Vietnam 1965-1968 supply woes (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV

Shuffler -> Vietnam 1965-1968 supply woes (7/26/2019 11:53:51 AM)

I'm having fun playing this scenario as the Free World side, but am having difficulty managing supply and unit readiness.

Many areas I seem to be fighting are in overextended supply situations as the only supply sources are some provincial capitals and the supply radius seems to be very small. So, for example, my units fighting near Quang Tri are severely undersupplied and unit readiness drops hugely even after only a little bit of combat.

I'm also having difficulty working out how to use the motor and riverine supply units.

Any other players have tips on how to manage overextended supply and how to use these supply units please?

Zovs -> RE: Vietnam 1965-1968 supply woes (7/26/2019 12:41:29 PM)

Greetings and welcome.

First I am not familiar with that scenario but try fist checking the Overextended Supply Threshold and see if its set.

From the (modified) Manual:

quote:

8.5.1.16. Force Overextended Supply Threshold (0-100)
A default value of 0 will not use the Overextended feature. This is the location supply level below which a location is overextended instead of supplied. See 9.1.7.1.

9.1.7.2. Overextended Supply State
There is now a new supply state that falls between “Supplied” and “Unsupplied”. It’s called “Overextended”. If used, it will allow a designer to realistically impede units from continuing to press on indefinitely at red unit-supply conditions. Units in this state will have to slow down enough to keep their unit supply levels above their desertion levels – or wither away.
• A unit is “Overextended” if it has a line of- communications to a supply point but is far enough from any supply source to be in a hex with lower location supply level than the designer-set “Overextended Supply Threshold”. For example, if that threshold were 6, then any hex with a supply level of 5 or lower would be “Overextended”.
• The default setting for the threshold is 0 – making it impossible for any hex to qualify for the new state. Therefore, only scenarios specifically edited for it will employ this feature.
• “Overextended” units receive supply normally.
• However, they also suffer desertion losses (see below) during the interturn calculations the same as if they were “Unsupplied” – except that those losses go to the “On Hand” pool, not the dead pile. To review, such losses start when the unit supply-level drops be-low (100 – unit proficiency). The percent loss per turn is scaled by turn intervals per week and by how far below the threshold they are.
• “Overextended” units only receive replacements if they are not suffering desertions (their unit supply level is above (100 – unit proficiency)).
• “Overextended” hexes have a different supply font color from the normal supply font color in the location supply display, for information purposes.

Of course, there is a point of supply delivery, below which, that assumption falls apart. That’s why the system has the new “Overextended Supply Threshold” feature. It allows the designer to set a point at which red-lined units just must stop and wait for supplies to catch up to them.

Can units run all the way out of supply in TOAW? Yes – via desertions. Desertions can represent troops abandoning the unit due to lack of food and morale. But they can also represent guns and vehicles running out of fuel and ammo and being abandoned. So, a unit that has lost all its equipment from de-sertions has, effectively, run completely out of supply. (And its strength would finally be reduced to zero). Note that desertions only occur at Unsupplied or Overextended conditions.

larryfulkerson -> RE: Vietnam 1965-1968 supply woes (8/4/2019 5:14:54 AM)

Have you tried "Campaign for South Vietnam" yet? Take a look.

Shuffler -> RE: Vietnam 1965-1968 supply woes (8/6/2019 11:50:40 AM)

Thanks I'm giving it a go at the moment. A very interesting scenario!

larryfulkerson -> RE: Vietnam 1965-1968 supply woes (8/6/2019 4:07:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shuffler
Thanks I'm giving it a go at the moment. A very interesting scenario!

Oh. Sorry, I misinterperted the title of your OP and surmised you were speaking of the scenario Vietnam 1965-1968 [ of which I happen to have a copy ]. CSV is one of my personal favorites and I'd be interested to watch the progress of your game. Can I talk you into doing an AAR?

Hellen_slith -> RE: Vietnam 1965-1968 supply woes (8/6/2019 5:18:31 PM)

Supply is an aspect of TOAW that I have struggled with muchly over the years, and I am only now beginning to realize that rail lines and airfields are essential parts of the supply net, and they need to be exploited as much as possible to maintain good supply. I hope this helps!

Shuffler -> RE: Vietnam 1965-1968 supply woes (8/6/2019 7:47:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson
Oh. Sorry, I misinterperted the title of your OP and surmised you were speaking of the scenario Vietnam 1965-1968

You were quite right - I was taking about Vietnam 1965-1968 in my opening post. I've since switched to CSV, which I prefer TBH.

sPzAbt653 -> RE: Vietnam 1965-1968 supply woes (8/6/2019 10:38:40 PM)

quote:

rail lines and airfields are essential parts of the supply net

An intact rail is almost as good as a Supply Point, but airfields have little to nothing to do with supply in TOAW.

Hellen_slith -> RE: Vietnam 1965-1968 supply woes (8/8/2019 3:36:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

quote:

rail lines and airfields are essential parts of the supply net

An intact rail is almost as good as a Supply Point, but airfields have little to nothing to do with supply in TOAW.

Ah, ok ... I was thinking about some other post that mentioned airfields and supplies (can't remember where).

That's when I started noticing that my airfields sometimes have a bit more supply in surrounding hexes than other non-airfield adjacent hexes ... maybe that is part of the air part of the game? Or I might have not seen other factors.

I only ask because you qualified a bit by saying "airfields have LITTLE TO NOTHING" to do w/ supply. Does that hint that they might have a little to do with supply, at least in some cases?

I'm not trying to be an ass, just cheerfully asking!

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI