Swordfish don't upgrade to Albacore (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support

Garfield -> Swordfish don't upgrade to Albacore (1/21/2020 5:43:08 PM)

Hi Everybody,

I have an issue with the Squadron 810 based on the CV Illustrious : the Swordfish do not upgrade to Albacore. I have enought plane in the pool and I have tested several situation :

- planes based on the CV (disbanded, docked, not docked, at sea...)
- planes based on ground (Colombo & Darwin, Airfield level of 7 minimum with more than 100k of supplies)
- I rezided the group several times too

I do not understand why the planes are not upgrading [:(]

Thank you for your help

btd64 -> RE: Swordfish don't upgrade to Albacore (1/21/2020 5:50:20 PM)

I don't have the game running at the moment but I think the Albacore isn't CV capable. Is the squadron on the ship or the ground? Wasn't clear in your post....GP

821Bobo -> RE: Swordfish don't upgrade to Albacore (1/21/2020 5:56:02 PM)

Albacore is CV capable

btd64 -> RE: Swordfish don't upgrade to Albacore (1/21/2020 5:59:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: 821Bobo

Albacore is CV capable

Thank you....GP

btd64 -> RE: Swordfish don't upgrade to Albacore (1/21/2020 6:00:20 PM)

Another thought. Are there any in the pool?....GP

821Bobo -> RE: Swordfish don't upgrade to Albacore (1/21/2020 6:12:51 PM)

From the screenshot it looks like there should be no issue. Click on Albacore I and then "No upgrade possible" should turn to "Upgrade...".

btd64 -> RE: Swordfish don't upgrade to Albacore (1/21/2020 6:23:28 PM)

Try putting the squadron on the base. Then try to upgrade....GP

HansBolter -> RE: Swordfish don't upgrade to Albacore (1/21/2020 6:31:52 PM)

Not all squadrons have the same upgrade paths.

Have you examined the squadron's upgrade path?
A screenshot of it would be extremely helpful, but may make further comment moot.

The Albacore is only available in limited numbers.

I ran the pool dry by converting too many squadrons to them.

btd64 -> RE: Swordfish don't upgrade to Albacore (1/21/2020 7:12:05 PM)

good point Hans....GP

HansBolter -> RE: Swordfish don't upgrade to Albacore (1/21/2020 7:24:13 PM)

If PDU is on and the upgrade path is not to Albacores, you may be able to change that path with a PP expenditure, but beware upgrading too many squadrons to this air frame as the pool is limited.

GetAssista -> RE: Swordfish don't upgrade to Albacore (1/21/2020 8:04:28 PM)

Your screenshot shows that your upgrade is still set to Swordfish. You should select Albacores from the list until you see "Upgrade - Albacore I (52)" in the airgroup window

Barb -> RE: Swordfish don't upgrade to Albacore (1/22/2020 11:55:08 AM)

Yup, the upgrade path is from the current airframe "Swordfish I" to upgrade to "Swordfish I", then to "Albacore I" and finally to "Barracuda II".

As you have 0 "Swordfish I" in the pool the first step of the upgrade wont happen.

However IIRC there is a code AI is using (but works for human player too) that can SKIP upgrade steps - if unit is left on with "Upgrade" option ON and some planes in the future upgrade step ("Albacore I") the squadron should go to "Albacore I" skipping the first or even several upgrade steps. This code is triggered during turn execution (replay - "Message upgrading Air units" or something). Conditions should be - Ship disbanded in port, enough supplies and/or in range of Air HQ with enough supplies, "Upgrade" ON. E.G. This way a unit that arrive in 1945 with P-40B Warhawks could upgrade directly to P-51H Mustangs within one upgrade instead of going up the ladder to P-40E, P-40K, P-51A and P-51D. Or on the other side of the "pool" the kamikaze unit arriving with Ki-27 Nate can jump directly to Ki-84r Frank through several Ki-43 Oscar models and Ki-84a Frank.

If you want to do the change manually during the player order phase - on the second screen (where the airframes are available) you should manually select "Albacore I" and return to unit screen. Then the "Upgrade" button should display "Upgrade - Albacore I" and there should be "Upgrade Now" available.

[image]local://upfiles/24245/C5FF2CC674EA4482856F564FBC23D030.jpg[/image]

Alfred -> RE: Swordfish don't upgrade to Albacore (1/22/2020 1:34:42 PM)

The AI doesn't skip models.  There is no "code trick" to do so.

This very same unit and issue has been previously addressed in the correct forum which is the main AE forum, not the tech sub forum.  The best thread is:

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3532136&mpage=1&key=upgrade&#3532964

Pay attention to witpqs and my posts in that thread.

Alfred

Garfield -> RE: Swordfish don't upgrade to Albacore (1/22/2020 3:12:03 PM)

Thank you for your help guys

I have my answer now: because the PDU is set to "off" I cannot upgrade the planes. I'm stuck with the Swordfish forever

Kursk1943 -> RE: Swordfish don't upgrade to Albacore (1/22/2020 3:34:41 PM)

When you are playing against the AI you can switch on/off PDU as often you like.[;)]

HansBolter -> RE: Swordfish don't upgrade to Albacore (1/22/2020 3:39:10 PM)

Never noticed that a scree shot was 'attached'.

If images aren't embedded in the post I tend to never notice them.

Garfield -> RE: Swordfish don't upgrade to Albacore (1/22/2020 4:01:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kursk1943

When you are playing against the AI you can switch on/off PDU as often you like.[;)]

Unfortunatly I'm playing in a PBEM game [:(]

821Bobo -> RE: Swordfish don't upgrade to Albacore (1/22/2020 5:47:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Garfield

I have my answer now: because the PDU is set to "off" I cannot upgrade the planes. I'm stuck with the Swordfish forever

Screenshot you posted shows future upgrades(Albacore I, Barracuda II) so you should be able to change the model even with pdu off. Barb posted nice step by step guide.

BBfanboy -> RE: Swordfish don't upgrade to Albacore (1/22/2020 5:56:37 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Garfield

I am not sure that is true. Your attachment screenshot shows the upgrade as SwordfishI is selected. Have you tried selecting Albacore? If you have the squadron is set to "Upgrade allowed" and it allows you to change to Albacore, that is a valid upgrade path with the PDU OFF setting and you should be able to set that upgrade. As was mentioned, it may cost PP. If the game does not let you change the upgrade to Albacore, you are indeed stuck with Swordfish.

Once the upgrade to Albacore is accepted by the computer, getting the upgrade to happen is a matter of supply and time. If the carrier is at a large enough base with good supply, there can still be a time lag of days for the aircraft to arrive. During this time "Upgrade now" will be greyed out but at some point the upgrade will happen automatically, or the "Upgrade now" text will turn yellow, indicating the aircraft have made their way from the pools to the base. You can then select "Upgrade now" and get your Albacores.

I had this issue at Colombo and other large bases with lots of supply, and a Command HQ present. The time lag for transferring aircraft from the pools seems to be the only explanation for why it does not happen right away.

Garfield -> RE: Swordfish don't upgrade to Albacore (1/23/2020 5:42:47 PM)

I cannot select Albacore or doing anything else. If click on Albacore, the screen of the plane with the technical information is displayed but I cannot select anaything

Dutch_slith -> RE: Swordfish don't upgrade to Albacore (1/23/2020 6:20:54 PM)

Simply an error in the DB.

Upgrade Path should be like this:

Swordfish I Sept 1937-March 1943
Swordfish II March 1942-March 1943
Albacore I Jan 1943
Barracuda II April 1943-July 1945
Barracuda TR.III Feb 1945-Aug 1945

Kull -> RE: Swordfish don't upgrade to Albacore (1/23/2020 9:20:05 PM)

It is a carrier-capable air unit. Perhaps you could put it on a carrier and resize it to something like a size-2 airframe unit and send the other 5 airframes into the pool. Since now there are "enough" of the Swordfish I airframes to perform an upgrade, perhaps it will let you upgrade to the 2/42 Swordfish I?

Please be aware that I haven't tested any of this, but unless somebody knows it's impossible, perhaps give it a try?

Dutch_slith -> RE: Swordfish don't upgrade to Albacore (1/24/2020 6:14:33 AM)

To finalize an upgrade path in the editor you repeat entry of the last aircraft in the path. This happened here. Should have been Swordfish II instead of the Mark I. No way to upgrade the Swordfish I. You have to edit the Air Group using the DB-Editor.

Kull -> RE: Swordfish don't upgrade to Albacore (1/24/2020 4:23:45 PM)

Well, I ran a test using the May 1942 Scenario and can confirm that it does not work. Resizing and/or having plenty of Swordfish I airframes in the upgrade pool makes no difference. I was aware of the "repeated upgrade" as a means of closing down the upgrade sequence, but was hoping it might be overridden by the existence of subsequent upgrades on the list. Apparently not.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI