Lack of depth data in Great Lakes (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series

Ed49601 -> Lack of depth data in Great Lakes (3/12/2020 10:42:02 PM)

Goofing around I was going to create a scenario with the US versus the attacking Canadians. Much of the Great Lakes, all 5, show elevation data instead of depth data, where we cannot place any ships in water?!?! Is this a bug?

dcpollay -> RE: Lack of depth data in Great Lakes (3/13/2020 12:20:46 AM)

Probably not a bug. Elevations are measured vs. sea level. Since the Lakes drain down into the ocean, much of their depth will still be above sea level.

KnightHawk75 -> RE: Lack of depth data in Great Lakes (3/13/2020 4:43:51 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ed49601

Goofing around I was going to create a scenario with the US versus the attacking Canadians. Much of the Great Lakes, all 5, show elevation data instead of depth data, where we cannot place any ships in water?!?! Is this a bug?

Reminds me of the opposite problem I had with trying to do something near the Mexico\US border around the Salton Sea area'ish and south of it, the areas are below sea level (technically correct) but not actually water, but ground units treated it as sea and navigated dozens of miles around a large area instead of just driving across it (and yeah I could put a sub there if I wanted alternatively lol).

Ed49601 -> RE: Lack of depth data in Great Lakes (3/16/2020 6:04:20 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: dcpollay

Probably not a bug. Elevations are measured vs. sea level. Since the Lakes drain down into the ocean, much of their depth will still be above sea level.

It does have to be a bug or improper input for the lakes. Lake Michigan/Huron level is approximately 690' above sea level. I can move my curser around and find some water depths correct at like 900 feeet, but then end up at +20 feet to +245 feet...

thewood1 -> RE: Lack of depth data in Great Lakes (3/16/2020 6:12:12 PM)

IIRC, devs stated a few times before that the dataset they use doesn't factor in large fresh water lakes.

Ed49601 -> RE: Lack of depth data in Great Lakes (3/16/2020 8:24:08 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: thewood1

IIRC, devs stated a few times before that the dataset they use doesn't factor in large fresh water lakes.

Thank you for that info.

cdnice -> RE: Lack of depth data in Great Lakes (3/25/2020 5:59:22 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ed49601

Hi Ed,

One thing I have done in the past to make the St. Lawrence navigable to Quebec is place ports along the shores so that their navigable cone covers the area that you want ships to be able to traverse. If you are doing a straight shot across Lake Ontario that might do the trick for your needs in this case.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI