates. Regardless of any connection to the performance of CMANO.

I do hope you find a solution, I know how frustrating computer problems can be.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI