People stll playing ATG (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series

Bombur -> People stll playing ATG (10/16/2019 9:31:53 PM)

What do you think? I´m currently creating new custom units for GD1938 and considering a "secret projet" for a operational level WW2 game, however, it seems this game is currently dying. Is the effort worth? Is anyone interested in a new scenario/mod?

ernieschwitz -> RE: People stll playing ATG (10/16/2019 10:38:41 PM)

I am. :)

I once in a while look at where there is activity on the boards. As far as I can tell ATG is not the game doing worst. Pretty impressive for a game made in 2011.

ernieschwitz -> RE: People stll playing ATG (10/16/2019 10:39:56 PM)

Regarding scenario building. I do it because to me it is fun. It is a fun process. In my opinion if you don't think it is fun, don't do it.

Twotribes -> RE: People stll playing ATG (10/16/2019 10:45:47 PM)

I play this is my go to game I keep trying other games and always come back. The only other game that still attracts me is SPWAW and SPMBT. I do play an online game but that is not wargaming that is fantasy. I used to buy new games about every month or 2 and then I would play them a couple months and stop playing them, I now buy game currency for my fantasy game cause you guys keep me interested in Advanced Tactics Gold.

Wargamer40 -> RE: People stll playing ATG (10/17/2019 9:01:00 AM)

While I deeply enjoy playing ATG, I have an issue playing a game that takes FOREVER (multiple minutes) to complete each turn. If 'someone' could sort this out, I would play it oh so much more. Now I spend time between Decisive Campaigns Case Blue (can't get into Barbarossa), WITP AE and my Mac (Pillars of Eternity, Endless Space 2).

ernieschwitz -> RE: People stll playing ATG (10/17/2019 9:20:54 AM)

What scenarios are you playing Wargamer40? :)

Wargamer40 -> RE: People stll playing ATG (10/17/2019 11:16:54 AM)

ATG scenarios? Have only tried the random generated largest map with multiple AI. Time between turns gets progressively much slower.

ernieschwitz -> RE: People stll playing ATG (10/17/2019 12:44:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wargamer40

ATG scenarios? Have only tried the random generated largest map with multiple AI. Time between turns gets progressively much slower.

The game comes with quite a few Scenarios too, and if you are not satisfied with those, there are plenty in the Scenario bank, og VRDesigns homepage. The random generated games are only a small part of the game itself. As for AI Speed, not sure anything can be done about that. The bigger map, the more units, the more calculations...

Twotribes -> RE: People stll playing ATG (10/17/2019 2:59:28 PM)

I found with 2 or 3rd largest map selection 3 or 4 opponents and normal world time is less the max map but still lots of cities for fun

danlongman -> RE: People stll playing ATG (10/17/2019 4:18:12 PM)

I have never stopped playing AT/ATG and have put in thousands of hours. It is the best
random game generator these is and nothing is a versatile. If I had to throw away all
of my 2000+ games and keep one ATG would be it.
I just wish I could use the masterfiles for OOB for Bombur mods in every random situation.

Twotribes -> RE: People stll playing ATG (10/17/2019 4:27:58 PM)

There are several random game master files from Bombur.

danlongman -> RE: People stll playing ATG (10/17/2019 4:38:26 PM)

I use all the ones I can.
But I want them ALL.

Bombur -> RE: People stll playing ATG (10/18/2019 12:49:47 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ernieschwitz

Regarding scenario building. I do it because to me it is fun. It is a fun process. In my opinion if you don't think it is fun, don't do it.

Well, I like to play the scenarios I create, but I found the AI unable to deal with the lots of custom SFT´s I like to create. So it´s frustating to create a scenario that no one plays.

Twotribes -> RE: People stll playing ATG (10/18/2019 1:05:27 AM)

People play your stuff Bombur I never have a problem finding someone for GD1938 and you have at least one person in this thread TELLING you he uses your mods.

danlongman -> RE: People stll playing ATG (10/18/2019 4:11:56 AM)

I use all the stuff I can. It is my big regret
that I have not learned to use the editor more efficiently.
For quick fun I can grab and adapt something that Bombur
has made and "ernieschwitz" has helped me from time to time.
Thanks guys!

ernieschwitz -> RE: People stll playing ATG (10/18/2019 6:00:11 AM)

Thank you!

Really, just call me Ernie, I don't mind :)

altipueri -> RE: People stll playing ATG (10/18/2019 12:01:55 PM)

I fired it up two days ago for the first time for a while. Got thrashed (usual outcome). Tried harder last night - started at 8pm stopped 12 hours later at 8 am ! Geez that just one more turn thing - but 12 hours -that's what teenagers do, not old men like me. I'm knackered. And all that 12 hours effort was still a draw - good result for me but I'm exhausted.

Only Civilization 2 had this "one more turn" thing or addiction.

How does the AI build so much more than me?

altipueri -> RE: People stll playing ATG (10/18/2019 8:17:22 PM)

Victory at last. I just couldn't stop trying one mote turn this morning and another ten hours have slipped by.

This is the sort of behaviour you can engage in only when the wife is away for a couple of days. Phew, got away with it.

ernieschwitz -> RE: People stll playing ATG (10/18/2019 8:58:57 PM)

Congratulations on your victory :)

Bombur -> RE: People stll playing ATG (10/18/2019 10:55:52 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

People play your stuff Bombur I never have a problem finding someone for GD1938 and you have at least one person in this thread TELLING you he uses your mods.

-Well, good news.

CaptBeefheart -> RE: People stll playing ATG (10/21/2019 8:04:41 AM)

Yes, I fire this game up about once a month nowadays. I can highly recommend Ormand's "Four Seasons with Models Mod" here.

The strategic decision making is a lot of fun in this game.

Cheers,
CB

Vic -> RE: People stll playing ATG (10/21/2019 3:31:13 PM)

Taking advantage of this gathering of grogs to pose a question :)

If there would ever be an "ATP" or an "AT2" how important would it be that it is backwards compatible with .at2 scenarios for you all?

Best wishes,
Vic

Ridcully70 -> RE: People stll playing ATG (10/21/2019 3:32:25 PM)

I've been returning to ATG recently. I've been trying to get into the Gary Grigsby games and HOI 4 but I just find ATG a more satisfying gaming experience overall. I wouldn't be that interested in another WW2 mod but I would like to see the release of a further improved version of ATG, perhaps "Advanced Tactics Gold Commander's Edition" or something.

ernieschwitz -> RE: People stll playing ATG (10/21/2019 7:14:38 PM)

quote:

If there would ever be an "ATP" or an "AT2" how important would it be that it is backwards compatible with .at2 scenarios for you all?

For me it depends on what would be the trade-off. Are we getting a lot of new features that are not available and could not be available without a reprogramming of the core? Naturally being backwards compatible would be a boon, but if not, it would mean that the best could probably be redone again.

Twotribes -> RE: People stll playing ATG (10/21/2019 9:39:56 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vic

Best wishes,
Vic

How hard is it to code a new game to have a selection to play the old stuff?

Ormand -> RE: People stll playing ATG (10/22/2019 3:48:23 AM)

Overall, I have loved this game partly because it gives a lot of control to us as well. I have spent a lot of time on it since I decided to to make a mod before ATG came out and I got so far along that I couldn't give it up. So, I enjoy it for a lot of challenges. Also, I am not sure I want to go through the trouble of learning a whole new system, so I keep coming back to ATG.

I mostly ply against AI because I am a bit too busy to get involved in play-by-email and let someone else hanging until I can get back to it. Now that I think I have FourSeasons reasonably settled, I am trying to turn to a few historical scenarios. But, even with its flaws, this a great game system and has given me a lot of pleasure.

Ormand -> RE: People stll playing ATG (10/22/2019 3:58:55 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vic

Best wishes,
Vic

Interesting question. I suppose that with all the effort I have put in, I would answer that I would appreciate that very much thank you. But, it would depend I guess on how much more got added. What I like is the flexibility of the system. You basically allow us to take it over and remake it. I can only say, wow.

Having spent a lot of time to remake the graphics, I am not likely to do that again if it is not rather simple to do.

I would generally say that if the current engine is, in your opinion, limiting in regards to what you think can be done, then, I would push forward and deliver the product that you would like to have. I would suggest something similar in its flexibility because I tend to think that is what has led to its longevity and loyal following.

ernieschwitz -> RE: People stll playing ATG (10/22/2019 4:57:54 AM)

To echo Ormands request that thigs be similar. It would for instance be great if things would somehow be transferable. I.e. that a scenario map could be translated, and similar.

Vic -> RE: People stll playing ATG (10/22/2019 9:26:59 AM)

Well for the moment I have my plate full finishing Shadow Empire. After that there is a mystery title coming after it.
But I think at some time after Advanced Tactics deserves some love.

ArmouredLion -> RE: People stll playing ATG (10/22/2019 3:57:38 PM)

Hey, Bombur... been meaning to reply... But been so damn busy. ATG & the 38 mod had me at hello and likely till I get dressed up in a coffin. No game offers a "general" the options to express themselves as they both do. Absolutely stellar titles. My problem is the juice isn't there to play as I'd like. Because of all the options, it demands full CPU power from the noodle, and I rarely have that these days. I was so into our game as Germany... but, my daughter is now homeschooling age and that's two hard heads I have to teach, plus all the other jazz. Only thing I play with much zeal is SC because the turns are 15-30 min. BUT, I'd prefer ATG and 38. Again, NO GAME I have found is as engaging. I do still play ATG though... as you know, as the Chinese... and I give my all there :)

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI