Install and Scenarios (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Tech Support

ewan_lawson2002 -> Install and Scenarios (12/18/2019 9:18:59 AM)

Probably an error of judgement on my part but I installed TOAW4 to my D drive and I can now only see the three tutorial scenarios although the others are all in the folder on the D drive. I also have folder under documents/my games but this has no scenarios in it.
Any advice before I try a reinstall would be welcome.
Thanks
Ewan

Shadrach -> RE: Install and Scenarios (12/18/2019 9:55:32 AM)

Try selecting the Folder button in game [;)]

Installing on D should be no problem at all. In fact I'd recommend it for several reasons.

The scenario folders under Documents are for custom/downloaded scenarios you install yourself.

ewan_lawson2002 -> RE: Install and Scenarios (12/18/2019 9:59:42 AM)

So when I click on that button I get a path not recognised button and the game crashes...

Shadrach -> RE: Install and Scenarios (12/18/2019 10:06:12 AM)

OK that's not supposed to happen [X(]

What is the exact path you install the game?

ewan_lawson2002 -> RE: Install and Scenarios (12/18/2019 10:10:48 AM)

D:\programme files (x86)\Matrix Games\The Operational Art of War IV
The scenarios are all in the folder under this

Shadrach -> RE: Install and Scenarios (12/18/2019 10:20:34 AM)

So you've moved the full Program Files (x86) folder to the D: drive? Or have you just created a new folder called "Program Files (x86)"?
To clarify: Is the TOAW4 the only folder in that Program Files?

Is your OS in a language other than English?

ewan_lawson2002 -> RE: Install and Scenarios (12/18/2019 10:30:24 AM)

On installing I just changed the default from c: to d: and left everything else as it was.
The system language is English

Shadrach -> RE: Install and Scenarios (12/18/2019 10:34:51 AM)

Right. Try to Uninstall and then delete the D:\Program Files folder (if there's nothing else there that is)
Then install to for instance "D:\Games". I.e. Change full path to:
"D:\Games\The Operational Art of War IV\"

Maybe the folder name causes some issues.
I have the game at "F:\games".

ewan_lawson2002 -> RE: Install and Scenarios (12/18/2019 10:37:37 AM)

Okay, will try that. Should I delete the files in Documents as well?

Shadrach -> RE: Install and Scenarios (12/18/2019 10:41:30 AM)

If it's the first time you install the game and there are no settings/mods you want to keep, then delete the Documents folder as well just to be sure.

ewan_lawson2002 -> RE: Install and Scenarios (12/18/2019 11:01:54 AM)

Well that's weird. I just did as you suggested and it is exactly the same. Only the tutorial scenarios are visible and when I click on the Folder button I get a message dialogue box titled 'Directory Create' with the words System cannot find path specified. If I then click OK (no other option) the Directory Create box then shows C;\users\ewan_\One Drive\Documents\MyGames\The Operational Art of War IV\Scenarios\Custom Graphics

ewan_lawson2002 -> RE: Install and Scenarios (12/18/2019 11:07:33 AM)

I seem to have solved it. The latest patch did it although I checked the original install and it said it was up to date. Thanks for the assistance

Shadrach -> RE: Install and Scenarios (12/18/2019 11:13:35 AM)

Well, that would likely mean something else than the actual install location is going wrong.

C;\users\ewan_\One Drive\Documents\MyGames\The Operational Art of War IV\Scenarios\Custom Graphics

I assume the semicolon is meant to be a colon? And "MyGames" is supposed to have a space. Does you username contain an underscore "_" ?

But why is it trying to create it in "One Drive"? Try turning off One Drive and see it it helps.
The full path to the Documents folder should be:
C:\users\ewan_\Documents\My Games\The Operational Art of War IV\Scenarios\Custom Graphics

Does the Custom Graphics path exist at that location?
When the game first starts it will likely try to create any Scenario-folders in Documents that are not there already, and this fails and then crashes the game.

There might be a file called "toaw.log" or similar in the Documents folder. Are you able to upload the log here or for instance https://pastebin.com/ ?

Also, are you running an anti-virus? If so try temporarily disabling it and try again (not install just open).

(Tip: you don't need to type out full path, just click the address in Windows Explorer to select and then copy it)

Shadrach -> RE: Install and Scenarios (12/18/2019 11:38:10 AM)

Oh I didn't notice your extra post there LOL [:D]
No worries then!

In fact I remember now the very same issues after the .20 patch:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=4566677
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4568123

I have no idea why they'd make the full installer the .20 version instead of the .21 version, after all they've had enough time to build a new installer... [8|]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI