Potentially stupid question (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

hooraysimpsons -> Potentially stupid question (8/6/2019 2:50:16 AM)

Is there anywhere/way to be notified of a task force completing its 'mission'? Eg cargo TF arrived back at home port.

I'm just getting started (turn 5), using combat reporter and tracker. However, I don't see anything notifying me that some of my TFs have arrived at their destination.

Thanks in advance

Seems like this question either has a very obvious answer or has probably been asked before. I did search the manual and forum without luck so I apologize ahead of time if this is the 65th time its been asked.

axeman109 -> RE: Potentially stupid question (8/6/2019 3:14:31 AM)

Not a stupid question. It does not have an alert that a TF completed its mission. Since you already have 2 of the tools you should get WITPTracker. This should complete the tools many people use. You can see alerts easily in it, you will see ones for unloading or loading (i think loading). For sure "arrived in port" messages. For recurring supply missions set it up and turn on computer control. It will run the mission over and over and you don't have to mess with it very often.

RangerJoe -> RE: Potentially stupid question (8/6/2019 3:15:00 AM)

To see events during the turn, check the "OP" at the top of the game screen.

The only dumb uestion is the one that hasn't been asked. The only stupid question is the one that has already been asked. Clarifying questions are not stupid unless they have already been asked, however they can be stupid if they are not asked.

BBfanboy -> RE: Potentially stupid question (8/6/2019 3:37:26 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

To see events during the turn, check the "OP" at the top of the game screen.

The only dumb uestion is the one that hasn't been asked. The only stupid question is the one that has already been asked. Clarifying questions are not stupid unless they have already been asked, however they can be stupid if they are not asked.

I have only seen the Ops Report show the arrivals of convoys at off-map bases.

CS convoys will show in the Ops Report when they begin loading.

For non CS convoys, if I want to know when a specific one reaches port I look at the hex distance showing to target when the TF starts out and divide by the number of hexes per day it travels. Then I make a note on my list of things to check to look at the arrival port on the date calculated.

Most of the time I move around the map on a standard path while doing the turn and check TFs in port.

Kull -> RE: Potentially stupid question (8/6/2019 4:10:05 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Most of the time I move around the map on a standard path while doing the turn and check TFs in port.

+1

For the Allies, I find it's pretty intuitive to just follow a Giant "U" which begins with Karachi and ends in the Aleutians, clicking on any port along the way that has TFs visible in it. It's a little more convoluted in the beginning because you have lots of ports in the middle of the map, but the Japanese soon simplify things for you!

Schorsch -> RE: Potentially stupid question (8/6/2019 5:59:39 AM)

i just open the "show all taskforces" tab and sort by "endure needed". the ones with 0 are all tfs sitting in a port

jdsrae -> RE: Potentially stupid question (8/6/2019 7:32:14 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kull

quote:

+1

For the Allies, I find it's pretty intuitive to just follow a Giant "U" which begins with Karachi and ends in the Aleutians, clicking on any port along the way that has TFs visible in it. It's a little more convoluted in the beginning because you have lots of ports in the middle of the map, but the Japanese soon simplify things for you!

Interesting order Kull, as a Texan I would expect you to start closer to home!
Same outcome, but I start at PH because that’s where the screen starts, then go NorPac and around clockwise.
Then I check the Ops report for anything interesting that I might have missed.
Except if I’ve had a few beers, then I get distracted by something shiny and forget where I got up to and have to start all over again, then I look at the clock and it’s 1am...

RangerJoe -> RE: Potentially stupid question (8/6/2019 11:20:19 AM)

quote:

i just open the "show all taskforces" tab and sort by "endure needed". the ones with 0 are all tfs sitting in a port

To be honest, I never thought of that.

quote:

Except if I’ve had a few beers, then I get distracted by something shiny and forget where I got up to and have to start all over again, then I look at the clock and it’s 1am...

She is shiny? Of course, that Aussie beer might make a difference. I have only had exported Fosters but I much prefer domestic German bier.

Kull -> RE: Potentially stupid question (8/6/2019 1:39:38 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Schorsch

Great idea, and EXACTLY the solution to the OP's question!

quote:

ORIGINAL: jdsrae

Interesting order Kull, as a Texan I would expect you to start closer to home!
Same outcome, but I start at PH because that’s where the screen starts, then go NorPac and around clockwise.
Then I check the Ops report for anything interesting that I might have missed.

LOL, I have the same problem!

It is worth noting that having a geographical progression works not just for TFs, but Air and (to a lesser degree) Land units as well. And yes, a review of the Ops report is necessary at the end, to identify anything missed in the earlier sweep. My final check is Intel, because it can clue you in to an enemy operation that needs to be countered, or at least planned for.

In the end however, "whatever works for you" is the best approach.

fcooke -> RE: Potentially stupid question (8/6/2019 3:58:12 PM)

I don't think any self-respecting Aussie drinks Fosters. Victoria bitter might be more their style.....

RangerJoe -> RE: Potentially stupid question (8/6/2019 6:15:40 PM)

That is why Foster's is here, you people won't drink it! [:(]

Zorch -> RE: Potentially stupid question (8/6/2019 7:36:18 PM)

There are no stupid questions...

*no offense intended, implied, imputed, or otherwise meant

[image]local://upfiles/34241/1FDADA59E73E4C659B9BB4B1A8DA2584.jpg[/image]

jdsrae -> RE: Potentially stupid question (8/6/2019 7:39:43 PM)

quote:

That is why Foster's is here, you people won't drink it! [:(]

Correct, it’s called Fosters Export for a reason!

hooraysimpsons -> RE: Potentially stupid question (8/6/2019 9:17:17 PM)

This (sort TFs by endurance needed) gets me most of the way there. Have to wade through some ASW/minesweeping and SCTF set to react but doable.

The TFs it misses are those set on remain on station (eg supplies one way and resources back needs to remain until I can load the resources at destination). I'll just have to search visually as well.

To clarify my OP in response to one of the replies, I am using combat reporter and witp tracker ae.

Still seems odd that there isn't a better way to be notified that a TF has completed its mission/has no orders to act on.

RangerJoe -> RE: Potentially stupid question (8/6/2019 10:45:52 PM)

quote:

Still seems odd that there isn't a better way to be notified that a TF has completed its mission/has no orders to act on.

The sailor like to have a few days in each port for I & I . . .

axeman109 -> RE: Potentially stupid question (8/7/2019 2:12:20 AM)

Nice to see the responses. The active community helps make this game great.

Macclan5 -> RE: Potentially stupid question (8/7/2019 2:26:38 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kull

quote:

+1

Good question !

To The Original Poster:

The game assumes - that you as a purchaser of such a detailed complexity war game - have a certain minimum level of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder as a core part of your personality.

Tracker / Int Monkey / Ops reports / Task Force reports as suggested by smart veteran players are all very helpful suggestions; however you should still feel the need to click into every TF unloading at port - measure the relative rate of off load per ship vis a vis ship class and Naval support - and then arrive at 13.333 unique opinions and decisions as to future deployment of said ships to move : (i) supplies (ii) troops (iii) upgrade (iv) aircraft

[8D]

Kull and BBFanboy evidently have almost identical levels of OCD as I do. We may be related though I have no family in El Paso nor Winnipeg (although have visited both wonderful places a number of times)

RangerJoe -> RE: Potentially stupid question (8/7/2019 7:46:50 PM)

I prefer to say OCB (Obsessive Compulsive Behavior) rather than OCD since it may at times be a virtue . . .

Gridley380 -> RE: Potentially stupid question (8/7/2019 8:28:55 PM)

I don't have OCD, I have CDO - I put the letters in the right order!

Zorch -> RE: Potentially stupid question (8/8/2019 12:16:51 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gridley380

When I'm hungry, it's COD.

RangerJoe -> RE: Potentially stupid question (8/8/2019 1:01:34 AM)

quote:

quote:

Carrier On deck Delivery? That is some expensive takeout . . .

Zorch -> RE: Potentially stupid question (8/8/2019 3:36:45 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Carrier On deck Delivery? That is some expensive takeout . . .

When you absolutely, positively have to have it.

I was thinking of the fish cod. [:D]

RangerJoe -> RE: Potentially stupid question (8/8/2019 5:50:49 PM)

Oh, codfish. What the Scandinavians process with a poison to make fish boards . . .

Which they then boil and eat . . .

geofflambert -> RE: Potentially stupid question (8/8/2019 8:24:28 PM)

I don't know about the Scands, but Finnan Hadi is the worst thing I've ever been in the same room with.

RangerJoe -> RE: Potentially stupid question (8/8/2019 8:40:18 PM)

Lutefisk is not the worst think that they make. The Norwegians make ratfisk:

quote:

Norwegian fish dish made from trout or sometimes char, salted and fermented for two to three months, or even up to a year, then eaten without cooking.
It is not recommended that rakfisk be eaten by pregnant women or people with an impaired immune system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakfisk

Not to mention Swedish Surströmming.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surstr%C3%B6mming

Zorch -> RE: Potentially stupid question (8/8/2019 10:46:10 PM)

Thanks, I'll stick to cod. On my carrier deck or not.

tarkalak -> RE: Potentially stupid question (8/9/2019 9:12:29 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: hooraysimpsons

This (sort TFs by endurance needed) gets me most of the way there. Have to wade through some ASW/minesweeping and SCTF set to react but doable.

The TFs it misses are those set on remain on station (eg supplies one way and resources back needs to remain until I can load the resources at destination). I'll just have to search visually as well.

To clarify my OP in response to one of the replies, I am using combat reporter and witp tracker ae.

There is an option to tell them to take resources for the return trip automatically. I remember reading it in the manual, but not how it actually worked.

Hákarl (Icelandic pronunciation: ​[ˈhauːkʰartl̥]

Hákarl, full name: kæstur hákarl; referred to as fermented shark or rotten shark in English) is a national dish of Iceland consisting of a Greenland shark or other sleeper shark which has been cured with a particular fermentation process and hung to dry for four to five months. Fermented shark has a strong ammonia-rich smell and fishy taste.

The meat of the Greenland shark is poisonous when fresh, due to a high content of urea and trimethylamine oxide, but may be consumed after being processed.

Schorsch -> RE: Potentially stupid question (8/9/2019 9:38:38 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: tarkalak

quote:

ORIGINAL: hooraysimpsons

There is an option to tell them to take resources for the return trip automatically. I remember reading it in the manual, but not how it actually worked.

this only works with computer controlled auto-tfs (CS:xxx) iirc (someone correct me if its wrong, im at work currently)

there is no way to quickly find a tf sitting in a port that is not its homeport (on "remain on station")
theres not a lot of reasons to do it this way anyways, and in the rare cases you have do it (collecting troops in early game for example), useing pen and paper shouldnt be too hard ;)

Trugrit -> RE: Potentially stupid question (8/9/2019 1:50:51 PM)

True. There is automatic and manual. Automatic is done by the game engine, manual by the player.

There is not an easy way. You can use the task force screen to sort by location and then pull up a task force
and use the bottom button to quickly scroll through the task forces in the hex and see their home ports.

As regards this thread,the Task Force screen is more flexible than some new players realize.
It can give you a number of ways to look at your task forces.

The first screen shot below shows the Task Force Screen.
By turning off the All TF button and turning on the Transport button you can see just the transport task forces.

By clicking on the Mission you can sort by transport type.
You can see that there are six cargo task forces displayed.
The Location shows you what they are doing.

Task Forces 1,2,3 are moving to Bundaberg. They have remain on station orders.
Text says Bundaberg, move to.

Task Forces 4 and 19 are at Noumea. There are different text indications.
Task Force 4 has remain on station at sea in the hex.
Task Force 19 is docked at Noumea. That why it just says Noumea.

Task Force 5 is standing off Noumea in hex 114,161. The text says near to 114,161.
There are several reasons why you may want to stand off from a port.

One is tactical, it gives you another chance to examine the port conditions before you go in.
(So if you have some heavy radar onboard and the port is a size 1 you have a final chance to stop the unload)

Another reason is that you want to use the Task force Screen to see if your task force is very near it’s destination.

Second screen shot shows that Task Forces 2 and 3 are at Bundaberg.
Task Force 3 is docked.
Task force 2 is at sea in the hex.

Task force 1 is standing off the port. I changed it’s orders.

[image]local://upfiles/49386/A0F483C69B794EE9B642EA7DFC5EACC6.jpg[/image]

HansBolter -> RE: Potentially stupid question (8/9/2019 3:14:26 PM)

The best way is to stop looking for an easy way and man up and examine every last port you are are sending ships to and from every turn.

There is no substitute for diligence.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI