Decisive Axis Victory (at last)! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War

4100xpb -> Decisive Axis Victory (at last)! (10/11/2019 11:22:14 PM)

Finally, after four failed attempts, I beat the filthy AI allies (intermediate, no bonuses). With all of 3 turns remaining before the game would end.

General points of interest (to me at least)
- I let the AI play Japan to keep my focus on Europe and Africa. I guess that helped? Japan managed to essentially take over China, but at the expense of everything else. America was on the main Japanese islands en force at the game end.
- Finnish capture of Murmansk worked well, though I nearly lost Helsinki as a result.
- I have no idea on how to keep Italian East Africa alive. I sent the HQ, and they held out for a long time, but eventually fell. The only reason they lasted as long as they did was the AI is terrible - humans would have squashed them much earlier
- Finally found my pace for invading Russia. Previous attempts I tended to push too hard, this time I used winters to consolidate, reinforce and upgrade. I still managed to lose several units by advancing them too far, and getting them cut off
- Italy punched above their weight this game
---- Crushed the British Mediterranean fleet
---- Major force in taking Egypt
---- Re-captured Copenhagen after a short lived British assault
---- Conquered Afghanistan!
---- Perpetually under-technologied. I could never find the MPPs to invest.
- The Luftwaffe was a force of darkness, smashing all before it.
- I need to leverage the German minor powers much more.
- My eyes glassed over trying to figure out if I had sufficiently garrisoned all the Russian towns I captured. It's a right pain when one of them pops up 20 hexes behind your front lines.
- Greece never joined the Allies - ran up to 70% and stalled there.
- Turkey, however, joined in '45, in a move they quickly came to regret.
- Allied amphibious strategy is atrocious. Though the surprise invasion of Bordeaux in '43 had promise. I would definitely have had a hard time against a human
- Still not diplomacying enough. Spain remained neutral.
- German surface fleet never really ventured from port, and slowly got picked off. Subs did solid work convoy raiding, but also slowly got picked off by about '44. Allied navy was biiiiig

Overall, a lot of fun and really reinforces just how global WWII really was.

Mercutio -> RE: Decisive Axis Victory (at last)! (10/11/2019 11:54:35 PM)

Congrats! I remember my first victories as both allied and axis fondly. However I played all nations as I am in all in kind of person for better or worse.

Actually playing Japan is tougher than you might think. You really need to blitz that first few turns to take over as much as possible to get the MPPs. You need to take China AND everything else :p I learned a lot from the way the AI did it.

Remember with garrisons/partisans. You just need to be adjacent, not on it. The partisans will only appear on hexes without the circle with the line though it. Make sure you have those covered first.

Tech is very important, especially early. Falling behind will cost you more MPPs in the long run. Keep tabs on the reports to see what each nation is spending.

Play it again and see if you can do better! Have you played as allies? That will teach you their strengths and weaknesses as well.

Indeed playing a human is a whole different thing. They just don't follow the script! [:-]

Best wishes.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI