Exporting from the Commanders Report (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series

countrboy -> Exporting from the Commanders Report (11/20/2019 10:36:19 PM)

I tried to export data from the Commanders Report, but when I open the file in Excel it's largely unusable due to the formatting of the data. Is there a way around this?

Chris21wen -> RE: Exporting from the Commanders Report (11/21/2019 4:54:37 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: countrboy

I tried to export data from the Commanders Report, but when I open the file in Excel it's largely unusable due to the formatting of the data. Is there a way around this?

There's a huge amount of data and the export is a simple way of providing access to it by the designer. Once it's exported it's up to sort it. Use column A, which identifies the different section (tab reports), and copy and paste the bits you want to a separate sheet.

countrboy -> RE: Exporting from the Commanders Report (11/21/2019 5:21:16 AM)

The problem is that when I open the file all of the data is in Column A. Each line is simply one long string of characters, all in Column A. It's completely unformatted.
I would post a screenshot but don't know how.

deep42 -> RE: Exporting from the Commanders Report (11/21/2019 8:15:52 AM)

countrboy,

the exportfile is a Tab seperated CSV file. If you use (a newer) Excel you should not use File > Open, but create a new empty Excel sheet, then use Data tab > From Text. Select the file and click import, then set data type to delimited and set delimiters to Tab.

More for example here: https://www.copytrans.net/support/how-to-open-a-csv-file-in-excel/
https://www.hesa.ac.uk/support/user-guides/import-csv or check the Excel docs

HTH
Peter

thedoctorking -> RE: Exporting from the Commanders Report (11/21/2019 4:33:24 PM)

And if you are importing into an existing spreadsheet, open the export file in Notepad or some similar text editor and copy-paste.

countrboy -> RE: Exporting from the Commanders Report (11/21/2019 9:06:47 PM)

Thanks deep42, will give that a try, sounds like the fix.

Chris21wen -> RE: Exporting from the Commanders Report (11/22/2019 6:15:07 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: thedoctorking

And if you are importing into an existing spreadsheet, open the export file in Notepad or some similar text editor and copy-paste.

I use Libre and it asks you what separator you want to use whenever you open a CSV. I always thought excel did to!

dmh0667FU -> RE: Exporting from the Commanders Report (5/7/2020 12:41:14 AM)

Thanks, y'all, this helped, IMMENSELY![&o]

And now to some Data-Mining.....

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI