Braveheart, the Patriot, now becomes a GRUNT! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

Wild Bill -> Braveheart, the Patriot, now becomes a GRUNT! (6/22/2001 4:25:00 AM)

Was anyone aware that the old Aussie, Mel Gibson, is now involved in shooting a new movie "We Were Soldiers" taken from the book by retired Colonel Harold Moore on the Battle of the Ia Drang, Vietnam, 1965? In fact, the old Mad Max plays Colonel Moore in the movie. Sure it is Hollywood! So what! I enjoyed Braveheart and the Patriot. It's about time for a good Nam Movie. We've had SPR, TRL, and now PH. The last good Nam movie I can remember was Hamburger Hill and that was over 10 years ago. Bring it on Hollywood. The Battle of the Ia Drang was one of the most important battles of the Vietnam War. There are many reasons for saying this. THe principal one was that it set the tone for a war that could not be won...a war of attrition, that of inflicting many more losses on the enemy than we suffered ourselves. The Communist side lost heavily. During Tet alone, they had as many soldiers killed (VC and NVA) as we had in the entire war, over 58,000. Sadly, with over 30,000 a year becoming of age to fight, it was indeed a war that could not be won, at least not with the thousands of restrictions placed upon the Allied combatants. But that is another theme for discussion. I'm ready for "We Were Soldiers!" Wild Bill

Figmo -> (6/22/2001 8:32:00 AM)

Sounds Great Bill - looking forward to it!! I think he was great in one of his first rolls "Galipolli" as the guy that becomes a runner and trys to stop the useless charge. It really shows how young men can go to war looking for glory and end up dead - a great war and anti-war movie. Figmo

Alby -> (6/22/2001 9:52:00 AM)

Hamburger Hill? Ill take "platoon", or "Full metal jacket", over that one, hehheh Ever see "the siege of firebase gloria"? Its got the DI from full metal jacket in it, pretty decent.

Randy -> (6/22/2001 10:12:00 AM)

Great info WB! I think that it is good that Hollywood is making military movies again. People need to know about the sacrifices our troops have had to endure to have the freedom we have today. Don't forget later this fall I think the movie "Blachawk Down" will be out! Semper Fi Randy

Alby -> (6/22/2001 10:15:00 AM)

Also dont forget "windtalkers" about the navajo code talkers used by the marines, in ww2

BruceAZ -> (6/22/2001 10:34:00 AM)

quote:

Originally posted by Alby: Also dont forget "windtalkers" about the navajo code talkers used by the marines, in ww2
I was up near Window Rock, Arizona and saw some of the movie set equipment. They must be shooting some background scenes up there. Its a big deal for the people on the Navajo Nation as the Codetalkers are generally worshipped by all Navajos as their greatest 20th Century achievment. Bruce Semper Fi

Tombstone -> (6/22/2001 11:02:00 AM)

Ia Drang 65... that's 1st Air Cav right? Isn't that also the first fire-test of the airmobile concept? Crazy stuff... Tomo

D A Sharp -> (6/22/2001 11:25:00 AM)

Mel and crew were filming at Ft Hunter-Liggett California this past month while I was going through my MOS reclass course. It seemed strange to me that the filmmakers wanted to film in very hilly brown California oak savanah. Oh well. Sam Elliot who is playing the CSM in the film is a real stand up guy, he picked up the bar tab on our six hour pre-graduation festivities. Wish I'd had more real CSMs like him!

Sscott1879 -> (6/22/2001 1:04:00 PM)

My mom called me from Kansas (to Louisiana) to tell me that Gibson was playing Col. Moore. Why? When I was in grade school, along with the starting lineup of the N.O. Saints, I had all of the 1st Cav. lineup (battalion COs and up) on my bedroom wall. Hal Moore was one of my childhood heroes and I'm exited as hell that they're making a movie about the Ia Drang. I just hope the movie portrays those men as the heroes they are. Go 1st Team, This we will defend!!!

Wild Bill -> (6/22/2001 1:05:00 PM)

Indeed! He seems to be a very approachable person. California, huh? Well, it was mountainous terrain, not much jungle so that might be ideal. Air Cav is right, battle of the Ia Drang, actually in five parts. The Battle to be portrayed is the fourth part of that campaign, known as "Silver Bayonet." You can find the Sgt of Full Metal Jacket also in Apocalypse Now (yes, a brief glimpse as a helicopter pilot)and the movie about Nam Medics and doctors called, "Purple Heart." Some other interesting Nam Movies: 84 Charlie Mopic The Iron Triangle Remember the Spartans The Anderson Platoon Purple Heart Green Berets Frankie's House A Bright Shining Lie And so on, and so on ;) Wild Bill

Flashfyre -> (6/22/2001 1:26:00 PM)

Don't forget "Bat-21" or "Flight of the Intruder". Intruder a good show on Navy air ops.

Randy -> (6/22/2001 11:11:00 PM)

I think the first Nam movie about the US was "Yank in Vietnam". That was in th eearly 60s. I guess I'm dating myself!! Semper Fi Randy

Dan Bozza -> (6/22/2001 11:45:00 PM)

quote:

Originally posted by Flashfyre: Don't forget "Bat-21" or "Flight of the Intruder". Intruder a good show on Navy air ops.
"Flight of the Intruder" is a great flick - the A-6 rules!! :D

Wild Bill -> (6/23/2001 12:50:00 AM)

Yes indeed. I do have those. They are great ones. Thanks. ALso Hanoi Hilton is a great one to add to the airwar of the Nam. Wild Bill

mcbradley -> (6/23/2001 2:18:00 AM)

How about "The Boys in Company C"? c. 1980?. Kinda depicted the grunts life (and death) amid the crazyness that was Viet Nam. Or am I getting my flicks mixed up? After reading WB's list, its hard to realize that there have actually been that many VN movies made. Bradley

Rick Borovec -> (6/23/2001 3:39:00 AM)

Wild Bill Sounds like some good war movies coming out. Adding those to your already impressive collection make me a bit jealous, I have just started collecting. One movie I always look for but have never seen in that last 10 years is The Young Warriors, with James Drury(the Virginian), late 60's early 70's, do you know the one I mean? Boro

Wild Bill -> (6/23/2001 4:13:00 AM)

"The Boys in Company C," of course. I have that one too. It was one of the first to show the darker side of the conflict. I have heard of it Boro, but for the life of me I can't remember anything about it. I don't have it in my collection. "The Deer Hunter" is another one I have (Robert DeNiro, Chris Walken)and did not mention. Also should have mentioned "Casualties of War (Sean Penn, Michael J. Fox) and Vietnam War Stories (a series of nine one hour episodes produced by HBO in the 80s.) And who could forget the Nam series on TV for three years, "Tour of Duty?" I have nearly all of those episodes. Some others dealing peripherally with Nam include Coming Home (a very negative approach to the war - with Jane Fonda in it, what else would you expect?), and Gardens of Stone (James Caan). I will see if we can find it somewhere. Is it a Nam movie? Can anyone think of any others we might have missed? Wild Bill

jwarrenw13 -> (6/23/2001 4:26:00 AM)

"The Boys in Company C." I had not thought about that one for a while, and it seems to have disappeared from view. I don't recall much about it, except that I was in Walter Reed Army Medical Center in DC in 79 and wheeled my roommate down to the hospital theater to see it. He was a Vietnam vet. He commented that it was realistic. It was just about the last time he left his room. He died of liver cancer a couple of weeks later.

Rick Borovec -> (6/23/2001 4:53:00 AM)

Wild Bill No, it was a WWII movie. Familier story about a tough sargent(Drury) and a bunch of new recruits. Ending with the now experinced recruit taking the wounded sargents role with the next batch of raw recruits. Another I'd like to see again is "663 Squadron", a flyers movie again set in WWII. About the only VN series not mentioned yet is the 10,000 Day War series that you can still catch on History Channel. Boro

Alby -> (6/23/2001 7:10:00 AM)

quote:

Originally posted by JW: "The Boys in Company C." I had not thought about that one for a while, and it seems to have disappeared from view. I don't recall much about it, except that I was in Walter Reed Army Medical Center in DC in 79 and wheeled my roommate down to the hospital theater to see it. .
Remember, the Kid stepped on mine, and they all heard it click, and the sarge, told the rest of the platoon to spread out ,foregt about him coz "that man is a dead man"

Hauptmann6 -> (6/23/2001 7:12:00 AM)

Tour of Duty... I knew I wasn't imagining that!!! I remembered watching it as a kid when I went to the neibors house that had a TV(we didn't have electricity). BTW does anyone know if there are any episodes of that show floating around on the net? Big downloads don't worry me... hehe Haupt

Alby -> (6/23/2001 8:29:00 AM)

quote:

Originally posted by Hauptmann6: Tour of Duty... I knew I wasn't imagining that!!! I remembered watching it as a kid when I went to the neibors house that had a TV(we didn't have electricity). BTW does anyone know if there are any episodes of that show floating around on the net? Big downloads don't worry me... hehe They still show it on TNT I believe, one day a week, may be saturday or sunday, ive watched it recently tho. Haupt
Tour of duty is still on TV, Ive watched it recently, I think ON TNT, but not sure when and what time. [ June 23, 2001: Message edited by: Alby ] [ June 23, 2001: Message edited by: Alby ]

Randy -> (6/23/2001 11:17:00 AM)

Tour of Duty was a really good TV show. You had the new Lt. the gung ho kid, the seasoned Sgt, and the rest were guys just doing their tour of duty for their nation. Semper Fi Randy

Randy -> (6/23/2001 11:20:00 AM)

Hey, Mel Gibson has quite a war record: Scot fighting the Brits, American fighting the Brits, Aussie fighting the Turks, and now an American again fighting the NVA. He must have a serious collection of campaign ribbons!! Semper Fi Randy

m10bob -> (6/23/2001 11:32:00 AM)

How many of us are vets of Vietnam?..see,i am,and i have no interest..whole damn library,1 book on nam..but "buku" (bou coup) on WW2...(Platoon" was about as "real" for that war as i've seen)...I have this theory that vets are all amatuer historians with a real fear the kids today just don't give a damn,'cuz "what we don't learn from we are doomed to repeat"(etc.) :mad:

NateD -> (6/23/2001 2:29:00 PM)

I'm not a VNVet but my dad was over there from fall of 67 until spring of 70. He was with MACV. I think because of that, I've read almost every book I've ever come across on the subject. I watch every movie that comes out about. The whole thing has me captivated. BTW, "Tour of Duty" is on TNT on Saturdays around noon. I think they show 2-3 shows during the day on Saturday. [ June 23, 2001: Message edited by: NateD ]

Wild Bill -> (6/23/2001 6:20:00 PM)

I can readily understand your feelings M10. On the other hand, I think knowledge of the Vietnam War is vital to those who came along afterward. (The war was over 30 years ago!) I was a little too old to go. The Army did not want me. Married with four kids at 27 made it impossible for me. Friends did go. Some did not return. I would thank you for your service to our country and what you had to endure. We can learn from it, but only if we know about it. The sacrifice of so many fine young men should not be ignored or forgotten. Wild Bill

jwarrenw13 -> (6/23/2001 10:49:00 PM)

I enlisted for the Army in July, 1973. (I had just lost a scholarship after two years of college due to excessive partying. I returned two years later w/an ROTC scholarship and finished w/honors. I learned my lesson.) It was in that strange not-quite-post Vietnam era. The drill sergeants at Ft. Polk were in the process of converting our training from Vietnam-type training to European-type. It was clear some of this (for example, the squad wedge formation) was new to them. I remember one saying that in the old days he would have taught us to take a hill by going single file up the wooded ravines at night, but now we were supposed to go up the more open ridgelines in wedge formation in daylight. The drill sergeants had also been ordered not to teach us the Vietnam-era "jody calls," but when they got us away from the cantonment area, they did. Some were really neat ("Vietna-a-a-a-am, Vietna-a-a-a-am. Late at night while you're sleeping, Charlie Cong comes a creeping arou-ou-ou-ound. Vietnam.")

m10bob -> (6/24/2001 12:11:00 AM)

We were never defeated on the ground in any sizable battle..technology was not always on our side.(the micro-management of bird colonels flying directly over our positions and giving orders from overhead literally served to show the enemy our *exact* positions....anything by Col David Hackworth is a must read if you want to see real history from the perspective of a guy who worked up from private to "0-6",Korea to vietnam..(indeed,he was the model for the character played by brando in apocolypse now(most decorated soldier of Nam)..pentogon did and still hates his guts because he tried to show what mcnamara finally "fessed up to" in *his* book..my generation was dusted by the liars in D.C. who had contempt for the gallant grunt(officers included)..thank god we did learn from a few of our mistakes and the gulf war was fought more like mcarthur (cut 'em off,starve 'em,kill 'em),least friendly casualties in modern times....Hamburger Hill was just the opposite..civil war,(or ww one tactics,"walk into the machine guns,boys!")...the grunts in nam had espirit and pretty much knew they were "on their own"..a popular song of the 1st(air)cav in the late 60's,to the tune of "the m.t.a.".....did you ever hear the story of the cong named charlie on that tragic and fateful day,put 10 rounds in his pocket,kissed his wife goodbye,and went off to fight the u.s.a....but did he ever return? no,he never returned,and his fate is still unlearned..he's must run those trackless jungles,he's the cong who never returned.......now you folks down round AN KHE way,are'nt you glad the 1st cav came to stay? he must run those trackless jungles,the cong who shall never return.....(end)...now,history..the V.C. ceased to exist at TET 1968..the vc were the communist "south vietnamese"..the north vietnamese realized the war would be over eventually,and they needed to get rid of all those "southern" loudmouths..the north always followed their training and the principles of their trainers.(same folks who "camped out" during the warsaw ghetto uprising and could have marched into warsaw to save the ghetto-not bias,just cold hard fact..the regime at the time....)..after tet,every major "enemy unit encountered was an NVA "regular"(no foolishness here,they were "REAL" soldiers,fully equipped like an army and in some areas had TANKS)....My respect and desire to maintain the memory of my dad's generation,"THE GREATEST GENERATION",is that i have learned a single bullet is all that matters on the battlefield,and all the planes and tanks in the world,with TECHNOLOGY can only help to deliver that bullet,and that the troops of ww2 were in that conflict,unwillingly,after being forced into it,by governmental evil and madmen who would conquer th world (if they had been allowed)..thank God they were not allowed....yes,the Vietnam war Must be studied,and remembered,but not as something "glorious" nor "gallant",but as an example of how NOT to conduct wars..NO WAR CAN BE FOUGHT TO A CONCLUSION UNLESS THE COMBATANT IS *WILLING* TO WIN..the Americans were led by a regime(or series of regimes who only wanted to force the commies out by financial attrition....unfortunately,their "nuts" were never in the fire............I love my country and just do not want to see that happen again...i am a hawk with an olive branch in one hand,(like on our money)....you can have the soapbox back,sir,i'm finished......bob ;)

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI