Nuclear tipped ARM? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series

Ancalagon451 -> Nuclear tipped ARM? (10/2/2019 12:16:46 AM)

I was just now browsing the published rules for GMT's boardgame Red Storm (title should be clue enough of what the game is about), and in the campaign book I found some late scenarios making use of Kh-28/58 (AS-9/11) tactical ARM missiles carrying "small nuclear warheads" (quoted from the book).

Based on the game effect described, the alleged warheads should be in the single kiloton range.

This is something I have never heard before, so I'm asking here if someone has ever read or seen anything about the existance of this kind of weapons.

Ancalagon

Fido81 -> RE: Nuclear tipped ARM? (10/2/2019 4:02:06 AM)

The pre-1979 database has a couple nuclear-tipped ARMs. The AS-6 Kingfish A has a couple Mods (variants) with 350 kiloton warheads.

On the US side, B-52 aircraft were equipped with the AGM-128B Hound Dog (also in the pre-1979 database) standoff missile from the early 60s through the mid 70s. Wikipedia suggests that it probably would have been used in a DEAD role (its warhead was 1.3 megatons), though it used inertial guidance. Because of the warhead size and fuzing options (which I do not think are replicated in CMANO), and its pretty substantial range (DB says 700 miles), it probably could have been used in an airfield suppression role as well.

Both of those seem like fairly strategic weapons, but I'm also in the "wrong" database for Red Storm (and additionally have questions about whether nuclear weapons use could ever be a truly tactical operation).

Cik -> RE: Nuclear tipped ARM? (10/2/2019 4:55:44 AM)

in some of the northern inferno scenario you get B-52s equipped with nuclear ARMs, the name of the weapon escapes me at the moment, though.

IIRC they are very effective, as you might imagine. the diamondback principle: "the seekerhead doesn't have to be any good- as long as i'm in the same gridsquare it is good enough."

erwinuri -> RE: Nuclear tipped ARM? (10/3/2019 2:25:17 PM)

Cik you may be speaking about the AGM-69A SRAM. It is not an ARM per se but we use it in the last episode of Northern Inferno. An AGM-69B variant was to be fielded, this one being an ARM, but never did.

Uri

Cik -> RE: Nuclear tipped ARM? (10/3/2019 4:35:21 PM)

hey, whatever works.

erwinuri -> RE: Nuclear tipped ARM? (10/11/2019 8:03:43 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cik

hey, whatever works.

Sure, a nuke is a nuke

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI