[TACVIEW FLAW] Tacview : Enemy Ground units are displayed "underground" (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support

Anwer -> [TACVIEW FLAW] Tacview : Enemy Ground units are displayed "underground" (5/1/2020 4:55:41 PM)

Hi, i guess since about the FOG update i have the problem , that all enemy ground units arn t displayed in Tacview, even if they are detected!!! If they are visible, they are "underground"!!!!! like a submarine under water!!!!, so u cant see them from above but have to turn camera to look under the "floor"!!!!!!. Really strange and sad!!!!! Any idea why this is , and what i can do!!! It s such a great simulation but that kills the fun!!!!

THX!!!!

thewood1 -> RE: Tacview : Enemy Ground units are displayed "underground" (5/1/2020 5:45:01 PM)

Really!!!!!

Anwer -> RE: Tacview : Enemy Ground units are displayed "underground" (5/2/2020 3:37:19 PM)

also made some screenshots here. will load em up, as soon i can convert my pics from png.

hope i can load them up then... is some hard work , but to enjoy this great sim i ll go on .......

got some nice pics that show very well, strange s...t , really strange

Dimitris -> RE: Tacview : Enemy Ground units are displayed "underground" (5/8/2020 8:00:50 AM)

Hi,

This can happen because Tacview's default terrain-elevation set (ETOPO30) and CMO's default terrain set (a modified version of SRTM30-PLUS) differ both in granularity/resolution and also in absolute values. So CMO declares that a land unit is at ASL altitude X, whereas Tacview considers that ground elevation at that point is higher, and thus places the ground unit "underground". (The opposite can also happen, showing the unit "floating on air")

This is a pretty common issue in the defence simulation industry, and most such visualizers solve the issue by forcing ground units to appear at the exact AGL level of their own terrain data, even if the telemetry for the unit would place it above or under ground level (this is commonly called "clamping"). Unfortunately Tacview deliberately avoids clamping, as Frantz (its creator) prefers to use the "raw" altitude values.

If this is a critical point for you, feel free to contact him (https://www.tacview.net/product/en/) and ask for clamping support.

In the meantime, you can download the SRTM30 tileset for Tacview (see here: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4804370), which will provide a better-matching (to CMO) elevation set.

Thanks.

Anwer -> RE: Tacview : Enemy Ground units are displayed "underground" (6/20/2020 6:07:09 PM)

AH ok. THX for the answer !!!!! Really good to know !!!!! I may do that!!!! :)

Japo32 -> RE: Tacview : Enemy Ground units are displayed "underground" (7/11/2020 6:18:29 PM)

Link removed. Can you provide a working link please? Thanks!

renders -> RE: Tacview : Enemy Ground units are displayed "underground" (7/12/2020 12:10:45 AM)

http://warfaresims.slitherine.com/Tacview_SRTM30/

jannas34 -> RE: Tacview : Enemy Ground units are displayed "underground" (12/21/2021 8:26:11 AM)

LOL it's a problem with tavciew that yourgame doesnt work with it

still sell it with as a bundle tho hahaha

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI