RE: Swiss Battalion TO&E circa 1980's (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios

winkelried -> RE: Swiss Battalion TO&E circa 1980's (10/5/2019 10:11:22 PM)

quote:

I guess organized as regiments?

yes.

quote:

SO the panzerabwehr companies of the infantry regiments of the Grenz brigades were probably still 105mm RCL?

I am not sure if they were organized in the Gz Rgt (border regiments - which where +/- infantry regiments). The border troops were static and relied on fortifications where they had quite a few 9 cm PaK 50 and 9 cm PaK 50/57. AFIK the never had the recoilless. The 9 cm Pak was pretty effective between 600 and 800m and the fortifications made good use of the often rugged and forested terrain in the border areas.

They also had their 12 cm mortars organized in fortresses. So probably the organization of the individual Gz Rgt and Gz Bat were pretty different depending on the fortifications they relied on.

quote:

The Panzerabwehr Battalions (centurions) were also found in the Gebirgs divisions? Or were these battalions compsed of 105mm RCL?

No. The Gebirgsdivisions didn't have any armor. I am not sure if they had any specific Panzerabwehrunits (there is one listed for the Geb Div 12, but I am not sure how long this one existed.). They relied also on the terrain and the fortresses for quite a bit - with the 9cm PaK to cover the axes which would be manageable by tanks. Have a look at the war in Afghanistan in the early 80s the Mujahedin didn't have a lot of AT weapons and were still able to ambush Soviet armored columns with quite an effect in the mounaineous areas of the country. And the Geb Div had lots of destruction objects (tunnels, roads clung to the mountains, bridges ...). So they would blow up something. Then wait for the pioneers which would try to repair it and would then put these soft targets under fire with their infantry weapons, mortars and artillery. And a few hundred meters/few kilometers farther back the same story again.

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI