RE: USAF retires floppy discs (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

Gridley380 -> RE: USAF retires floppy discs (10/21/2019 5:25:08 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hanzberger

I think I have some key punch cards laying around somewhere. We use to type notes to each other in class.

I would type, "Help! I'm trapped inside the keypunch machine" and leave the card in the machine.

Brilliant. :-)

I hope everyone here who has used punch cards realizes that you have experience with WWII technology? :-)

rustysi -> RE: USAF retires floppy discs (10/21/2019 11:05:02 PM)

quote:

backup was not a top priority in those days....

Old school. Backup is always a top priority.

Still backup my game about once every game month to a tumbdrive. Saved my butt when I had a system crash a while back.

Hanzberger -> RE: USAF retires floppy discs (10/23/2019 10:10:40 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

quote:

Still backup my game about once every game month to a tumbdrive. Saved my butt when I had a system crash a while back.

I need to do this...

obvert -> RE: USAF retires floppy discs (10/23/2019 10:13:04 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hanzberger

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

quote:

I need to do this...

dropbox.

Apollo11 -> RE: USAF retires floppy discs (10/23/2019 11:46:19 AM)

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Anybody else remember 'notching' a corner of a SSDD to make it-voila!-a DSDD? With a hole punch? Of course, this also reduced the reliability of the disc too-sometimes you'd overbite the notch and mess the disc up. But it was a quick and dirty way to double your capability.

I bought "shoe box size" 5.25" floppy drive for my Commodore C64 in USA in 1986... ahhh... fond memories... [:)]

I, of course, was buying SSDDs and then "notching" them to become DSDDs... [8D]

Leo "Apollo11"

Ian R -> RE: USAF retires floppy discs (10/23/2019 2:30:07 PM)

Has anyone mentioned on this thread that in the late 80s one of the NASA suppliers (???Texas Instruments???) had to re-create a production line to build tape drives to keep the 70s tech space shuttles going?

I suppose there must have been some reason they couldn't upgrade the on-board computers to something approximating a 286-XT device with 3.5" floppies and a wopping 40Mb hard disk, but they didn't.

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI