Files for World War III mod (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Mods and Scenarios

markb50k -> Files for World War III mod (1/3/2020 3:19:46 AM)

I was asked if it was possible to get my World War III mod files, so I am going to post it here.

Instructions: In the zip file is a MWIF directory with subdirectories. Simply copy the subdirectories into your MWIF folder and it will overwrite a few files:
- unit bitmaps
- map data
- a saved game that is the starting point of the mod

Notes:
- *** please backup your current MWIF directory because several files will be overwritten in the Bitmaps and Data directories
- *** or just create a new MWIF directory you can use as a clean copy

- *** this mod is to be considered AS-IS. It is not a plug-in-play mod where you wont have to deal with the repercussions of nearly a complete overhaul of the Global War scenario. Do not expect this to be a polished edit to the game. MWIF is old, and I dont have the ability to edit the game code, so you have to live with a FUNCTIONAL game that works, but you'll have to accept the warts.

- *** I do not recommend this mod if you don't have any experience with the game files and some capability to edit text files and CSV files.

- *** I will help with issues as best I can. Just post them here. I've done plenty of mods for other games, but MWIF is not like other games and is very touchy about edits.

- *** I can even give some help if you wish to edit the mod, but you will have to meet me halfway. You must have some idea what you're doing already and just need some pointers. I don't think I have the capability to teach you how to mod the game.

Now that I got all the disclaimers out of the way, lets get to the good stuff. USER MANUAL.

In general, this mod will run without issue, except for little things you should be aware of.
- Since this is 1989 instead of 1939, the world is much further along from infrastructure, industry, etc.
- There are more factories outside of the standard factory countries in MWIF
- There are more rail lines in many areas.

- To simulate East vs West some allowances had to be made
- the US is the only Allied country, and all the Allied territory is part of the US Home Country
- the USSR is actually Germany, and all the Warsaw Pact territory is part of the German Home Country

- Due to the large number of factories, and the production multiple the US starts with, the Allied side actually exceeds the game limit of build points which is a game-limited 255. When you get to the Production phase you'll likely have to manual edit the save game (its a simple edit that can be done quickly, and I can show you how)

- The save game starts on Impulse 3, September/Oct 1939. There aren't any political things left to be done like claiming Borderlands etc, I got you all past that stuff.

- Since I don't particularly enjoy convoy operations, you'll notice an abundance of convoy globally. If you need assistance I can help with reducing their number or removing some.

- Obviously with only two countries active in the game, you can imagine that you'll probably have to implement your own house rules to prevent yourself from placing reinforcements that are named 'UK' in Mexico, etc.

- I'm sure there are other things, but just post questions or PM to me. I don't want to spend too much time explaining everything because first I have no idea if anyone cares, if anyone will even DL it and need help, etc.

Thanks, everyone. Hopefully you enjoy it. Its a fun as heck scenario, but you'll have to deal with the massive update and the idiosyncratic nature of the MWIF engine.

Mark

Courtenay -> RE: Files for World War III mod (1/3/2020 3:15:47 PM)

Thank you very much for all your work.

I honestly don't know if I will ever play it, but it is nice to have it.

(I own far to many games I will never play. War in the Pacific comes to mind immediately, but how could I NOT buy a game with individual maps for every single island in the Pacific? (OK. They missed three. Those were made available in an errata.))

markb50k -> RE: Files for World War III mod (1/3/2020 8:57:56 PM)

Hey thanks! Yeah this has just been a personal goal I’ve had for a while.

Even if people don’t play this, if people get ideas for their own mods based on seeing what I did here, that’s cool too.

jtcourtne -> RE: Files for World War III mod (1/5/2020 1:24:46 AM)

The mod looks good! I use JSGME Mod Enabler to quickly automate the mod installation while preserving the default installation. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

markb50k -> RE: Files for World War III mod (1/5/2020 4:11:38 AM)

Cool. I didn’t know such a thing existed

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI