I think it's time for a dedicated H2H subforum for Panzer Leo (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

Les_the_Sarge_9_1 -> I think it's time for a dedicated H2H subforum for Panzer Leo (7/16/2003 1:18:36 AM)

Few things Steel Panthers earn respect enough to be special enough to get their own sub forum.

But I would like to see what support we have in setting up a sub forum in Steel Panthers land, for a sub forum dedicated to Panzer Leos's definitely sterling mod H2H.

I think his mod merits a dedicated sub forum so his useful contributions and relevant threads are all kept close at hand to each other and organised.

Arto -> (7/16/2003 1:42:36 AM)

I agree!

chief -> (7/16/2003 1:46:51 AM)

You have my vote for a seperate H2H forum sub forum.:) :cool:

Charles2222 -> (7/16/2003 2:05:45 AM)

I wouldn't push too much here, afterall, wasn't this to be his "final" version? Despite images that may be to the contrary, doesn't doing something like this basically "set him up" to doing more than was his intent?

Les_the_Sarge_9_1 -> (7/16/2003 2:30:12 AM)

Well yes and no.

Steel Panthers is unlikely to see anything new happen to it, but it won't stop us actively discussing it.

Threads can be soooo much more about what new changes might be considered.

There is always the topics of what makes it different.

There are those that might wish to devote time to make things for it like scenarios.

I think it could justify it's existence in it's own way.

Jack -> (7/16/2003 2:32:21 AM)

Charles 22
I think what Les the Sarge was getting at is people who don't know much about it will have all the information at their fingertips. Not to mention making it easier for Panzer Leo to answer questions. In some ways PL will be less busy because he won't have to answer the same question twice.
Personally I only play the H2H version and only PBEM games.

Les_the_Sarge_9_1 -> (7/16/2003 4:02:40 AM)

Bang on target Jack.

If H2H was not as good as it is to its fans, there would be no value in giving it special accomodations in a sub forum.

I personally think the mod has earned as much of a following as the Mega Campaigns.

I was more or less just reflecting that it would be best served if it had it's on small modest spot here in our corner of Matrix Games.

Warrior -> (7/16/2003 4:23:26 AM)

I would agree with Les except for one thing: I think it's important that those players who haven't tried H2H get a chance to know it a bit through our comments, and then hopefully want to try it. But if it's in a sub-forum the likelihood of them going there, sight unseen, is slim. So I say leave it here in the main Forum.

KG Erwin -> There IS a sub-forum that isn't being used much... (7/16/2003 4:44:59 AM)

...and that's the SPWaW OOB Mods sub-forum inside the OOBs/TOEs main forum. It isn't seeing much traffic lately, so why not concentrate discussion of the H2H Mod there? The only problem I can see in placing an H2H sub-forum under the SPWaW Main Forum is with the imminent release of the 7.2 or 8.0 "official" OOB updates. This could potentially cause much confusion with newcomers to the game's "official" version with the "modded" version. An alternative is to place discussion of H2H on the Wargamer forums.

Alby -> YES!! (7/16/2003 5:05:18 AM)

I agree.
I havnt played Regular version 7.1 since the first H2H came out!!
:) :) :)

Supervisor -> (7/16/2003 5:20:02 AM)

The only problem with a H2H sub-forum might be that it's not a Matrix endorsed or supported product. You'll have to ask the higher ups if they will grant your request. Since when does something have to final to get its own sub-forum.

Alby -> H2H Hall of fame thread (7/16/2003 6:24:57 AM)

Actually
H2H has a thread in the Hall of fame
not exactly its own sub forum but, might help people who wanna try it out.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18344

Charles2222 -> (7/16/2003 7:20:06 PM)

Jack:
quote:

Charles 22
I think what Les the Sarge was getting at is people who don't know much about it will have all the information at their fingertips. Not to mention making it easier for Panzer Leo to answer questions. In some ways PL will be less busy because he won't have to answer the same question twice.
Personally I only play the H2H version and only PBEM games.

I've never known somebody to have a forum, and this stopped in the least them answering the same question twice. Perhaps it does cut down, but also having a forum would likely cut down down on the 'percentage' of the same question, but it also just as likely would field a lot more total htan without a forum. I'm not speaking so much of bad intentions on anyone's part, but the fact remains on how things usually progress in basic human behavior, and at what at one time seemed it was a good idea to discontinue changing the thing, ends up with one doing precisely what one didn't want in the first place. You step onto the path of forums, and it's none too rare that same person, whether they were set-up by themself, or someone else, intentionally or not, ends up going in directions they didn't intend. It's my contention that starting a forum is a pretty strong step in the direction of doing another revision, adn another, and so on. Just a warning, I can see it coming. Conditions now aren't too readily apparent, perhaps because a new version just came out, but enough flaws and enough talk and praise later can change a WHOLE lot of things.

Naturally, Matrix has to approve this as others have stated, but also, more importantly, does Panzer Leo want to take the risk? I sure wouldn't, he'd just be setting himself up in my opinion.

Les_the_Sarge_9_1 -> (7/16/2003 7:40:46 PM)

Supply and demand is all that counts.

I can recall telling people they should just leave the game alone, and stop pestering people for the perfect fix. I think this was back in 4.something.

Now of course, since 4. something we have achieved 3 mega Campaigns, and to my surprise I am even working on the 4th (something I would have thought a silly notion a year ago hehe).

Panzer Leo might himself not want to have a separate forum, hardly an impossible outcome. The notion was more just an observation myself.

A separate forum might help collect and unit H2H relevant comments, or it might do the reverse, and make people unaware where they went (assuming some might look no further than the open comments in the general section of the Steel Panthers forum itself).

As for Matrix Games not wishing to field comments about someone else's efforts, I don't think there is any rationale behind that.
Matrix Games doesn't own Steel Panthers either, it's owned by SSI. They only own the software called Mega Campaigns where Steel Panthers is concerned.
But as H2H is clearly a very well established major mod for the core game, I don't think anyone is ever going to claim it is in some way unworthy.

7.2 is it the end, hmm ask the people that made 7.2 not me. I long ago gave up the notion people would be unable to find the interest to do so.

Combat Leader is just around the corner. The consensus seems to be , so what.
Anyone not actually part of the team designing Combat Leader is obviously not worried about employing time fussing with Steel Panthers.

I would rather like to be spending my money on Combat Leader. But I am perhaps sufficiently realistic, that Combat Leader will have to earn it's keep. Steel Panthers did not leap out of the box as 7.2 after all.
If Combat Leader is only as good as initial release Steel Panthers was from the point of view of software and polish, it will have done Matrix Games proud. Because I for one think Steel Panthers is a good example of a truely great intial relese game.

Sure it got better, a great deal better. But I have seen quite a few games that sucked day one, and sucked through several patches, till finally, it was more or less merely "ok".
Being great day one is a major challenge.

So here is to H2H, simply because Panzer Leo has managed to do what only a very small few of us know how to do, take a great game, and actually do something decisive to actually make a noticable difference.

He might not even want a separate forum himself.

But a special place is in no way indicative he must continually slave over it to the exclusion of all else.

It merely says, excellent job man, we need to give your cool mod its own niche. it won't stop people from talking about it elsewhere, but it would give those that respond to questions a link that would allow us to say, you can find all you need to know right here.

I do that all the time by the way with several games and or sites/forums.

Les_the_Sarge_9_1 -> (7/16/2003 7:48:40 PM)

Oh to further add, and to give it a separate post to give it a separate voice, special forums even if of limited traffic have indeed been made on the request of even single individuals.

Once a good ways back, I personally requested a special forum be created for a specific purpose.

We call it Hall of Heroes, where we gamers can give a compliment, or pay tribute to those in our hobby, that clearly stand above the mob.

There is not a lot of traffic in there, and that means nothing in the end. It is a special place we reserve for special people.

I have looked, and can not find if you have been nominated before, therefore, Panzer Leo, I am putting you in for award in Hall of Heroes.

Clearly your mod is particularly worthy of recognition.

sztartur2 -> (7/16/2003 8:44:34 PM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Les the Sarge 9-1
[B]Bang on target Jack.

If H2H was not as good as it is to its fans, there would be no value in giving it special accomodations in a sub forum.

I personally think the mod has earned as much of a following as the Mega Campaigns.

I was more or less just reflecting that it would be best served if it had it's on small modest spot here in our corner of Matrix Games. [/B][/QUOTE]

I believe the H2H mod has served very well the plopularity of SPWaW.
It is absolutely not against Matrix Games interest to assign a subforum for it IMHO. If H2H goes well SPWaW goes well too.

I definitely vote for the H2H subforum. Or to be more political for the Mods subforum, so it can give place to other moders as well.

Artur.

M4Jess -> (7/16/2003 9:22:02 PM)

I vote YES!

YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!

:D

Les_the_Sarge_9_1 -> (7/16/2003 9:42:51 PM)

Calm down Jess, and get your butt back in testing hehe.

Ya I saw the Walker Bulldog, stop taunting the poor troops.

Gallo Rojo -> (7/16/2003 11:19:18 PM)

I like H2H better than the "official" SPWaW 7.1 ... but I think that have a sub-forum may not be a good idea ... this is because I fell that the discussion is enriched if both SPWaW and H2H fans meet at the same forum

Panzer Leo -> (7/16/2003 11:30:28 PM)

I'm flattened by your support here, guys...thanks :)

Thinking it a bit over now, I have to admit that Charles and a few others have a valid argument not to create a subforum.
I think the most important thing is to keep the general discussion here in our main forum...this is the place everybody joins in...I know from myself, that I regularly forget to look into subforums...I can't do anything about it:rolleyes:

So if we want to have some sort of concentrated H2H content, making it easier to look up things concerning H2H, but we shouldn't devide the crowd, what about creating a "SPWAW H2H mod Hall of Fame", like our normal one, except with H2H content only ?
We could put all discussions of noteworthy length there after they leave the first page of the main forum...should meet both requirements...

if it is possible or not has to be decided on an upper level, but that is what I'd like to ask for...

Jarhead -> Second the Nomination (7/17/2003 5:08:55 AM)

Snipped from Les the Sarge's message,

[I have looked, and can not find if you have been nominated before, therefore, Panzer Leo, I am putting you in for award in Hall of Heroes.

Clearly your mod is particularly worthy of recognition.]

Here Here I second the nomination VERY VERY GOOD mod
:D :D ;)

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI