I have enough wargames (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

MrsWargamer -> I have enough wargames (11/29/2019 1:14:59 PM)

I imagine enough of us can say this. I'd venture MOST of us can say this :)

Someone once bought me a game here, just because I politely asked. You guys are indeed great.

This Christmas, I challenge the membership to make good use of this opportunity (the great sale prices), and demonstrate to the rest of the membership how great your favourite game is, by buying it for another gamer that has not seen it yet.

In my time, I have bought Battle Academy for two other individuals. That was a bit back in time though.

So, after my month's finances are sorted out, I'm going to try and make the effort to buy someone a game if I can.

There likely won't be any prize for doing this, aside from the smile you create from having done it.

wodin -> RE: I have enough wargames (11/29/2019 1:16:46 PM)

No, never enough, same with money, never enough.

I've still yet to play a tactical wargame that has EVERYTHING I want be that board or digital. Until then I will always be on the look out.

Edit: I've had more than enough cookie cutter seen it done it wargames (though I think x4 type games are the worse for it). We need innovation like DC Barbarossa, Radio Commander, Second Front (possibly), Burden of Command (again hopefully), Stalingrad game by Desert War crew (fingers crossed), Shadow Empire and the likes. Even my little brain can think of a few new mechanics\features in Wargames that think abit outside of the box. On the whole I still think digital wargames are rooted in one degree or another to the old board wargame mechanics. I'd like to see some designs that forget board wargames ever existed and tackle it solely from a digital angle. Even those that take the traditional way shall we call it annoy me when it feels that design choices that had to be made because of the formats restrictions rather than by choice are carried on into the digital format, which usually removes those restrictions totally (calculations, book keeping etc). If the game is a straight board game conversion I get it, if not it kind of baffles me. For instance a wargame gets a negative mark if it uses some kind of abstract percentage when dealing with strength and casualties etc. I want men and equipment counted. This annoys me no matter the scale. I suppose more so in tactical games. No need for a game using say squad size counters to only have full squad and half squad..again a restriction imposed by the boardgame format. With the PC individuals should be counted, only Squad Battles and STeel Panthers I can think of have done it this way. I'm rambling...hehe

Anyway maybe if alot of people feel the way you do MrsWargamer it could be just because digital wargames are feeling abit stale? New ways of doing things are needed. Exciting and innovative wargames. That's what's needed.

rico21 -> RE: I have enough wargames (11/29/2019 2:48:19 PM)

I have too wargames, I need time to play them. I want to become eternal to play all of them but I know I must die and I have to chooze between paradise and hell games.[:D]

zakblood -> RE: I have enough wargames (11/29/2019 2:50:09 PM)

i'm a collector and tester, don't have much time to play much anymore, but will play them all one day when i do[;)]

sPzAbt653 -> RE: I have enough wargames (11/29/2019 8:38:39 PM)

quote:

New ways of doing things are needed. Exciting and innovative wargames. That's what's needed.

I get stuck on this thought. If developer's can't get the original ways of doing things right, how can we expect innovation? What I mean is, all I need is a Third Reich, a V for Victory, and a Panzer Blitz/Leader. That covers everything; Strategic, Operational and Tactical. Once someone can get that right, then I think development can move into exciting innovations. Until then, we are left roaming the halls of mediocrity.

IslandInland -> RE: I have enough wargames (11/29/2019 10:50:59 PM)

You can never have too much money, never be too beautiful, and never have too much wargame(s).

MrsWargamer...you wrong.

Maybe change your name to MrsLessWargamer?

[:D]

Zorch -> RE: I have enough wargames (11/30/2019 12:16:40 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: IslandInland

You can never have too much money, never be too beautiful, and never have too much wargame(s).

MrsWargamer...you wrong.

Maybe change your name to MrsLessWargamer?

[:D]

Shocking! It's heresy to say you have too many wargames! Where is Mrs. W, and what have you done with her?

MrsWargamer -> RE: I have enough wargames (11/30/2019 11:39:31 AM)

Guys yer responses are hillarious :) I loved them :)

I did like sPzAbt653 take on things though.

Zovs -> RE: I have enough wargames (11/30/2019 12:05:14 PM)

Back when I played and collected board war games, I had around 500 of those things and I still was getting subs from S&T, WWII and Modern Combat (a game every other month).

I still collect war games albeit digital ones now-a-days. I have over one hundred I think, but only play about half a dozen.

Zovs -> RE: I have enough wargames (11/30/2019 12:05:34 PM)

Forgot to add...

You can never have enough war games...

wodin -> RE: I have enough wargames (11/30/2019 12:53:02 PM)

I bet even with 500 wargames there will still be times you're sat there and nothing is appealing to be played, an itch you can't scratch and probably couldn't say exactly what type of game would relieve said itch.

My go too at these times is an audible book.

Zovs -> RE: I have enough wargames (11/30/2019 2:00:13 PM)

Wodin you got that right 100%!

There were times when I was just looking at the bookshelves and thinking I have no idea what I want to play, and yet I had hundreds of games to pick from. So sometimes can we go back to that whole nostalgia thing, and you would go back with the board wargames and sometimes you just pick one up or selected based on memories of say March 4, 1975 and then when you opened up The box and smelled the paper and cardboard that was 35 years old it brought back more memories of a time when you were a teenager and opening it up for the very first time.

Topson4 -> RE: I have enough wargames (12/6/2019 10:25:12 AM)

I love them:)

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI