PC Gamer magazine giving free publicity to SPWaW (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

Grenadier -> PC Gamer magazine giving free publicity to SPWaW (7/8/2003 2:06:04 AM)

SPWaW and my series on Cross of Iron have been given a full page in the August issue of PC Gamer magazine and Wargamer has the articles on their home page. This is generating a lot of renewed interest in SPWaW and the downloads are rising again.

Amazing for a free game:eek:

bchapman -> (7/8/2003 2:31:46 AM)

Brent,
Congrats to you and Matrix!!:cool:
I'm still surprised by the longevity/popularity of this game (SPWAW) and must give the credit to people like yourself (and all the others of course) that keep our interest up.
Keep up the good work,:D

sztartur2 -> (7/8/2003 4:50:07 AM)

Where exactly can we read the article at wargamer?

Congrats for You and Matrix.

Artur.

bchapman -> (7/8/2003 5:10:20 AM)

[URL=http://www.wargamer.com/articles/cross_of_iron/]Cross of Iron[/URL]

junk2drive -> (7/8/2003 8:22:27 AM)

thats where i found out about this game in the first place maybe two years ago. they had a special issue, 10 best games or something like that. took me a while to find the forums though. it has been on their web page for a long time. i dont think they ever change it. they want u to buy the mag. i quit because their free disc would never work in my lowly computer. maybe ill try again.

Les_the_Sarge_9_1 -> (7/8/2003 9:09:10 AM)

I have nothing nice to say about computer magazines for the most part. But it is nice when they actually DO in fact do something nice.

So I will not look a gift horse in the mouth.

But dang, wish they would publish a NO DEMO cd option for the main mags, because some of us might like a cheap realistically priced publication, that doesn't include a commonly worthless normally low interest value included cd.

I wasted 11 bucks once on one to get a Steel Panthers copy on disk. Cd didn't work, and to this day I have been bitter.

I am only here because my "Complete Wargames Collection" set I purchased has original Steel Panthers as one of the titles. And from there I was able to enjoy the game for the first crutial time.

But it is Matrix Games that brought me fully into computer wargaming, and it was my dedication to seeing my hard drive visit a friends computer so I could burn it to cd way back in 4.something version, that allowed me get going with SPWaW.

I think the future of good computer gaming and computer wargaming will be best served through dynamic online magazines (which is what I feel best sums up online forums). Paper editions is just not worth it in so many cases.

degen -> (7/11/2003 12:40:42 PM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Les the Sarge 9-1
[B]I have nothing nice to say about computer magazines for the most part. But it is nice when they actually DO in fact do something nice.

So I will not look a gift horse in the mouth.

But dang, wish they would publish a NO DEMO cd option for the main mags, because some of us might like a cheap realistically priced publication, that doesn't include a commonly worthless normally low interest value included cd.

I wasted 11 bucks once on one to get a Steel Panthers copy on disk. Cd didn't work, and to this day I have been bitter.

I am only here because my "Complete Wargames Collection" set I purchased has original Steel Panthers as one of the titles. And from there I was able to enjoy the game for the first crutial time.

But it is Matrix Games that brought me fully into computer wargaming, and it was my dedication to seeing my hard drive visit a friends computer so I could burn it to cd way back in 4.something version, that allowed me get going with SPWaW.

I think the future of good computer gaming and computer wargaming will be best served through dynamic online magazines (which is what I feel best sums up online forums). Paper editions is just not worth it in so many cases. [/B][/QUOTE]

Les, I'm not advertising for anybody here, but PC Gamer does publish a no demo version of its magazine for $20-something a year in US$. What I like about PC Gamer over others is that it has wargaming column each month and also gives limited coverage to wargames its reviews. In fact, I was surprised by a the inclusion last month of a review of Wild Bill's squad level Korea game (forget the game's name). I too was burned by buying the retail version of this magazine to get the CD with SPWAW on it that never worked. But all in all, the continued coverage of SPWAW, and Matrix Games, in PC Gamer has been encouraging to me. :D

Fallschirmjager -> (7/11/2003 12:52:44 PM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by degen
[B]Les, I'm not advertising for anybody here, but PC Gamer does publish a no demo version of its magazine for $20-something a year in US$. What I like about PC Gamer over others is that it has wargaming column each month and also gives limited coverage to wargames its reviews. In fact, I was surprised by a the inclusion last month of a review of Wild Bill's squad level Korea game (forget the game's name). I too was burned by buying the retail version of this magazine to get the CD with SPWAW on it that never worked. But all in all, the continued coverage of SPWAW, and Matrix Games, in PC Gamer has been encouraging to me. :D [/B][/QUOTE]

William trotter is a real friend to the wargaming community
and PC game regualry reviews wargames other places dont touch

Les_the_Sarge_9_1 -> (7/11/2003 6:30:34 PM)

I will keep that in mind.

I usually support any enterprise that earns the support of a wargamer.

Bing -> (7/12/2003 5:22:20 AM)

Order a game - any game - from Chips and Bits. They will flood you with free computer magazines, without the CD's. I haven't bought a game form them for about a year, so am not getting the freebies anymore. Once you start getting the free mags, there will eventually be an "invoice" for continued subscription. Throw it out. Unlike some organizations, there are no automatic extensions which are charged to your credit card (I had this happen with Bank One Visa).

That is, I think Chips and Bits still does this. You can call them on an 800 number during working hours, they are in a small town in Vermont.

Nice outfit, the only vendor I wil trust with an advance order - aka pre-order, which it can't be because that would mean I am ordering the item before I order it. I don't know how to do that. I know how to do an advance order.

C&B doesn't talk much, they just have price and excellent service. Before somebody stgarts yellling: Regular USPO Priority service, no extra charge, they do it on their own, you don't pay ANYTHING extra. It's included in the price, OK?

Bing

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI