Strategic Reserves (both sides or even MMP saving) (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> The War Room

FriendlyKomissar -> Strategic Reserves (both sides or even MMP saving) (10/9/2019 6:00:32 PM)

Hello all,

Just wish to start a topic on how you all handle strategic reserves, if any?
A personal friend of mine always likes to keep several armies and units in reserve to exploit any breakthrough or to get in the way of a counter attack. I see the benefit of this as sometimes I have had him pinned on every front, do a landing somewhere usual and he's got the forces to counter it without weaking the other areas.

When I am playing as the Axis I usually commit every available unit to the front.

How do other people handle this approach? Is it worth keeping several tank units many hexes way and get ready to deploy them on a moments notice?

Also what of MMP reserves. I spent everything. Is it worth keeping some points in reserve e.g. 1000mmp to emergency buy units or whatever else.

Thoughts gentlemen. Is it worth keeping anything up ones sleeve or should you just go all in :)

El Condoro -> RE: Strategic Reserves (both sides or even MMP saving) (10/10/2019 7:48:19 AM)

I tend to spend everything, except in the following circumstances as the Axis:
- 1941 and Romania and Hungary are about to enter the war. I want their armies up to full strength and tech so as to use them against Yugoslavia, so I keep some MPPs in reserve to finance it.
- the DAK is going to be deployed in the next turn or so - I want them up and going ASAP, so store some MPPs ahead of it.
Otherwise, I am spending every MPP on research and units, usually in that order, which might not be a good idea.
Thanks for starting the thread. I am also interested in what people do with their initial techs - I see no value in keeping Rocketry for the Germans, for instance. Another thread.

The Land -> RE: Strategic Reserves (both sides or even MMP saving) (10/10/2019 9:46:11 AM)

Given how operational movement works, a true strategic reserve isn't that useful. You might as well have units on garrison duty or in operational reserve - then if the unexpected happens where they're standing, they're already deployed - and if the unexpected happens somewhere else then you can operate them out.

And you rarely gain anything by not spending MPP - unless you are saving up for something. (If you are launching an 8-unit amphib assault then it's best to launch all 8 units on the same turn, for instance, as there is less chance of the enemy spotting them and interfering... so save up the MPP rather than doing it piecemeal and leaving troops in transports at sea...)

Ktonos -> RE: Strategic Reserves (both sides or even MMP saving) (10/10/2019 10:34:06 PM)

Only period of relative ease for the axis is between post France-pre Barbarossa. As I await for lets say tank-2 and inf-2 its the only time I can afford to stockpile mpps so I can upgrade asap and dow ussr.

Regarding operational moves I agree with the Land; Nothing to gain from holding units back home. There is some use to amass units outside enemy view (usually 2 hexes from closest unit). Operating gives a hit to readiness regardless of the unit being in the front or in reserve. I'd say that as HQs tent to be in the front, frontline units will be in better readiness than those a ways back.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI