(Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815

Capitaine -> (7/19/2003 4:46:29 AM)

But you and I are best buds, soapy! I only yank your chain a little, and you mine. ;) :D :cool:

As to that linked map: YUCK

Capitaine -> (7/19/2003 6:32:38 AM)

soapy, here's a little blurb I found at ConsimWorld regarding the issue of the relative popularity of 3R and EiA at an upcoming convention:
quote:

A World at War ("AWAW", the combination of A3R and RS) is in the Worthington Room. We will be playing it for real because by that time the final versions of the rules should at least be submitted to GMT and unable to be changed.

BTW, there are only two people who will be playing A3R and about 16+ playing AWAW.

Paul

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Joel A Tamburo - 01:24pm May 5, 2003 PST (#809 of 1296)
The Ultimate Joelist. Big fan of the WBC.
Hi,

However, you'll have more room in there, because Empires in Arms is no more (nobody stepped up to GM it).
LOL, couldn't find anyone to GM EiA, the most popular strategic game there is, yet the 3R "premier product" is still hot hot hot!!

BTW, I'm not saying one is better, but just that it's far from clear. Obviously, EiA is a good game. 3R and its progeny has clearly been more popular. Imagine if we'd have had a Napoleonic game with that much thought and detail put into it? Maybe Matrix's EiA will do that; I'm hoping anyway...

pasternakski -> (7/19/2003 9:17:22 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Capitaine
[B]Maybe Matrix's EiA will do that; I'm hoping anyway... [/B][/QUOTE]

... but I'm not holding my breath at this point. The deafening silence other than Marshall's general pronouncements from time to time is worrisome to me ...

soapyfrog -> (7/24/2003 2:24:11 AM)

I dunno, I find 3R is not even as good as TSRs ETO/PTO...

But I haven't looked at any of the new stuff.

Capitaine -> (7/24/2003 4:38:12 AM)

One point is, soapy, that people are going to enjoy different games and, to a certain extent, their relative enjoyment will determine perceived quality. IOW, it is possible, I think, to define "good games" and "bad games" in a general sense. However, among those considered good, obviously there will be a great latitude among players who are looking for differing experiences. Personally, I do not like games as much that permit ahistorical diplomacy to a large degree. Therefore, I was more interested in EiA's combat and logistical mechanisms, as well as the hard political rules, as opposed to the pure "Diplomacy" elements involved.

OTOH, 3R (whatever iteration) gave you a historical situation, and rules that limited what nations could do diplomatically, while still allowing some degree of diplomatic maneuvering. Just not as drastic, for that would change the nature of WWII. The "old" 3R is obviously dated, but if you would like to see the "state of the art", go to GMT's P500 site and follow the links to "A World at War". Pretty impressive IMO. :)

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI